Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young gig tonight

Options
  • 14-05-2003 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

Unbelievable - never been to anything that can remotely compare to it. The man is still in his prime. 57 years of age and he has produced a work of genius in his new concept album "Greendale" how many of his peers are still producing work to compare with their best?

His voice sounds better now than i have ever heard it in lives shows before (only heard recordings) and his ability to control the audience was comparable with only one man i can remember, and thats from a different artform, namely Bill Hicks. The audience hung on his every word, every cough, every sigh. The enjoyment was so rich and so communal that it felt like you could cut it with a knife. All around me people were reduced to their baser instincts, grinning like children reunited with their favourite toy. 1000 people shared an evening with a maestro tonight but more importantly they shared a 1 on 1 experience with Neil as his performance seemed to be aimed at each individual rather than the collective mass.

I wish my words were more expressive, my thoughts more lucid, i wish i had the gift to create the atmosphere for you that Neil created tonight for us. You dont know what you missed tonight and for that I sympathise with you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Holy sh!t thats a pretty intense review.

As if I wasn't jealous enough as it was.

By the way....are you drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i saw a bit of the one on sunday

a lot of people were very dissapointed with it, but i think that was people who were expecting to go in hearing the olden favourites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

Nah, wasnt drunk last night, just ecstatic, still buzzing today from it, the gig fulfilled and surpassed all my wildest dreams, I can't believe anybody would have felt any other way, they must not have been fans, either of Neil or of music

well im not a fan-not that i dont like his music, but ive never really listened to it, but i do know i love the songs that i know. he he. and i got a sort of buzz watching him on sunday night coz i see him as nearly a legendary figure. it was just an amazging thing to be at really.

Never one to tell people what to do, but Neil Young is essential for everyone who likes music:) if ya want, send me an e-mail at mernock1@hotmail.com and i'll send ya a list of songs to download - the best of, there's 40 albums so trudging through all his songs would put anybody off getting into him

• Advertisement

thanks very much that bloke
    im actually in the middle of exams/and sorting a j1 for the summer so i wont really be around to listen to it, but i can always take you up on the offer when i get back, it's much appreciated!

i do love the song that goes something like 'oh man take a look at my life' . my dad's a fan and the cd's are great, but its just somehting that although i wanted to get into recently, i really dont have the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Originally posted by thedrowner
    i do love the song that goes something like 'oh man take a look at my life'

Almost. Its 'old man'

Sorry drowner, I couldn't help it

no thanks, i needed it. i was kinda hoping people would put me right

what album is that on?

once i sang a neil young song with a choir of 200 in the concert hall

the one about 'i was floating in a somehting something, with a tin can in my eye'

(really can't remember the lyrics of that)
    it had maybe a harvest in the title. or a field. maybe a gold.

:D Surely you jest, thats "After The Goldrush" as "covered" (in gick) this year by Six

Advertisement