Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTV Icon

• 13-05-2003 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone else happened to see this last night but I just happened to come across it flipping through the channels (it was on about 1.30 a.m.). Basically, all these so-called 'artists' and 'celebrities' (:rolleyes:) gather together to pay tribute to a particular band. Last night it was Aerosmith.

Anyway, there's these video bits charting the band's history (it looked like it was lifted straight from an episode of VH-1's 'Behind The Music') interspersed with interviews and some of these so-called 'artists' performing their takes on Aerosmith songs.

So, what kind of 'artists' and 'celebrities' are we talking about here at this thing. Well, Jennifer Aniston, for example. Jennifer f**king Aniston! Christ, I ask you! Ja Rule and Nelly and some other band (missed who they were) did a remake of the video for 'Walk This Way' that was pretty crap. Pink did a live version of 'Janey's Got a Gun', which wasn't too bad (not great but I've seen worse) but the best (and by 'best' I mean 'worst') one of the night had to be Shakira doing the worst possible version of 'Dude Looks Like A Lady' you can possibly imagine. Go on, imagine it. Just imagine how bad it could possibly be, multiply it by a thousand and you're not even close to how bad it was.

Talk about MTV scrapping the bottom of the barrel for this thing. MTV really has gone to the dogs lately. Apparently, there's going to be an MTV Icon programme about Metallica this Wednesday night. Now that's going to be interesting. What are they going to do, get Enrique Inglesias or Britney Spears to do 'Enter Sandman'? I wouldn't put it past MTV, to be honest! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah the Metallica icon is tomorrow night! Lucky you mentioned it as I thought it was next Wednesday!

Anyway, according to Sky EPG info, live acts include Sum41, Limp Bizkit, Avril Lavigne and Korn! Pity they couldn't get rock groups from that era to perform instead! :(

Anyway, it starts at 8pm for anyone interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

jesus you sound suprised that the evil station named mtv has put on a show like that.

they must sit around in a room full of monkeys and show them clips of sh*t shows and if the monkeys clap and throw faeces then it airs the next week.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

<shakes head sadly> whatever happened to watchable MTV like Headbanger's Ball and MTV Post Modern???</shakes head sadly>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

MTV has been dreadful for a while now. you rarely see music video's anymore.

Mostly its just the osbournes (worst tv prog ever!) and Cribs, and the making of the video, Jackas repeated over and over and over.

It sucks big time

When they changed to MTV UK and Ireland round about 1997 it was good, but since then they've gone totally digital.

Regarding Icon, I dont watch, I wont watch. Dump Mtv !!

It never recovered from dropping 120 minutes(UK) !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

SprostonGreen those are wise wise words.

120 minutes - genius pure genius

• Advertisement
    byte

Well I watched most of MTV Icon - Metallica and it was pretty poor tbh just feeding egos. Would prefer a proper Discography or band biography type programme. Even a gig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Oh, the days of Headbangers Ball. Now that brings back memories! :D

I agree, MTV is supposed to stand for Music Television but they show feck all music on it nowadays. The Osbournes, Jackass, Dirty Sanchez, Celebrity Deathmatch, Cribs, etc., etc. over and over but no music. Christ, TRL was crap but at least they showed some music on that.

I think the MTV exec's heads got too big when they had successes with their own 'home-produced' programmes like Beavis & Butthead and Jackass and decided to start churning out more and more of their own programmes and try to become a more (crappier) mainstream channel rather than the old, decent, rebellous-teenagers-music-channel they used to be.

I think myself that MTV's heyday was during the early-mid 90's when grunge and metal was big. It's just gone steadily downhill since then. Though, you have to say that a lot of it is probably because of the dire state of music these days. Let's face it, when you've seen one crappy boyband or manufactured Pop Idol-style band, you've seen them all. Who wants to watch that kind of rubbish 24 hours a day?

byte

Ah the heyday of MTV Europe! I remember the first few times I had watched it, I was mildy confused with the times as they were CET, not GMT/BST!

Headbangers Ball was excellent!

I vaguely remember MTV Select with some guy with long blonde hair as VJ!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

mtv2 has 120 minutes now, which is uhh 120 minutes of leftfield videos, i think it used to be different years ago, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

MTV has lost all respect from me since they got rid of VJ Maria Guzenina. Man she was hot. Her smile used to make me happy, in my pants. ;)

I saw the Metallica ICON show. Actually thought Avril Lavigne and her band were ok. Limp Bizkit were pretty good. But Snoop Dog ! Christ on a bike. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement