Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can u recommend tft monitor??

• 13-05-2003 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

can someone recommend a monitor. Looking for tft screen which isnt going to leave me blind (they should have included a white cane with my current one) and isnt going to cost the earth.

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

PCW Liffey valley have a nice Proview 15" for EUR299, tho' I got it much cheaper than that ;) . Very slim, wall-mountable if you like, w/ speakers built in. Does the trick for me.

RC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I have the 15" Hercules ProphetView 720. The 17" is the same price now as when I got the 15" from Komplett (€600), dammit.

Nice monitor, no complaints. Looks slick too.

http://europe.hercules.com/showpage.php?p=32&b=1&f=1

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=23562&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=&GrpID=&s=sr

Steve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Is that stephen from the southeast? Who likes apples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

The Herc 15" is available for only €430 on the highstreet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Anyone know if this is any good? Its €280 in Argos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

The BenQ FP791 is an excellent TFT .
    17inch
    16ms response.
    native res: 1,280x1,024
    contrast ratio 450:1

Its about 400 sterling but it really is an excellent piece of kit.
    Great response time for gaming and no ghosting, so also acceptable for DVD.
    And you can also use it as a digital picture frame.

I definately plan to get on of these myself in a few months.

Nice black-ish colour too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

NEC LCD 1760V

Best LCD screen i have found.

Have a read:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/20030221/hitachi-04.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Just curious but what are the advantages (If any) to a TFT monitor over a regular CRT (?) or whatever they are called. The price is usually double! I hope its more then one just being skinny and the other being fat, shallow trods :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its usually easier on the eyes, especially for office apps etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Well, this will probably disappoint the purests and hardcore techie types out there but i went to that centre of technological supplies - Argos for a monitor(lol). Yes, i know....how could i...

Well, i had to do something or else i really would need that white cane rather than a monitor. Being the cheapskate that i am, i like to download all my techie books and read em off the screen - and doing this off the old monitor that i had was not one of my brighter ideas!

Clearly i'm not used to quality in the monitor dept. but im using this tft now and for the money its the business.
    Cost: €289
    Make: Vizitron
    Model: L-151 (L5AK5)
    15"

http://www.vizitron.com

Now, i'm sure that other monitors recommended in the previous posts are good and you get what you pay for but i dont have the $$$ right now so i reckon this is good for the money. I'm not a gamer - just need to be able to work/surf/read of this screen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

CivilServant,
    No, this is Stephen from the North...who is not too fussed on this "apple" of which you speak, but who would parttake in the eating of such a fruit should the chance come along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

There's a related article over at Dan's Data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I bought my PC from the UK on the net with a 17 inch NEC flatscreen. I ordered the analogue but they accidently sent me the digital one (NEC MultiSync 1700NX) with an analogue cable. I bought a DVI cable which was actually quite hard to get - Peats came up trumps as usually.

The difference was incredible so if you have a DVI output on your graphics card and are thinking of getting a flatscreen my advice is go digital. If all you lack is the DVI cable you'd be a fool not to invest in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Then I bid you adieu :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I work in HP and we get some decent discounts on HP gear so I bit the bullet and ordered me a TFT, an 18" (p9021a) which will set me back around €800 but thankfully deducted in installments from my salary over the year. I went for this one because it has the afforementioned DVI connection, as has my GF3Ti500 and I do like my buzzwords.
    I could have got a 15" MUCH cheaper but purchases have to be over a certain value for salary deductions, plus I reckoned the 15" would only be about the same size as my current 17" CRT. Also the 15" and 17" TFTs available to me were analogue only. By the looks of HPaq's numbering system for TFTs they seem to number them along the lines of what CRT size they compare with, i.e. the 15" is p/no.xx17a, 17" is xx19b etc. So I'm hoping my 18 incher will compare to a 21" CRT.
    Your thoughts please. Does the DVI make that much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Digital monitors have the same level of sharpness as a decent laptop screen - text is pixel sharp. Any analogues I've seen seem to lack clarity especialy when it comes to text - characters have a kind of fuzzy/hazy outline. Having said that if I hadn't been able to compare the two I probably woud have been happy with the analogue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 r1vers1de

17" PV1710 TFT/LCD Color Monitor
    High Brightness, Auto-tune, OSD menu, built-in stereo speakers.

SPECIFICATIONS/ REQUIREMENTS:

- Screen Size: 337.92(W) x 270.34(L)mm (17.0")
    - Aspect Ratio: 4:3
    - Resolution: SXGA 1280(H) x 1024(V)
    - Pixel Pitch: 0.264(H) x 0.264(V) mm
    - Brightness: 250 cd/m2
    - Contrast: 350:1 (Typical)
    - Viewing Angle: 60(R) / 60(L) / 40(U) / 60(D)
    - Display Color: 16.7M
    - Horizontal Freq.: 30 ~ 65KHz
    - Vertical Freq.: 55 ~ 79Hz

Power Supply
    - Input Voltage: AC 100V~240V / 1A, 50~60Hz br /> - Output Voltage: DC 12V / 3.0A
    - Operation Mode: 36 Watts max.
    - Standby Mode: <= 5W

Signal Input
    - Signal: 0.7Vp-p / 75 ohm
    - PC VGA Connector: Analog D-Sub 15 Pin
    - Audio Connector: Earphone Jack (3.5mm) x1 br />
    Audio
    Built in Speaker: 2W +2 W (Stereo)

User Control: OSD

Dimension: 450(W) x 430(H) x 200(T) mm

Net Weight: 5.0Kg
    Gross Weight: 6.5Kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Yep, I confess I am in love with these things. Oh gawd. I need to lie down now... I found out from my
    brother's dell purchase

Advertisement