Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is what €99 gets you..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by rez
    What exactly is this software?

I connected fine without anything except windows 98, modem drivers for dsl modem and the configuration settings I got on the phone from eircom.

You definitely do not need any proprietry software.

=rez=
    No you don't and neither would I. But assuming someon not so tech literate, like say no very techie parent with young children had to set it up and went with self install because they're being robbed of €75 min a month from eircom already to save money, yes they could in theory get the settings from support, but you really think they'd do that? They'd expect a CD, and IMHO they should be able to get one, even if the software is a pos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

people who are not techie should not be getting the self install
    it's for people who know what they are doing
    not for
    like say no very techie parent with young children

you don't know what your doing then pay for a engineer
    if you have any sort of a clue you can find out any info you
    need with out much trouble.

self-install is not just to make it cheeper
    your ment to know what your doing.

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Strange.
    My folks got a phone call off eircom yesterday (i was in work)
    asking if we received our self-install kit.!
    (they didn't know about the missing stuff)
    Also they apollogised for the delay!

Seems, to be fair, there are some decent people in Eircom, just the management could do with a bit of tweaking.

S.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Coyote
    people who are not techie should not be getting the self install
    it's for people who know what they are doing
    not for

you don't know what your doing then pay for a engineer
    if you have any sort of a clue you can find out any info you
    need with out much trouble.

self-install is not just to make it cheeper
    your ment to know what your doing.

Coyote

I disagree, with a simple, well illustrated instruction manual, it should be possible for anybody to self install.

Totally!
    The eircom manual/pdf is actually pretty good/clear.

Unless you have to change stuff (I.e you have a phonewatch alarm) its p*ss easy to do.

S.

Originally posted by bk
    I disagree, with a simple, well illustrated instruction manual, it should be possible for anybody to self install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

i thought the manual was excellent..

for some reason i received the self-install kit as a replacement for my usb modem even though i have been on istream solo since feb..

anyways the manual is very informed and well layed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by MDR
    do you have a digital camera ?
    if so take a picture of everything you got and post it.
    Any sign of that pic yet?

OHP

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    I also received "the Package"
    See Picture for full contents:
    You mean thats it??? Wheres the Manual etc etc etc???

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

the manual is an online manual, u dont get it with it. I just realised, u need connect to the net to look at the manual, but the manual is there in order to give you instructions on how to connect to the net, clever eh? Not everyone has a 56k

Originally posted by Yelnahs
    the manual is an online manual, u dont get it with it. I just realised, u need connect to the net to look at the manual, but the manual is there in order to give you instructions on how to connect to the net, clever eh? Not everyone has a 56k
    I'm lost for words!!! :confused:

OHP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

Hi,

I received the self install pack from eircom about a weeks ago, which was odd as I cancelled my order with them about a month ago, anyway I received the same plain brown baggy with nothing but the splitter/filters in it, there was nothing in or on the envelope telling me who had sent it, a few days later I received another baggy containing splitter/filters/wiring guide/connection settings/user information, this time the envelope and contents clearly stated that it was from Netsource.

over the last 6 weeks while trying to get my broadband setup I've delt with sales and tech's at both eircom and netsource, the main difference I've noticed between both companies is that eircom don't give a dam about their customers.

It doesn't matter how much you pay for the self install option, a wiring guide and setup information should still have been included in the package sent by eircom, with that and the setup guide you would receive with your ADSL modem/router most non-tech people would be able to setup their own broadband connection.

If you bought a wardrobe from IKEA you would expect that it would come with instructions that guide you through assembling it, maybe IKEA should do as eircom do and remove the pricey piece of paper from their flat-pack goods and advise customer that these are for carpenters only.

conclusion, eircom suck ass.

Cheers
    Will

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Toysrus

Has anyone got a link to this manual?
    My package is still with SDS as there was no one at home to accept delivery. I'm up and running on the service but would be interested in having a read of the documentation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I never heard of it either but try http://dsl-support.eircon.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

I don't suppose anyone is pissed off enough to complain to COMREG ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://dsl-support.eircom.net./SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=71,E=0000000000003937852,K=5922,Sxi=1,Case=obj(8909)

^Network Configurations ettings for Win2k.
    Apparently.

What kind of shite is that like?

Advertisement