Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 NICs in 1 pc

Options
  • 13-05-2003 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

i have 2 nics in my pc one for the home network and one for powernet how can iget both of them to work at the same time under Win XP and not using a router/hub or switch. The net connection is DHTP assigned the home connection is 10.4.12.5 with a subnet of 255.255.255.240 using a default gateway of 10.4.12.3. any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

XP home or pro?

and home network being one other machine connected via a crossover cable?
    ICS is built in to XP anyway afaik, but the following solutions should work too

get proxy server software, analogx do a free non cacheing one,
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

or winproxy if you want a non free cacheing one,

set up the software
    then you shouldnt have any probs sharing your internet connection with another pc on your lan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

there are 4 pcs on the network connected VIA a hub, i am not interested in sharing my net connection at the moment i just want to be able to use both connections on my main pc at the same time. I just need to add a line to the routing table but i dont know how to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

hmm sorry for jumping the gun, i assumed when you mentioned your powernet connection it was a net connection sahring issue

again is it XP home or pro

i have two nics in my win2k box and they just show up as local area connection 1 and 2, no configuration needed, on is getting its ip via dhcp from my router/firewall, the other i have given a static ip in a different range for the workgroup, i didnt have to do anything complicated and it works fine,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im not entirely sure what you are trying to do here.
    i have two network cards running in my machine at the moment.
    one is for lan, the other is for dsl.

they both just have two different network addresses, so its not that hard, but tell us what you are actually trying to do.

sorry its xp pro. i taught it would just work aswell, i want to be able to access the net from one nice dhtp assigned and the other nic will be a static address for the home network. if i have both connections enabled at the same time only one will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Not sure if this is what you're after but have a read of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Why do you have a default gateway on your home network adaptor? Is there another network involved?

Anyway, have a look at the "route" command. "route print" should list all the routes available, and you can add and delete routes using it too.

Zab.

ya the default gateway is to connect to i wireless network, i know about the route cmd i just dont know how to add the route to get it working

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have a look at http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/w2kprout.htm
    Both Win98 and W2K are being used as routers..

NT4 does routing out of the box - TCPIP and click on IP forwarding in right hand tab.

Since M$ are so big into embrace and extend this feature was dropped in 2000/XP...
    so use the site above to find the hack or apply RRAS if you can find it on M$ site .. But I think RRAS only works on server not sure about pro or home and besides regedit is easire to uninstall

The reg hack for 98 is there too (and it works - just have to reboot every month...)

95 (I've tried several of w95 versions - all of then die on protection error - fix safe mode and remove routing key)

DHCP from non-server windows is messy - have not found a freeware windows app that shares IP's without some major problem (eg: ICS is limited to one subnet without constant regediting etc)

"All documentation on Windows 2000 shows that routing on multiple network adapters is
    activated in "RRAS" : Routing and Remote Access Service.
    But RRAS is not part of Windows 2000 Professional."
    Ok maybe RRAS is only for server

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

lads
    i have a win2k box at work with 2 nics..
    is it possible to do load-balancing with the 2 nics?

there both dhcp assigned ips on the same network segment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

look up www.jsiinc.com and do a search for multihomed
    if the machine in question could ever become a browser then it gets messy

there is also a randomadaptor reg setting somewhere too to determine which nic uses the repy..

also best if possible to not have services etc . bound to both cards at the same time

hmmm could also put pptp on the other nic with no encryption - technically possible but probably sod all use.

Advertisement