Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful istream treatment

Options
  • 13-05-2003 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

ok i got istream solo back in feb..
    connected via zyxel usb modem..
    all worked great until 24th april when the downgrade to 55 euro a month package was complete..

when i returned home from work that evening.. dialog box on screen saying "modem reconnecting in 20 seconds please wait"..

to make a long story short, i could not connect to the net since the downgrade occured..

i went through 1 week of trying everything i knew and all the things istream support mentioned..
    no joy..
    in the end they said they were baffled..
    i suggested modem maybe had developed a fault, but considering the time it developed a fault when downgrade had completed sounded unlikely to be such a rare coincidence.

anyways i mailed back my modem to them..
    women said "modem ordered on the system be with you in 2-3 working days", i waited a week and rang them back "order never put on the system"

so guy was very apologenic, said he put order in system and modem would be couried out to me ,to be here monday

monday no modem, i waited until today no modem..

so...

i rang them this evening..

no order for modem again in system

ok, what the **** is going on here?

either the downgrade or there ****e usb zyxel modem broke down and i have been out of dsl approaching 5 weeks now..

everytime i am promised new replacement, order is not in system...

i am so embarrased by their treatment i have posted it up here for all

anyone wanna tell me what my rights are if this treatment continues ?
    right now i am looking for 1 months compensation..
    if this isnt sorted by friday i want a complete refund and line downgrade...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Just another in a long litany of imcompetence and general apathy displayed by eircom.

I mean to say to a person twice that they've put your order through and then to tell you it isnt even ordered on the system is just plain wrong.

Smacks of my contnuing saga with them, i just dont think those ****wits no what there doing.

You should contact david long at irelandoffline.org and agree to appear in the TV3 piece there doing about Broadband

We need to kick these people where it hurts in there pockets

regards
    Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Well maybe you can just rest easy knowing the competition are just as bad as Eircom when it comes to finding and correcting problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by GUI_XP
    anyone wanna tell me what my rights are if this treatment continues ?
    right now i am looking for 1 months compensation..
    if this isnt sorted by friday i want a complete refund and line downgrade...

without going into the legal technicalities and the details of compensation, i'd guess that your key concern is to get back on the net.

i'm beginning to think that "consumer rights and how to vindicate them" should be on the syllabus of every educational institution in this country

you are in a strong position in that your line, dsl service, modem all come for eircom (unlike say a self install person) so the problem is eircom's - they can't send you elsewhere.

if it was me, i would sit on them. camp on their doorstep, so to speak. make them understand that you will not go away. sit yourself down, phone them and stay on the line until you get an answer. make notes of dates, times, names and promises/excuses.
    • everytime you get "sorry i can't...." ask to be put on to someone who can
    • everytime you get "sorry i haven't got the authority...." ask to be put on to someone who has
    • everytime you get "sorry i don't know...." ask to be put on to someone who does
    • and when you get fed up insist on being put through to a supervisor (who will be busy, so ask for his/her name and agree a definite time by which he/she will have called you back, and then you phone back at time + 1 minute and start again)
    but your really really have to hound them when it gets to this stage. like tomorrow, 9.01am, phone and ask for confirmation that the modem has shipped. if not, find out why not and when. phone back "when + 1minute" and so on.

its a pain in the h0le having to act in this childish manner and micro manage eircom's customer service, but unfortunately that's what it takes.

lastly, imho, forget compo etc. focus on the real issue which is eircom's failure to deliver the service you are paying for and get them focussed by whatever means on solving your problem

I've done exactly the same thing with Via, I ring them about twice a day, make suggestions, ask for further tests, make comments, provide information et al but none of it seems to have gotten through to them despite the fact that they supplied everything bar the bloody pc itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Sloth
    I've done exactly the same thing with Via, I ring them about twice a day, make suggestions, ask for further tests, make comments, provide information et al but none of it seems to have gotten through to them despite the fact that they supplied everything bar the bloody pc itself.

Sloth

There is a difference between your case and GUI_XP's.

Unfortunately for you it works to his advantage. From his perspective Eircom is a one stop shop. It doesn’t matter which bit of eircom is trying to wriggle out of the issue (eircomnet, i-stream section, line engineers, accounts or whatever) his contract is with eircom and it is eircom's problem and the onus is on eircom to fix it and deliver to him the service which they contracted to provide. And that gives him a lot of leverage.

In your case, Netsource have the option to put the blame on the line (eircom) and eircom have the option of blaming everything but the line (sure isn't yer line grand mister, aren't i talking to you on it.....) Your best approach, in my opinion, is publicising the case and keeping the pressure on Netsource to prove that they can deliver and support working solutions. If they can't prove that, then who will be bothered with them.

UTV/IP used this forum very cleverly, to listen to peoples problems, identify issues with their service and either explain or resolve problems. There are a LOT of eyes on Netsource and on your thread in particular. Netsource have everything to prove. That is your best angle and keep reminding them of it.

• Advertisement

I will never stop posting, I will never stop phoning and I will never stop reminding people of the service that I'm getting off Via until my problem is fixed. I will also get in contact if the connection is not fixed soon with several media sources (newspapers et al) about the service I've been getting so that I can warn other people about the pitfalls of upgrading to bb with Via. The issue has pretty much consumed me for the time being and I'm putting all the engeries I have into resolving it and if that's not possible telling everyone else about my case study with Via.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Eircom are a shower of toerags.

I ceased my order with them. I was told I would have i-stream gone in 5 working days, that was over two weeks ago. I bet when my bill comes in they will still be charging for it!! Bastords!!

I wouldn't go for Via atm either tbh. See if you can get iol or IBB before you go for via.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I am currently transferring to Netsource. I have found them very profesional so far. At least they only have a 2 month tie-in, if they suck, I can move elsewhere.

Yup I'm very glad about the 2 month contract and look forward to the release of IBB's service which should hopefully come just as my current contract comes to a close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

A friend of mine passed the eircom test for his line and decided to order it (i did tell em not to, but he didnt listen), he ordered it off the online store, he wanted to order self install without engineer, but he clicked with engineer by mistake.

fast forward a few days and he rings eircom to see if he can change it to without engineer and this is what the drone said word for word

"Its ok sir, you can change your order nps, because the the online order does not reach eircom for 2 days after you placed it"

Smacks head on that one :confused:

So he asked when will he get his pack etc, itll take at least 3 weeks to get evreything up and running for you.

I swear to god i did tell em he just didnt listen. I also yold him what he can expect to get in the install pack, wasnt to impressed
    hope he changes before its to late

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

I would suggest that eircom have had unexpected success with broadband and have now run out of resources - both people and modems.

Similar thing happened when I ordered isdn years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

The people I can go along with, with all the downsizing and what not that's going on in the bloody place. However, as for the modems, I don't think so. I've been told that they've over 80,000 modems in storage, so I don't think they'll be running short for a while. As for their incompetence in getting the modems to customers, that's oanother matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Does anyone from Comreg ever look at these boards?
    The amount of complaints in this board alone about Eircon.
    and what they get away with.
    What about the people receiving the envelopes today with the self install kit.....
    ABSOLUTE JOKE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

I would suggest that eircom have had unexpected success with broadband and have now run out of resources - both people and modems.

I wouldn’t say it has been unexpected... since i feel this has been the real reason for the slow rollout and the extortionate pricing of istream when it came out..

1) Deterrent ("no body is interested broadband")
    2) Insufficient numbers of subscribers (keeps cost and profits up, less subscribers, higher chargers = less work for ercon and more profits)

Now that they have been forced to lower the price and roll out nation wide means to there horror! the opposite is true. ;)
    click Here to see Why!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

eircom couried me my replacement
    and it works great

i am happy to say

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    Now that they have been forced to lower the price and roll out nation wide means to there horror! the opposite is true. ;)
    click Here to see Why!? :D

Ha ha !!, you have too much time on your hands BoneCollector :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement