Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Cover Versions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Originally posted by Benbaz
    Just got thinking from another thread about an easy listening song that I recommended. It was a cover version of an old Tears for Fears song called "Mad World" and it was done by Gary Jules. And in my opinion I think it is far superior to the original.

Gary Jules version is without a doubt about 71 times better than the original.

Also punk covers of "Ordinary World" by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, and "Time after Time" though I'm not sure who the artist was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by thedrowner
    i can't even begin to try and think what smae is coz i have no room left in my brain so would u be obliging and let me know, ta :)

haha that'd be ****ty spelling.. they're both on the same single..that being "last goodbye" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Fugees - No Woman No Cry
    (Original artists: Bob Marley & The Wailers)

Fun Lovin' Criminals - We Have All The Time In The World
    (Original artist: Louis Armstrong)

Guns'N'Roses - Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    (Original artist: Bob Dylan)

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar
    (Original artists: Thin Lizzy)

Metallica - So What!?
    (Original artists: The Anti-Nowhere League)

Rolling Stones - Like A Rolling Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

Guns N' Roses cover of The Skyliners song 'Since I Don't Have You'

Jimi's cover of 'Hey Joe' originally done by 'the leaves'

(as well as Jimi's version of Dylan's all along the watchtower which has already been mentioned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

Also quite like Muse's version of 'Feeling Good', originally performed by Nina Simone, but can't remember the names of the songwriters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Kali
    haha that'd be ****ty spelling.. they're both on the same single..that being "last goodbye" :)
    #

oh my goodness im so embarassed (well as embarassed as u can be over the net) you prob though i was being sarcastic, but no, i was being serious. these exams have fecked with my head royally!

i have last goodbye on single....but think it only has one 2 versions of last goodbye and kanga roo. i got it years ago, and its a cardboard cd case, as opposed to a hard plastic one.

Originally posted by thedrowner
    i have last goodbye on single....but think it only has one 2 versions of last goodbye and kanga roo. i got it years ago, and its a cardboard cd case, as opposed to a hard plastic one.

ahh.. ive the one in the Grace EPs box set, its the japanese version, has last goodbye, 13min or so live version of mojo pin, kanga roo and lost highway.. and for some reason i called it lonesome road above. bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Oasis - Hey hey my my (Neil Young)

Elton John & GNR - Bohemian Raphsody (queen)

Mott the Hoople - All the young dudes (bowie)

Manfred Mann - Mighty Quinn (dylan)

OCS & Noel Gallagher - Day Tripper (beatles)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

The Hendrix version of "All along the watch tower" is miles better then the original Dylan version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Originally posted by Bard

Guns'N'Roses - Knockin' On Heaven's Door

No sorry. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and all but you must die now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski
    No sorry. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and all but you must die now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

People were asked for their favourite cover versions. You could try resisting the urge to correct them when they do that.

To my list, I'd like to add:

Aslan - "Angie"
    (Original artists: Rolling Stones)

Radiohead - "Nobody Does it Better"
    (Original artist: Carly Simon)
    Originally posted by Squall
    The Hendrix version of "All along the watch tower" is miles better then the original Dylan version

I think you'll find that practically any cover version of any Bob Dylan song is better than the original. He was a brilliant song-writer but a poor performer in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I just remembered Nirvanas cover of Where did you sleep last night? by the Meat Puppets. Sounds amazing.
    And Avril Lavignes version of Knockin on Heavens door is brilliant too:D

Theres lots...
    But currently, it has to be Jennifer Ellisons( formerly of Brookside) cover of Tranvision Vamps Baby I don't care.

I have real player one plus, the pay thingy here and just watched the vid, with the sound blaring...
    Jebus... Baby I do care, you are Shexy!!!
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

ahh.. ive the one in the Grace EPs box set, its the japanese version, has last goodbye, 13min or so live version of mojo pin, kanga roo and lost highway.. and for some reason i called it lonesome road above. bah.

hey, i missed this ages ago!
    i have lost highway. think its on the so real single.

see, when i first got into jeff buckley, i went out and tracked down (usually in goerges st arcade) all the singles, so i dont have them as the box set, im sure there must be some differences.

also st. etienne done a nice version of "only love can break your heart"... tis worth tracking down for those into that sorta groove.

anyway not quite covers.. but listening to kid 606's "the action packed mentalist brings you the ****ing jams" at the mo, totally ****ed up versions of radioheads - creep, a-ha, missy elliot, kylie, in the usual kid606 style (rather ****ed up idm) its a total head **** trying to listen to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nessy

George Michael doing I cant make you love me .. (Bonnie Raitt)
    Gun doing Word Up (Cameo)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The Frank And Walters doing "Funky Cold Madina"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

also st. etienne done a nice version of "only love can break your heart"... tis worth tracking down for those into that sorta groove.
    Aye, 'tis on the greatest hits

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Repli
    Pantera - planet caravan

Yup, that's a good cover. I have it on CD single.

Other good one would be Metallica's cover of Whiskey in the Jar, though obviously it isn't as good as Lizzy version.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yeah, that is a very good cover - strange, but nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

heres some of mine, i'm a big fan of cover versions that sound nothin like the orginal

Zappa - Stairway to Heaven. He takes Pages solo and gets a brass section to play it unbelivablly well and note perfect, i highly reconmend it.

Zappa also does a Beatle medley which is too wacky to discride.

Nick Cave - in the getto(better then ronan keatings)
    The Great Wertern Squares - Ace of Speads(country sytle)
    Levellers - The Devil went down to Georgia
    Ben folds five - Free Bird(i love it)
    Johnny Cash - Mercy Seat
    Shane macGowan and Van Morrison - Gloria (its a ****e verson but i love it cos MacGowan sings gloria G L O I R A and Van has to interupts him live on tv)
    Buddy Rich - the Beat Goes On(a jazzed up big swing band version of sonny and chers song)
    Lawnmower Death - kids In America(kim wilde song)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 trunks

yea Shane macGowan and Nick Cave singing it's a wonderful world (Drunk) a true clasic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

is there any time he's not drunk?
    Sleeper - Atomic (Blondie)

Advertisement