Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL 1 PC limitation

Options
  • 13-05-2003 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

Quote from IOL Broadband FAQ:

"...the account can only be used from one computer. This is due to the fact that it is a single IP address......"

How serious does anyone think they are about this? I had some email and phone conversations with them about it, trying to get an explanation from them - no chance. Apparently, it's simply part of the offering. I was trying to convince them that if I sign up for a service with one IP address and a download limit, should it not be up to me what I do with it?

I made the point that my current ISP provides one IP address, and doesn't impose similar restrictions, but it fell on deaf ears.

Any thoughts anyone? Or better still, does anyone from IOL/Esat ever drop in here?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by tomk
    Quote from IOL Broadband FAQ:

"...the account can only be used from one computer. This is due to the fact that it is a single IP address......"

How serious does anyone think they are about this? I had some email and phone conversations with them about it, trying to get an explanation from them - no chance. Apparently, it's simply part of the offering. I was trying to convince them that if I sign up for a service with one IP address and a download limit, should it not be up to me what I do with it?

I made the point that my current ISP provides one IP address, and doesn't impose similar restrictions, but it fell on deaf ears.

Any thoughts anyone? Or better still, does anyone from IOL/Esat ever drop in here?

Just ignore them and buy an ADSL router, they won't be able to tell how many computers are connected behind the router, therefore you can stick on as many computers (XBOX, etc.) as you like :)

Just don't expect to get support for your router from them, that is what we and google are for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

That's what I'm inclined to do alright. I'm just wondering would there be any smallprint in their contract that would invalidate that kind of setup.

I suppose I could implement a software router on a PC with a PCI ADSL card - then I could truthfully say that there is only one PC connected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

use ICS either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

the phrasing sounds more like they're trying to explain to people why it won't work for multiple pc's straight off. If you can set it up yourself, they won't care I'd imagine.

Even if they did, it's very hard to detect nat'ing, and in previous discussions about that here and on the ilug, no-one has suggested than any irish isp are even trying.

Greg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by tomk
    That's what I'm inclined to do alright. I'm just wondering would there be any smallprint in their contract that would invalidate that kind of setup.

I suppose I could implement a software router on a PC with a PCI ADSL card - then I could truthfully say that there is only one PC connected!

A router is pretty much the same thing, routers usually contain some sort of OS (Linux, etc.) so you could claim that the DSL is connected to only one PC, the router :)

Anyway, they really have no way of knowing if you are using a router and couldn't prove otherwise unless they had the Gardai raid your house!!!

So don't worry about it and just get a router, that is what almost everyone else here on boards getting bb are doing.

BTW a DSL router is probably a better option then connection sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Thanks all. I reckon I'll go for a router alright - I just wanted some other opinions. Now I just have to wait for IOL/Esat to get moving.....

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

Yeah they cannot know how many computers are connected all your packets in/out will be desinted for 1 IP address and 1 piece of equipment, i.e. your router. I think they say this so that cheapo companies who don't know much and are thinking they can order it end up getting the more expensive options from Esat.

Be warned though if the IOL DSL is anything like Esat broadband you may have trouble connecting your own modem up to it, they use PPPoA rather than the standard PPPoE and alot of the ****tier modems and router/modems only do the latter. That said I heard that the IOL DSL is a re-branded version of eircom's latest offering so if thats the case then it's probably PPPoE too....I'd check with them first to be sure before I bought any equipment.

good luck though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

Single static IP address shouldn't matter a hoot'n'toot; it's the same dealio with Netsource, and it's no problem stuffing a router onto the end of the DSL on self-install.

Besides, a decent Router/Firewall/Gateway should hide the internal details of the network from the rest of the world if it's any cop at all.

RC

Advertisement