Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Cover Versions

Options
  • 14-05-2003 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Just got thinking from another thread about an easy listening song that I recommended. It was a cover version of an old Tears for Fears song called "Mad World" and it was done by Gary Jules. And in my opinion I think it is far superior to the original.

Soooooo I got me thinking about other peoples' views on cover versions that are far superior to the original versions......so let's ave em!!!

Another one is David Gray's cover of Soft Cells' "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye"

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Dunno why I like it so much... but the Manic Street Preachers version of Out Of Time on the Warchild 1 Love album was quite good IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ryan Adams cover of Oasis' Wonderwall.
    Better than the original.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ahh wait for the usual cries of "man who sold the world" and "halleulijah" :)

my favourites are:

gomez - its getting better
    yo la tengo - you can have it all
    flaming lips - cant get you outta my head

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I love the version of Firestarter by Jimmy Eat World on the 1 Love album. I'ts class when played loud!

Also David Holmes did a loose cover of Beautiful Day by U2 that is just amazing.

Whenever an artist takes the song and totally re-interprets it then it's a worthwhile cover otherwise its just karaoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Jack L's version of "Can't get you out of my head" by kylie... erm, what else... Travis' version of "Hit me baby one more time" is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Joyrider - Rush Hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Dropkick Murphy's - Amazing Grace
    Johnny Cash - In My Life
    Radiohead - Nobody Does It Better
    and a few others I can't remeber at the moment!

I'm living in dread of what Avril, Snoop and the others are going to do to Metallica's songs in this MTV Icon thing tonight *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Okie
    I'm living in dread of what Avril, Snoop and the others are going to do to Metallica's songs in this MTV Icon thing tonight
    lol, i didn't realise snoop was going to be on that...
    puchizzle my fizzle metalicizzle... drizzle...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

GNR - Sympathy for the Devil

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

Ditto on the MTV icon bit. Had a look through my stuff and picked out the covers.

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal (Jackson)
    Steve Vai's - Star spangled banner (usa national anthem) Pantera - Mission Impossible (main theme)
    Rage Against the Machine - Fuck The Police (NWA)
    Aslan's - Angie - (stones)
    Quite liked their cover of Wish you were here but it comes nowhere close to floyd's version.
    Pearl Jam - Interstate Love Song (Stone temple pilots)
    Stone Temple Pilots - Roadhouse Blues (doors wasn't it?)
    Metallica - garage inc - Die Die My Darling (forgotten who it was)
    Metallica - garage inc - Loverman (nick cave & the bad seeds)
    Foo Fighters - Baker Street (gerry rafferty)
    Goldfinger - 99 red balloons (nina)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Giblet
    GNR - Sympathy for the Devil

got to agree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Originally posted by Okie

Johnny Cash - In My Life
    That whole album is deadly.

Radiohead - Nobody Does It Better
    Agreed, is that on any album, I've only ever heard it on Phantom.

[/SIZE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

kangaroo-jeff buckley
    hit me baby one more time-travis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

Anyone ever heard Cat Power's version of 'I can't get no satisfaction'? Absolutely wonderful...She makes the song completely unrecognisable..

Also have to cite David Bowie's 'Wild is the Wind' and Sinead O'Connor's version of 'you do something to me'.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Sparklehorse with Thom Yorke - Wish You Were Here
    Fun Lovin' Criminals - We Have All The Time In The World

Metallica - Darth Vader March (ok, not really a cover, but I likes it!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Suprised nobody has mentioned this yet:

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

Also:

Otis Redding - Satisfaction
    RHCP - Higher Ground

And a side note: Guns n' Roses doing Sympathy for the Devil - I hope you were taking the p***. If anyone says that their version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door is good I will shoot them.

[edit] Cant' believe I forgot these two:

Johnny Cash - I See A Darkness + The Mercy Seat
    [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by thedrowner
    kangaroo-jeff buckley

ooh bloody definitely.. tis my favourite jeff buckley track.. and "lonesome road" too (on the smae single iirc)..
    the cat power suggestion reminded me of her covers album which is quite good..
    not quite as good as stina nordenstams cover album "people are strange" tho... check out her versions of we are sailing (rod stewart) and people are strange (doors)... stinabulous! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Johnny Cash has some good ones from his American albums, esp. One (u2).
    And Hendrix's All along the Watchtower is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

Hmm, didn't JiMi have the original Watchtowers? Thought Dylan covered him....ah well, I've lost the best ever Dylan version of it, yeah he has loads of different ones. All good.

Btw, to whoever liked Jimmy Eat World's cover of Firestarter...you're kidding me. Title track to Bleed American was and still is my favourite track by them. Some people call it "salt, sweat, sugar".

A mate I used to go to college with was the drummer in a band that I had the privilege to see doing a live cover of Breathe by the prodigy. Just the way the prodigy sang it, except instead of decks, they used good old fashioned drums, bass, lead and vocals. Blew me away. And yeah, the drums on that were unbe-fucking-lieveable. Never knew til then how good a drummer me mate was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Stevie Wonder's "Dont your worry bout a thing" as covered by Incognito.

Beatles "Dear Prudence" by Siouxsie & Banshees

Sid Vicious "My Way"

Vaseline's "Jesus dont want me for a sunbeam" - Nirvana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Metallica's whiskey in the jar (not as good as the origional) and stone cold crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Ike & Tina Turner's version of Led Zeppelin's 'Whole Lotta Love' rocks. Much filthier than the original.

Tina can come and be old in my house any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Originally posted by Jaeger
    Hmm, didn't JiMi have the original Watchtowers? Thought Dylan covered him....ah well, I've lost the best ever Dylan version of it, yeah he has loads of different ones. All good.

Nope. Twas definitely a Dylan penned song. Although he readily admits that Hendrix's version is just as good or better than his - in fact he re-recorded a version himself in the same style as Hendrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Squarepusher - love will tear us apart. (joy division)

Only a brave man would try and cover joy division.
    but it sounds amazing.

I urge people to D/L this or even better buy it if you like things slighly different?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski

And a side note: Guns n' Roses doing Sympathy for the Devil - I hope you were taking the p***.

Why, because its a great version of the song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

S.O.S. by Abba was covered by the Mad Caddies, absolutley fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

JJohnny cash version of Personal Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Pantera - planet caravan
    Anthrax - sabbath bloody sabbath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Kali
    ooh bloody definitely.. tis my favourite jeff buckley track.. and "lonesome road" too (on the smae single iirc)..

i can't even begin to try and think what smae is coz i have no room left in my brain so would u be obliging and let me know, ta :)

also...i was gonna put down low's cover of last night i dreamt somebody loved me and then i said...'no...it's not as good as the original'

but it probably is

i listened to it last night and it nearly made me cry. (but at this stage of exams, most things make me cry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Nada Surf - Blue Monday and Love Will Tear Us Apart (New Order and Joy Division)
    Sonic Youth - Superstar (Carpenters)

Advertisement