Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

login cookies

Options
  • 14-05-2003 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

sorry if its been asked before...

When I login from home, i want to not have to login everyday. this is working perfect for me.

when im on the road doing my job, i want to be able to login and when im finished (if i forget to logout) i want the ability to not come back 2 weeks later and find im still logged in at this "public" pc.

sorry if i appear lazy or forgetfull, but this must happen to other people as well.

I was thinking something along the lines of a tickbox (just like hotmail) where i can specify "this is a public computer" when im logging on. I assume (forgive me non-technical in this dept.) that this is how hotmail "knows" not to keep me logged in when im running around town.

have made a really complex thing appear stupidly simple, if so ignore this request....everything is just fine as it is.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

Nice Idea, mind if i add to it?

I'm on the other end, allways logging on from public PC's not from home so I have my settings to log me out if the window closes. however I keep comming accross PC's in Cybercafe's that are loged into other peoples accounts, Now I don't mind logging out for them, but could the page after you log out please be changed to either the www.boards.ie page or a new page that asks for your Login because if you try typing www.boards.ie again you usually find yourself still looged in as the other person and have to log out again, and again. (My sslution is to click on user CP just after getting to the foroum page and logging in that way)

Anyway its but a small niggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by EdBanger
    but could the page after you log out please be changed to either the www.boards.ie page or a new page that asks for your Login because if you try typing www.boards.ie again you usually find yourself still looged in as the other person and have to log out again, and again. (My sslution is to click on user CP just after getting to the foroum page and logging in that way)
    This may be a cookie setting with the particular machine, once you log them out, they are logged out, it just hasn't refresh the main page. A refresh will change that.

Lads, perhaps a forced (from server end) refresh when you log out would take care of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

One other minor niggle about the cookie handling..

If people link to http://boards.ie rather than the usual http://www.boards.ie, i wont be automatically logged in. Itd be nice if that was fixed :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Last one's easy anyway.
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^[url]www.boards.ie[/url]$
    RewriteRule ^/(.*) [url]http://boards.ie/[/url]$1 [L,R]

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

Originally posted by Victor
    This may be a cookie setting with the particular machine, once you log them out, they are logged out, it just hasn't refresh the main page. A refresh will change that.

Lads, perhaps a forced (from server end) refresh when you log out would take care of this.

no this happens on most machines, in a lot of Cyber Cafes. instead of linking you back to the main page, boards links you back to the Forums main page. this dose not have a log in field.

• Advertisement
Advertisement