Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going Bald Ungracefuly!

• 13-05-2003 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Two questions here guys that I would appreciate your help with.

1. Has anyone any information about the availability of 'Propecia' here in Ireland?

2. Has anyone had a Hair Transplant Surgery performed here in Ireland or know anyone who had. Was it a success and where did they get it done?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Get a wig it is much cheaper, to get al that stuff done will cost you a small fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Bite the bullet. Shave your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Bite the bullet. Shave your head. [/QUOTE]

good call that is what i did.when i started to get two bald patches above my ear at only 21 years old. save a fortune you will look like a nutcase, nobody will sit next to you on the dart it's great, no wasting money on Gell's going to the hairdressers. go for it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about Regaine?

Going for the shaving option when my time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Can't answer your questions, sorry. Can you describe your baldness though? Are you losing hair at the vertex and/or at the temples? Have you got diffuse thinning all over? This can influence how effective treatments will be.

There's a scale for describing baldness called the Norwood scale. There's some info on it here:
    http://www-ermm.cbcu.cam.ac.uk/02005124h.htm

It's actually normal for an adult male to have a slightly receeded hairline (known as an adult hairline and classified as norwood 1 or norwood 2) this recession usually happens in late teens/early twenties and causes a lot of distress to some guys who are unaware of the adult hairline thing and assume it's the start of "proper" baldness.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GreenFirefly

Thanks for the replys guys. I know a lot of lads couldnt give a crap about it, but its honestly bothering me and Im not even a particularly vain person. Im about a 3/4 on the Norwood scale, which basically means I have a small but growing bald patch, thinning hair (falling out fast) and a very high receeding hairline. Its been slowly but surely leaving my noggin for the past 7/8 yrs, Im 27 now. Ive heard theres a couple of medications out there to slow down the process or in some cases stop it, but I dont know if the better ones like Propecia are available in Ireland. As for regain, it seems to just grow a fuzzy hair, similar to pubic hair actually :-). Ive been seriously considering getting a hair transplant, but dont know of anyone who have got one peformed in Ireland. Theres a clinic on Baggot St, but yer man there seems too pushy and a bit of a chancer. Ive also read some horror stories about bad transplants performed by Quacks, where guys are left looking like freaks :-( . As for shaving, I did it when i was younger, but unfortunately I have one of those heads that a buzz cut just makes me look ****.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

from the female point of view:
    do as the lads said, shave it
    every other bloke shaves his head these days, you won't look out of place at all and I for one, have no problem with baldie blokes, it can be dead sexy! look at jean luc picard! (can't rem. his real name) anyways, it never did him any harm!! and it's way cheaper than throwing money down the toilet on stuff that rarely works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't know about propecia but if you start to use Regaine or many similar products, you have to keep using it for the rest of your life because as soon as you stop using it you go back to square one. As for the hair transplants, if you think yer man on baggot street is a bit pushy or a bit dodgy then don't go there. You have to be totally sure that you can trust whoever performs the surgery. There are a lot of horror cases about people getting transplants who frankly would have looked better before they started. So be careful who you go to and if possible get a look at some work they've done before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Beruthiel

Patrick Stewart is the name you were looking for.

WHEN i go bald, twill be the shaver for me also. Better than the dreaded combover at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I've been shaving my head with a Sensor Excel every three days for over a year now.

It's great.... I regularly get invited to meetings of the concerned fascists group of Eireann and with this sort of haircut..... I fight right in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭[Iramus]

yeah shave you're head.I tink dats the way to go. Frankly i dont believe in this regain ****e. Dats my 2c

whats the worst that can happen?

ming.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

at least your hair problems arnt as bad as the woman i saw on the bus today - she had more facial hair than me, on here way to a full beard. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I've start using L'orleal Reinimu plus just in case, Because I'm Worth it. I don't think it works time to move on to Regain i think.

I don't want to be bald by 30. For that matter ever. My hair stays. I don't even shave that often, Thank God cause I don't like shaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I just don't see why fellas attach such importance to hair.

Seriously, I'm not naturally bald... but, if tomorrow, I started to go naturally bald... nobody would notice.

++good;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Shaved heads suit guys with nicely shaped skulls and symmetrical features - but on many guys a shaved head looks s***e. I used to shave my head when I was in my late teens and I thought I looked well 'ard but looking back I just looked stupid.

Also, like it or not, a shaved head still gives the wrong impression to some people. I know that if I turned up for work tomorrow with a #1 all over, it wouldn't go down too well with my bosses.

Admittedly there's nothing worse than a really bald guy (say Norwood 6+) with a big comb over trying to hide his baldness. In that case, a shaved head is probably the way to go. But for guys with less severe baldness (such as the original poster NW3/4) a good barber can do a lot with their hair without resorting to shaving it all off.

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Hi there,

I "had" the same problem as you a couple of months ago. I had a very large bald spot on the top of my head.

From speaking to a friend of mine who went very bald in their early teens, who used regaine, and now has a full head of hair and doesn't use regaine any more I decided to do some reaserch.

I started by looking at Regaine. Regaine contains an active ingredient called Minoxidil, originally developed to treat high blood pressure. Minoxidil has now been proven to promote hair growth.

From looking around on the internet at prices for Regaine it turns out to be fairly expensive stuff $300.00 for a years supply. There was no way I would pay that. There are other generic brands of Regaine which have exactly the same ingredients, the one I use is called Headway and you can pick this stuff up at almost half the price of Regaine.

I buy 9 bottles and this usually lasts the year. Last tme I ordered it cost $170.00

Those of you that say "shave your head", thats fine for you, though some guys really have a problem with losing their hair, its not being vain or pompous, its just that sometimes it can feel like you're losing part of yourself. Or for those that say "you have to use it for the rest of your life", well, dont you have to shave your head or get a haircut for the rest of your life? Greenfirefly you said that you heard that when the hair grows back its just downy and like pubic hair, well at the start when the regrowth occurs the growth is just soft and downy, but this starts to turn your original hair colour and then starts to thicken. I for one wouldn't walk around with a head that looked like it had pubic hair on it ;), so thats just wrong.

I hope I've helped you somewhat, if you want the address of the website for the Headway stuff just send me a message and I'll send it on.

BNC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Do something for charity!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

I am unfortunately one of those unlucky people that a shaved head just doesnt look better, although If it did look ok, I certainly would have no hesitation buzzing it all off. Its just an awful feeling loosing all my hair, and I guess Im willing to try anything to keep whats left. There are times I feel guilty getting would up over something that many people would consider so trivial. People out there who are suffering with life threating illnesses have far more reasons to complain and feel sorry for themselves, than me and my problems with going bald.

I honestly dont reckon Im any more vain than the next fella, but damn its an awful feeling when you find yourself regularly counting the chunks of hair on the shower floor. I have a feeling its pretty difficult to fight against natures plan with any topical solutions, medications etc, but Ill give it a go and see what happens. BNC, have you seen any improvements yet, can I get this solution sent over here to Ireland?

Then again, perhaps its better I just let things be and save some money over the next couple of years. Then when the day arrives that Ive more hair on my ass than on my head, just go visit a reputable transplant surgeon and get a permanent solution?

Cheers in advance!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

I am unfortunately one of those unlucky people that a shaved head just doesnt look better, although If it did look ok, I certainly would have no hesitation buzzing it all off. Its just an awful feeling loosing all my hair, and I guess Im willing to try anything to keep whats left. There are times I feel guilty getting would up over something that many people would consider so trivial. People out there who are suffering with life threating illnesses have far more reasons to complain and feel sorry for themselves, than me and my problems with going bald.

I honestly dont reckon Im any more vain than the next fella, but damn its an awful feeling when you find yourself regularly counting the chunks of hair on the shower floor. I have a feeling its pretty difficult to fight against natures plan with any topical solutions, medications etc, but Ill give it a go and see what happens. BNC, have you seen any improvements yet, can I get this solution sent over here to Ireland?

Then again, perhaps its better I just let things be and save some money over the next couple of years. Then when the day arrives that Ive more hair on my ass than on my head, just go visit a reputable transplant surgeon and get a permanent solution?

Cheers in advance!

Originally posted by GreenFirefly

BNC, have you seen any improvements yet, can I get this solution sent over here to Ireland?

Greenfirefly, I was the same as you. I'd wake up in the morning and the pillow would be covered in hairs, I'd go for a shower and end up watching most of my hair go down the plug hole. I've been using it for about two months now. After about the first week my hair stopped falling out. 4 weeks and there was signs of the downy stuff on the way. Its now 8 weeks and the down is starting to change colour and the hair is beginning to thicken.

I had no problems getting the stuff sent to Ireland.

• Advertisement

You know where Im coming from then BNC:-) Can I use this topical solution all over the scalp area, or just the bald patch and temples, as I also have A LOT of thinning all over scalp. Where did you get it from? Heard users actually loose hair when they first use topical solutions, is this common and does it grow back? Thanks a million for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by BNC
    From looking around on the internet at prices for Regaine it turns out to be fairly expensive stuff $300.00 for a years supply. There was no way I would pay that. There are other generic brands of Regaine which have exactly the same ingredients, the one I use is called Headway and you can pick this stuff up at almost half the price of Regaine.

I buy 9 bottles and this usually lasts the year. Last tme I ordered it cost $170.00
    Can we be wary of buying medical products over the internet, aside from the potential for side-effects (and being ripped-off), they are liable to seizure by customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Be balding and happy, I dunno why ppl get so uptight on this issue.
    It has'nt freaked me out (slwoly loosing it since 21-ish).

Of course if someone granted me a low-cal wish....

Mike.

Originally posted by Victor
    Can we be wary of buying medical products over the internet, aside from the potential for side-effects (and being ripped-off), they are liable to seizure by customs.

Absoloutely, couldn't agree more. I saw my doctor and got advise before I started using Headway/Regaine. Your right though, there are a lot of scam merchants and con men out there. I didn't enter buying over the internet lightly. I found a company who are in existence for 30 years and used them.

As regards customs, it was clearly marked on the customs form what was being shipped so they didn't seem to have a problem.

I'll leave this topic if its causing any problems for the mods, no problem.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BlueHaze

I dont see that it would cause problems to recomend Regaine or Headway & other hair loss products. Most of these can be already bought here without a percription over the counter I think, so I doubt the customes would be too concerned in ceasing them. The guy recomending Headway is doing no more than if he were recomending someone with a headache to take paracetomol, or a sufferer of dandruff to use a specific shampoo. Although, If I were you GreenFly, I would just accept your loosing hair, keep what you have left short, and dont waste your money on products that wont work and will cost you a hell of a lot of money. I mean come on, if any of the stuff actually worked, why would there still be 1 in 3 bald? As for the hair transplants, that cant be good dood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Silent Bob
    Bite the bullet. Shave your head.

blade one all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Go to your Local Chinese Medical Centre and you will be sorted, explain the problem, friend had the same problem and the product they gave him worked incredibly well

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

I too am loosing my once beautiful thick and flowing mane, God be with the days I used to ask my barber to 'thin out the top please' lol

Samba, you dont by any chance know what product your friend got from the Chinese Medicine Shop, is there a Chinese shop in Dublin? Im not a baldy yet, but getting there slowly I reckon. I have heard good things about Chinese medicines so Id like to keep what little I have left if at all possible. As for that headway solution , dont think thats in Ireland yet Bnc?

Greenfly, theres millions of guys all over the world going through what you are. Its not the end of the world loosing hair, but if its possible to do something about it and one is willing to spend the money, why not if it makes you happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I've been going bald since my teens, have a huge receding hairline and a big forehead, I decided to shave my head..

It's part of life, don't try and hide it by using a wig or something else, let other people know your comfortable with yourself and your appearance, that you won't let something so natural get to you, you'll make yourself a target :eek:

I watched as some kid passed comments on this guy's "shine" on Sunday, asking him what he used and how long he polished for, use the shock absorber, laugh :)

I was just staring at this kid and he was simply waiting for a negative reaction so he could take some more digs, but when the ole man laughed it off, the kid just sat back and shut up..

my 2 cents and whatever coppers are in me pocket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

im 20 and i was going bald because of a medical condition its near enough stopped now but its going to be a bitch to grow back so i just shave it. it doesnt look that bad

but i really do miss my hair. my lovely hair its all gone it looked really good aswell:( oh well **** happens

Advertisement