Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is what €99 gets you..

Options
  • 14-05-2003 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi all.

Well my self install "kit" arrived yesterday. (ordered on the 11th of Aprill)
    Its an absolute joke!

Old brown padded envelope with a badly photocopied sheet, 1 double splitter/filter and two single splitters/filters.

No manual, no cd.

There is a link to the online PDF on the dodgy sheet but it points to the wrong address. (its missing "bveircom" out of the link).!

Nice to know you get value!

Now those filters cost in total, what ? about €20 or so?
    Sheet=worthless
    Engineer to flick a switch in the exchange when hes doing all the rest? can't be that much if hes doing a few at a time now can it?

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

do you have a digital camera ?
    if so take a picture of everything you got and post it.

if not I will come around to your house on the weekend and take one (provided your are based in Dublin of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Sure thing.
    I 'll do it when I get home from work.

Just remembered one of my "discussions" with a biddy after my original 10 days were up.

ME: Hello where is my self-install kit.

biddy: Oh the manuals that are included in the kit have mistakes in them so are gone to back to the publishers.

? Did they not get them back? :)

S.

make sure you get the crappy brown padded envelope and the sheet of instructions ... thanks

Will do

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

im actually glad i got an engineer on site for my dsl installation..

he completely re-wired some rooms for me for free too :-)

ripped out rj11 cable i had running from wall point to my room and

put in new rj11 cable from wall point to my room and split the signal at phone jack..

new wall point for phone line and adsl in my room, 3 meters from my desk

sound man :-)

That was fairly decent or him,
    its plastered all over the site that if the engineer has to do extra work they'll charge you for it.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kevinof

Very strange. My kit arrived - Nice box with modem, cables all nicely packed, cd, installation guide, splitters etc. No brown padded envelope though!

Huh,
    They obviously think that those who choose not to get their modems are not worth the effort.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Colin_Celbridge

yeah I got the A2 size second hand jiffy bag yesterday. I got 5 one port splitters and no two port ones. What good are these to me. Also the POST land phone works fine without splitters while on the dsl no noise at all on the line. Also, check out the customer code of conduct on the eircom site. I got 2 free months dsl and line rental and free engineer install on friday after I complained. Something to do with them agreeing to carry out work within a specified time and then not doing it. Check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Colin_Celbridge
    yeah I got the A2 size second hand jiffy bag yesterday. I got 5 one port splitters and no two port ones. What good are these to me.
    They are inline filters. Attach one to each extension that has a phone attached. The extension that the DSL modem is plugged into needs none.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by GUI_XP
    im actually glad i got an engineer on site for my dsl installation..

he completely re-wired some rooms for me for free too :-)

ripped out rj11 cable i had running from wall point to my room and

put in new rj11 cable from wall point to my room and split the signal at phone jack..

new wall point for phone line and adsl in my room, 3 meters from my desk

sound man :-)

Who did you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

This was back in feb..

istream solo..
    only installation option at the time was an engineer on site

he spent just over 3 hours on site..
    like must engineers he doesnt have a clue about computers..
    but he knew his telecoms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

most of the charge you got went to eircom for the setup charge of putting you on the DSLAM. about €87 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

ye i got mine in that a4 padded envelope yesterday too, with 2 single spliters and one dual splitters, i got the crappy photographed thing aswell but in fairness u dont need it, all u need do is plug the splitters into the phone line, harldy rocket science. Also i got no CD, ahj well i set it up my self a while ago, and got 5 days unmetered! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

Originally posted by Colin_Celbridge
    Also, check out the customer code of conduct on the eircom site. I got 2 free months dsl and line rental and free engineer install on friday after I complained. Something to do with them agreeing to carry out work within a specified time and then not doing it. Check it out.

I spoke to the customer charter people today and they refused to give any sort of compensation stating that it the charter covers only pstn lines not dsl.

Who did you speak to? Because Christ I ordered on launch day (11th of April) and only recieved goods yesterday....well outside the 10 working days!!

/d.

Yelnahs,
    Yeah its true you don't need it (i've been enjoying it for a week now:) )

Not the point though.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Colin_Celbridge

I spoke to someone called Marian in "Telephone House" shes pretty sound got tons for free stuff off her.

ah i see what u mean Shurl, for €100 you expect quaility! :D

God no, the last thing I was expecting from Eircom was quality :)

Just that after waiting for a delayed kit that was to include
    -Instruction manual
    -CD
    -Splitters etc

Then they send you out the crap that we got missing stuff!

S'pose its the principle of thing.

Thank christ I didn't need the instructions/manual to get me setup.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I also received "the Package"
    See Picture for full contents:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

YOU ARE PAYING EIRCOM TO CONNECT YOU TO THE DSLAM !!!
    Thats what your paying for not the dam splitters
    they are just a small cost on top of what Eircom are chargeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I understand that the €99 was to connect us to the DSLAM.
    But the package that everyone is receiving is not up to scratch, there is no instructions and no CD?
    Im guessing there is a lot of self install people out there who may not have access to the information that we have here at boards, I for one would not be connected to Radsl without help from the lads/ladies here?
    sean

Ye ur man said on the phone that i can get the eircom software off there site, but you cant, so i had to go out and do it for myself. Weird, how do the not so computer literate people get connected, do eircom just presume that they will all get the engineer to install? so they dont give the 'self install' ppl a CD presuming we have the ability to set it up ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by rabbitinlights

whats the eh.. single socket filters for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by ando
    whats the eh.. single socket filters for?

For the other phone extensions in your house (assuming you have more than one) that are connected to the same circuit.

carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by rabbitinlights

You opted for self install, seems like you have all you need there, just whats the problem? the colour of the envelope??!!

10mins on google (or here) should fill in the bits you don't know..this is self install after all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

I got mine yesterday...exactly the same as the picture supplied...

Now a few things, yes the €99 is for an engineer to go to the exchange, find you phone line amoung thousands of others, switch it to another point in the same exchange, put it through a filter/splitter, connect the lowest frequency part of this back to the original point, then connect the other part of the line to the DSLAM, then finally configure the DSLAM itself.

It also covers administrative costs I'm sure.

Now also you want a CD. Why? What do you want on a CD? Some stupid advertising or a nice chuck of spyware or something? I for one am glad they don't try and shove some crap promo software down our throats.

The thing which pissed me off is that they never sent along the network details along with the stuff, i.e. VCI/VPI, encapsulation details and username/pass. I had my own splitter that came with the modem I got last week. I could've hooked up then but I was waiting for them to send me out the network details!!

Anyway to eircom's credit a single 60 second freephone call to the i-stream tech support and I had all these details, another 60 seconds later and I was browsing at 512kbits/sec :)

Not trying to appologise for eircom alot of people have very genuine gripes and as someone who has worked for ISP's in the past I know how little they can care sometimes.

Personally apart from the lack of configuration settings I've no problem with the brown envelope they sent,

=rez=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Yelnahs
    Ye ur man said on the phone that i can get the eircom software off there site, but you cant, so i had to go out and do it for myself. Weird, how do the not so computer literate people get connected, do eircom just presume that they will all get the engineer to install? so they dont give the 'self install' ppl a CD presuming we have the ability to set it up ourselves.
    " to connect to our dsl internet service so you can download movies etc. faster you will need to connect to our website to get the software to allow you to do so" pld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

What exactly is this software?

I connected fine without anything except windows 98, modem drivers for dsl modem and the configuration settings I got on the phone from eircom.

You definitely do not need any proprietry software.

=rez=

Advertisement