Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Birthday IoffL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Of course, this time two years ago it was not called IrelandOffline. The discussion on what to call the baby raged hither and thither on ie.comp , what day was the name agreed, the 17th of May ?

Does anyone remember the Committee fighting the Good Fight back then.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

omg.....CUBIT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Damian

On Mon, 14 May 2001 22:49:57 +0100, David <davdela@hatmail.com> wrote:
    >C.U.N.T. is to the point and relevant. Campaign for Unmetered Net
    >(access) and Technology or variations thereof. 'Rochtain' may be
    >pretty and give you a multitude of orgasms and probably get you a
    >grant, but impact it does not have.

I expect I'll get agreement here when I say ... WE ARE NOT CALLING THE
    ORGANISATION "C.U.N.T." !

--
    Niall O'Keeffe
    --

Hmmm, I don't know I think C.U.N.T. has a nice ring to it.

Snappy, unforgettable, to the point, and it works on so many levels. ;)

I can't imagine why it was rejected!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

That Niall O'Keeffe fellah there saying that he very much doubted that the organisation would end up being called C.U.N.T. ... was me. I was then a member of the committee and I actually voted *against* the IrelandOFFLine name... (god knows why!)

I'm glad it turned out as it did. Keep up the good fight, IOFFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'dve happily marched around in a circle at Eircom/Esat HQ with a placard with C.U.N.T. on it.

Oh, while I'm spamming here. A couple of us are trying to get an ISOC chapter setup in Ireland.

Read the end of this page for more details:

http://www.ethos.org/acorns.html

You can read the start as well, but that's just about some lan thing called Megalan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Wasn't Howard involved in that there thread? The cancelbot must've been working overtime... :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Glad to hear it. Another worthy voluntary organisation lasts the first critical 2 Years!.

As they say in business circles & amongst Bankers! "If a new organisation survives its birth pains, trials and tribulations for the first two years then its future is more than likely assured"

Good news, Eh!

Paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Not really!

If this place (as good as it is) is still around in a few years time then that means its' aims won't have been met - through no fault of its own I might add! - and there'll still be tons of people unhappy with the internet situation throughout the country.

:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I agree with Nyum Nyum. The sooner we achieve our aims and feel free to disband at least the current organisation the better.

Happy birthday to all, especially the happy few who voted on the original name (don't think I voted for IrelandOffline as the name either btw) & the even fewer who made it to the inaugural meeting (there was a photo around somewhere back at the time) - how many of you were there - about 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by sceptre
    ...& the even fewer who made it to the inaugural meeting (there was a photo around somewhere back at the time) - how many of you were there - about 10?

ask and ye shall receieve :D

(Had to do a bit of seraching for that one alright... it's one of the first posts ever on the IOFFL forum... ohhh back in the day!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Congratulations: 2 years old and absolutely **** all done, except people moaning on a discussion board.

You all must be very proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by bubb|les
    Congratulations: 2 years old and absolutely **** all done, except people moaning on a discussion board.

You all must be very proud.
    Morons like this are what is wrong with Ireland. These are the people who knock what others are doing yet have no ideas of their own.

When people try and do something they are there telling you that there's no point and that whatever happens will happen anyway. Nothing new here. There's always been people like that.

No offence to bubb|les, he is merely a symtom of a deeper malaise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by SkepticOne

No offence to bubb|les, he is merely a symtom of a deeper malaise.

I'm sure he'd blame his parents too if he could find them :eek:

Advertisement