Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSkyB tightens grip in Ireland

• 13-05-2003 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

British Sky Broadcasting is continuing to strengthen its position in the Irish market, according to figures published this morning.

The pay-TV group, part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, said that cable subscribers to its channels dropped to 604,000 from 610,000 in the year to March, but it appears that many of those subscribers switched to the company's digital service.

At 31 March, the company had 279,000 digital subscribers, up from 272,000 at the end of 2002 and up 20pc from 232,000 a year earlier.

The company's bid to increase its presence in Ireland was boosted after Irish TV channels RTE One, Network 2, TV3 and TG4 became available for the first time via a Sky TV digital dish last April.

The Government is trying to keep tabs on Sky and may seek changes in a European directive that allows the broadcaster to escape regulations in Ireland. Minister for Communications, Dermot Ahern, wants Sky to come under the control of the Commission for Communications Regulation, which would make it subject to price and quality controls.

===

the 604,000 they talk about, i assume this is via some1 elses cable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by STaN
    the 604,000 they talk about, i assume this is via some1 elses cable?
    Chorus & NTL customers. They all get Sky One so they're all Sky customers too. I presume that Sky also include those with an MMDS service as "cable" when they're totting up the figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Curiously Sky don't count "cancelled" subscribers, who unlike Ex-chorus / NTL subs will mostly still be using Satellite.

If we assume 10% churn then we have close to 330,000 Satellite house holds.

No one knows how many UK /NI digiboxes are here?

If we subtract Dublin City (most cabled bit of Ireland), then I suspect Sky is well ahead..

Advertisement