Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD(+-)R/RW in Komplett for EUR270...questions!

• 14-05-2003 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hey, I've just backordered the above product, seems like a sweet price considering the Sony alternative.

Few questions for those in the know...

I tried doing DivX to (S)VCD with my CDR but got lousy results; I supose I was asking too much to convert AVI to MPG in 700MB. Has anyone had success making reasonable DVD's (for a shoddy set-top player) out of DiVX?

Can you specify the region of a DVD you make yourself, or is it exempt?

And, is Nero as good at straight DVD to DVD as it is at CD-to-CD? Or does all the CSS encryption malarkey play a part?

Thanks y'all

RC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I also have back ordered the DVD recorder (Nec 1300 I presume).

I tried doing DivX to (S)VCD with my CDR but got lousy results; I supose I was asking too much to convert AVI to MPG in 700MB. Has anyone had success making reasonable DVD's (for a shoddy set-top player) out of DiVX?

TBH if you have a 700MB avi then you need to encode the movie (to mpg) (with TMPGEnc) to at least 1400MB (2 cd's) if not 2100MB (3 cd's).

Then burn the file to 2/3 cdr's. Otherwise the quality is crap. There is a way to "unlock" TMPGEnc so that you can specify the output/ecoded file to fit excatly on 1/2/3 VCD's. You can find this here

More help can be found at http://www.dvdrhelp.com (used to be vcdhelp.com)

Also read this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

thx for replying...

However, rather than making 3 vcds out of a divx, has anyone made decent DVDs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

To be honest m8... give up on divx...
    When u get the above set product u should go down to xtra vision and rent a dvd.. put it on hd then buy some dvdrs.. and copy it..
    If having trouble with sizes all will be explained at the set below sites
    www.vcdhelp.com
    www.doom.org

or google for instant copy seven or a few other dvd copying programs...

Appy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

@The Apprentice
    I wouldn't give up on DivX just yet, there are now DVD players that can play back DivX as well so that might be worth looking at.

It will probably get side tracked (DivX) though once DVDR's and recorders hits the bigtime, then people will just copy directly to blank DVD discs. A lot of people have big DivX collections at this stage so it would make sense for them to buy one of those DVD/DivX players.

I know what ure saying m8.. if uve a nice collection built up now dont go throwing it away but i never really got mine up and running.. the newer divx players now arent really as inexpensive as the normal bog standard 120 euro players these dayz and if u weighed up the options...

Cash for dvdrw or cash for divx player i dunno i,d rather go for the dvd option with 2mb speeds just released on telewest in england and now the newer broadband access 1mb in the majority of cities in ireland..

Dunno m8 its actually an interesting topic.. loads of dumps out there with full dvd quality movies or kazaa for divx files..
    Possibly no winner here lol

• Advertisement

Apprentice I thought when you ripped a DVD your resultant file was a DivX no ? If not what file is it - and Avi/Mpg ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

@ daveg
    Once you rip the DVD you basically have a number of options as to which format you want to convert it to. Most people convert to AVI but you can also convert to VCD as well.

If you haven't checked out www.doom9.net then you should head over there and all will become clear :) The conversion guides are top notch.

B good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i was also going to get the NEC 1300 but do you think there is any point in back ordering it?it might go down by then or you could get it else where cheaper.

i was also going to get the NEC 1300 but do you think there is any point in back ordering it?it might go down by then or you could get it else where cheaper.

It has actually gone up. It was €254, then it went to €290 and now it's at €260.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

dvdxcopy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i think i might wait a month, it cant go up and say up and you just know it will be on a special offer soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

XViD + Ogg Vorbis = .ogm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

DVD XCOPY ROCKS

Ya dvdxcopy rocks for vcd or svcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

review on that drive here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Does anyone know of a site which tells us if we can even play the burned dvd's in our dvd players??

Also, can I burn a divx as a svcd or even a well encoded vcd, onto a dvd, then watch it on my dvd player?? :confused:

So far i can play vcd's...............

Advertisement