Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs!

Options
  • 13-05-2003 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I posted this on admin but no response yet.
    Anyone else think we should have a board about drugs?
    Or maybe a few different boards about seperate drugs.
    Opinions anyone?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

not really there isnt really enough to fill a few boards it would all go under personal issues or after hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i personally think its a law suit mine field.

what is there to discuss?

Free the Weed is one topic (which i am TOTALLY in favour of) but what else is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

No offence dave.c but i think that 'Banned' and 'Admin' should be reserved taglines. They are misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

For an example of how to do a run a really good drugs board check out [URL=http://]www.urban75.com[/URL] ... Lots of really intelligent and interesting people post there and the very fact that it's there in the first place probably saves lives. I think that Boards should definitely have one... If Urban75 can do it? Then why the hell can boards not? :confused:

i just took a look through their forum.

its actually quite useful with some excellent info. There is a couple of muppet threads like "Where can i buy stuff" but other than that it seems to be run well.

With strict moderating it could run quite well.

the Admins probably don't want the extra hassle at the moment though.

for what its worth, 2 thumbs up from me!

• Advertisement

Those boards are interesting but i think alot of people would complain and it looks like somthing that the sunday world would love to get a hold of. Also i wouldnt think there is that many hardened drugies on the boards , or is there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by irishguy
    Those boards are interesting but i think alot of people would complain and it looks like somthing that the sunday world would love to get a hold of.
    /me looks at Azezil :D
    Originally posted by ballooba
    No offence dave.c but i think that 'Banned' and 'Admin' should be reserved taglines. They are misleading.
    I suppose it's OK, once he doesn't tempt fate :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by ballooba

"Admin" and a few others are censored out. "Banned" I kinda think is funny but it is misleading :)

DeV.

Originally posted by irishguy
    Also i wouldnt think there is that many hardened drugies on the boards , or is there ;)

you'd be suprised. Especially on the cannabis front.

Originally posted by DeVore
    it is misleading :)

DeV.

thats the point :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

oh as for the drug thing... I know I know... I want to support it too but we're already hanging sooo far out over the ledge of illegality that I'm not sure I want some mother sueing me cos her little Paddie swallowed 20 Rubex at the instruction of Whitewashman and turned into Augustus Gloop! [1]

DeV.

[1] Extra Magic Roundabouts if you can tell me where that character is from (without using Google!)

Originally posted by dave.c

I would say more of Boards users have smoked Cannabis then havent. I'd say 1/4 - 1/3 are regular users (once a month if its available). Just my opinion.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

too slow :>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

You'd be surprised! :eek: No seriously though, I know if there was a drugs board I would back it to be a success. Mainly because there is a need for it... All it would need to get started is a few enthusiastic mods! :D:D

If anybody has yet to be convinced, there is a gardening / DIY board! I mean, wtf? No disrespect to any Gardeners / DIYers out there but I very much doubt that Drugs (not necessarily illegal ones) are less popular with your average boards guy/girl aged between 16 - 35! The fact is, whether people like it or not, drugs are a part of most peoples lives be it a cuppa and a fag for one person or a few pills and a bit of base for the next etc etc... If you look at the drugs board on U75, it's sensibly moderated by people who know what they're talking about and it's pretty rare that you get fools coming on looking to score drugs and the like. If that happens and the person offends persistently, they're banned - simple as that. Other U75ers (myself included) don't take to kindly to stuff like that as that is not the purpose of the forum. The purpose is to promote intelligent, healthy debate on various aspects of drugs and their positive and negative effects as well as for people to share their experiences with others and stop the spread of misinformation from various sources including some government sponsored anti-drug groups.

So... Come on the powers that be! At least have a trial run of one for about a month to see how it fares. It would be a pretty popular board imho. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Ii dunno about a board, but a few discussions and links on "legal" highs would be nice alright. and maybe discussion on the legality of certain substances? *shrug*

i don't think a board would be a good idea, as it would probably lead to trouble down the road.. but there's no one stopping you from talking about this on humanities or wherever

If anybody has yet to be convinced, there is a gardening / DIY board! I mean, wtf?
    So... Come on the powers that be! At least have a trial run of one for about a month to see how it fares. It would be a pretty popular board imho.

i don't think its a problem with traffic (no pun intended) its more to do with the legality of the forum. The Admins are hardly gonna get a law suit thrown at them over the gardening / DIY board...unless i go and start a thread on the best way to grow certain plants ;)
    The purpose is to promote intelligent, healthy debate on various aspects of drugs and their positive and negative effects as well as for people to share their experiences with others and stop the spread of misinformation from various sources including some government sponsored anti-drug groups.

Thats the reason i would like to see the board happen.

g'wan Admins...give it a go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

I'm with dave.c on this one.

As long as the 'where can i buy teh xxx' muppets are banned, i'm sure there will be plenty of interesting debates/threads to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Anyone ever post on http://www.overgrow.com?
    People could post experiences .etc
    Maybe talk about growing could be a bit dodgy though?
    Im sure you could put up a disclamer stating boards isnt responsable if anyone follows actions posted by anyone.

p.s http://www.cannabisireland.com

Is this just becoming a listing page for drugs sites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There are legal ramifications of having a drugs board, as Devore already said, somebody could end up suing boards. "Little Johnnies a ****-up on cannabis or something and its not our fault, we're great parents. How did this happen? Who's to blame?". Seriously, DO NOT underestimate the power of parental denial*.

Personally I don't smoke dope. Strangely, however, I do grow tomatoes.

*Won't somebody please think of the children

i wasent really talking about cannabis, i dont know very many people who havent tryed it i was talking about stronger drug. most of the posts on u75 are about stronger drugs i just couldnt see there being enough people to talk about this. the main reason i am against this is that boards.ie could get in trouble you know how irish people are. it just isnt wrth the hassle although i would like to see one of these boards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

havent we had this discussion a million times? and doesnt it always end up thats its a legal minefield?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Dustaz
    havent we had this discussion a million times? and doesnt it always end up thats its a legal minefield?

<sings>Round..Round..baby..round..</sings>

It does seem to come up a few times..and does seem to get conclude along those lines.

Perhaps we could run a boards.ie book on how long before it comes around again? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by DeVore
    Whitewashman and turned into Augustus Gloop! [1]
    [1] Extra Magic Roundabouts if you can tell me where that character is from (without using Google!)

charlie and the chocolate factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Why is it a legal minefield? I don't think the 'owners' of boards.ie are responsible for the content. Don't know about Ireland but this has been proved elsewhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Why do you have the word 'owners' in quotes?

Also, I haven't looked into this personally but the owners are responsible to the best of my knowledge.

Originally posted by ecksor
    Why do you have the word 'owners' in quotes?

Also, I haven't looked into this personally but the owners are responsible to the best of my knowledge.
    Firstly Because I am not sure what the correct term for the 'owners' is. I have no idea who owns boards.ie. I have asked b4. And secondly I believe that the original poster was referring to a drugs information board as opposed to a drugs promotion board, which is obvioulsy a no no. I have not looked into it that much, in this media, myself, but I do some work in the media and I am very familiar with libel/slander law.

Originally posted by Hobart
    Why is it a legal minefield? I don't think the 'owners' of boards.ie are responsible for the content. Don't know about Ireland but this has been proved elsewhere.
    You are confusing this, it is the person who has editorial control (in this case the Admins / Boards Ltd.). Hosting365 (who run the server) are not responsible until someone (legally) orders them to remove material and they don't. Likewise Eircom / Esat / etc. are not responsible as common carriers (they know there is traffic, but they don't know what it is).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor
    You are confusing this, it is the person who has editorial control (in this case the Admins / Boards Ltd.). Hosting365 (who run the server) are not responsible until someone (legally) orders them to remove material and they don't. Likewise Eircom / Esat / etc. are not responsible as common carriers (they know there is traffic, but they don't know what it is).
    I understand that. But how or why is it a legal minefield. My point is that the responsibility is with the poster for his/her views and not necessarily the responsibility of the admins.

Advertisement