Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best connection for multiple gamers...

• 14-05-2003 4:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Me and a few friends have decided to move into two houses which are side by side next year in carlow.
    There is roughly ten of us, we are all computer students, we will all have computers in our rooms and we are all interested in gaming.
    Now there will be a lan and it will be fun. Very much so, but we want to extend our bounderies see and....well frag ppl who are outside of shouting(shooting) range. This is why i want to know about broadband. I am no expert acually all i know is what i gather from reading here the last few weeks so my question might be stupid/already answered before but please bare with me...

So we have got two houses. which means two phone lines, but we would prefer if we could get the two lines into the same house.
    (1) If we get another line installed in one house will eircom split the existing phone line into two? Will two broadband connections work like this? Is there another option to get two seperate lines?
    The whole point is gaming. With ten ppl who can each afford roughly ten euro a week we reckon we could get two lines of via's 1m down / 256k up service. thats 2m down and 512 up. we are about a half km from the exchange. hopeing the line is of average quality...
    (2) If all ten of us were online at once what would the connections be like? better yet with ten of us playing quake 3 or similar would it be painfully slow and what kind of ping would we get?
    (3) Is it difficult to amalgamate two connections and then split it between 10 comps on a lan?
    According to the sticky the via service has a ping of min 60 ms but the esat service has a min ping of half that -- 20/30 ms.
    (4) Should we go for the esat option instead. The price difference is not that much between 10(80 euro a month for two lines). Is this service capped?
    I gather this ping difference is because interleaving is turned off on esat.
    (5) Why do esat have it turned off but via do not. Is there a chance via will turn interleaving on or via will turn it off?
    (6) Can they put a cap on a business line? Do you actually have to prove you are a business? We are wasterstudents ltd but dont do a great trade so dont pay any tax.:)
    (7) considering we wont be getting this until next september will much have changed as regards prices? new services? etc
    (8) why am i doing this instead of studying for an exam that i have in 36 hours from now?:)

Thanks in advance to anoyone who replys. The whole thing is confusing and as a newbee any help would be greatly appreciated.
    your sincerely : Bicky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Bicky,

Unfortuneately eircom have stopped the rolout of ADSL in carlow due to problems in the exchange. So if you haven't already signed up, your probably not going to get it.

There is no lead time on this at all, they won't say a bloody thing.

I suspect they are pulling out because there are at least 40 business in carlow paying 300 euro / month and all want adsl and eircom would loose a bloody fortune.

So weather the problems are real or not I don't know, but there were real problems with it a few years ago aswell when they moved to a digital exchange.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Bicky

So we have got two houses. which means two phone lines, but we would prefer if we could get the two lines into the same house.
    (1) If we get another line installed in one house will eircom split the existing phone line into two? Will two broadband connections work like this? Is there another option to get two seperate lines?
    The whole point is gaming. With ten ppl who can each afford roughly ten euro a week we reckon we could get two lines of via's 1m down / 256k up service. thats 2m down and 512 up. we are about a half km from the exchange. hopeing the line is of average quality...

Probably, they are loth to run extra copper if they can avoid it and think they will get away with it. Write in with a cheque and say "NEW LINE" in capitals, if they cash the cheque you have a contract.

(2) If all ten of us were online at once what would the connections be like? better yet with ten of us playing quake 3 or similar would it be painfully slow and what kind of ping would we get?

Ping would be 40ms (if you are lucky) and up at all times, the product is Interleaved. (ALL Eircom products are interleaved), all products in Carlow are Eircom products even if resold by VIA or IOL

(3) Is it difficult to amalgamate two connections and then split it between 10 comps on a lan?
    According to the sticky the via service has a ping of min 60 ms but the esat service has a min ping of half that -- 20/30 ms.

Amalgamation is a b33tch, forget it I'd say. If the sticky sez 60ms then believe the sticky. You can not get the ESAT business (low ping) product in Carlow.

(4) Should we go for the esat option instead. The price difference is not that much between 10(80 euro a month for two lines). Is this service capped?
    I gather this ping difference is because interleaving is turned off on esat.

You can't.

(5) Why do esat have it turned off but via do not. Is there a chance via will turn interleaving on or via will turn it off?

Watch this space over the summer, complain to Comreg yourself....about the VPN into the college timing out of course :D and how that affects your life and future prospects. Complain endlessly to CVomreg as you work your way up the Eircom ladder.

(6) Can they put a cap on a business line? Do you actually have to prove you are a business? We are wasterstudents ltd but dont do a great trade so dont pay any tax.:)

It may happen but has not happened yet. They call it a busines service to get more money, they do not care if you are students as long as you pay by DD every month.

(7) considering we wont be getting this until next september will much have changed as regards prices? new services? etc

This is Ireland and not an advanced economy. No! . There will be no new services.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lozloz

any meet ups for teenagers into gaming in the carlow area ?
    somewhere to hang and chill and chat maybe get some gaming on ?

let me know if u do, cheers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

JESUS CHRIST!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

spongebob, even back in 2003 making a legendary contribution to boards.ie

before he had a space in his name! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Praetorian wrote: »
    spongebob, even back in 2003 making a legendary contribution to boards.ie

before he had a space in his name! :)

Yeah was looking at it and wondering why it wasn't banned, then i seen last active in 2007, he should try go back to this account and see how long it lasts.

Slightly off topic, but why drag up a 10 year old thread??

Advertisement