Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Radio

Options
  • 13-05-2003 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Alright folks, long story short, I'm looking at setting up a streaming internet radio setup - shoutcast type thing. Anyway, I'm investigating licensing and such - anyone know what the story is with that? I gather you need a license to braodcast music and what not, not sure about purely talk-based stuff or music where you have explicit permission from the copyright holder...

Any info/resources/advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Good topic of conversation.

I had a client that wanted to broadcast music from their website. I believed that IMRO had finally put something in place regards broadcasting on the internet.

After looking at their website - they have a new section added to their rules on broadcasting music. A little paragraph about Internet broadcasting, saying that you would basically need to get a license from them. However, my client was a solicitor who basically said that what they were saying was bull and that there is no way they could get away with it....

I would suggest you contact IMRO and ask them what you need. They will be more than willing to help...

Wow - look at this.....

The minimum annual royalty charge is:-

1. Personal website €126
    2. Incidental music only on commercial website €634
    3. Webcasting/Streaming €1,269
    4. All other uses €2,539

Music to IMRO's ears.......

€126 for putting music on your personal website! Thats a joke. But for streaming nearly €1300. Its enough to turn you off your new venture!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Excellent, thanks very much for the info Tom. I'll look into it...

Advertisement