Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contention ratios...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    All this subsidised fibre will be wasted because Eircom will insist that the access seeker must connect at specific points and use its backhaul facilities bypassing whatever may already be there.

All this subsidised fibre will be wasted because Eircom will ... charge e90 for a 1024k link to the cutomer. What ISP is going to bother linking up the fiber if the minimum they can charge a customer is e91 (to make _a_ profit). Broadband has only come alive as the price has hit e50. Now I want to see competition pushing that price down and the bandwidth up.

When do eircom have to review their wholesale pricing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Muck
    No. ESAT rolled out their own fibre, subsidised by the Government to the tune of IEP10m or so . They have fibre into each Eircom regional pop .....which is where the initial wholesale breakout is done.....except for one I think, Priory Park in Dublin. 10 out of 11 so. There was a delay in Portlaoise at some point too.

Therefore they have no need for the ATM slab of backhaul and would simply need a virtual 2Mb pipe in the Regional POP to which Eircom presents 'up to 192' Virtual RADSL ports of 512k .
    I wasn't talking about Esat. I was talking about metro fibre rings running right up to Eircom exchanges. These can't be used to link to existing DSLAMs because the bitstream charge includes transport from the exchange to a regional POP bypassing the fibre ring outside the exchange.

Advertisement