Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teeth Grinding at night

• 14-05-2003 1:02pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,
    My girlfriend often grinds here teeth at night. Its fairly loud and must be in some way harmful to her teeth, its sounds like she's chewing stones! I was trying to find some info about it yesterday on the net..its called bruxism.
    Anyone else know anything about it and how to stop it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

I think the solution is to get a plastic gumshield of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

yep. A gumshield, I know a guy who grinds his teeth at night. His gf actually gave him a black eye one night because of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

It will damage the teeth after a while. Its usually cause be stress and anxiety. Gum shields generally prevent damage in the short temp. Notice Joey in Friends has one doesn't he. Though I don't think its for grinding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

My sister grinds her teeth at night.
    Her teeth have worn away quite noticeable.

Dentist had a gumshield made specific for her which she has to wear every night.

Im not aware of what causes it.

Rgds,
    A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

My dentist told me once that i do that.

Never mentioned it again so I must have stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

does that mean that my girlfriend would have to wear the gum shield forever?

Get her to go to the dentist. Yup I know it costs a fortune but it'll cost her more in the long run if she doesn't get it sorted now.

For a cheaper option (and where my sister got hers). Find out if there is a dental training hospital near you. This is where students who are in college studying to become dentists work on patients. They are normally in their third year in college and quite capable (they are also supervised).

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

i grind my teeth i used to do it when i was about 15 and then i stopped

then i started last year in about august and i only do it the odd night.

i was quoted over €600 off a couple of different dentists for it but i have not got around to it yet, and the dentist never said anything about me grinding my teeth so they must not be in that bad a state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

hmm your girlfriend doesnt do alot of " pills " does she ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by Tusky
    hmm your girlfriend doesnt do alot of " pills " does she ?

lol what pop a few back and head off to sleep.........any woman who nightly ritual consists of that has more problems than worn teeth.......

a gum shield is the only solution, i used to grind in my sleep but stopped, teeth are fairly fukked now, well the bigger ones are anyway......

yes she'll have to wear it till she stops grinding which could possibly be forever if she lives that long......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

hmmm, ok, maybe if I stuff her mouth full of gummy bears as she dozes off she'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rella

I would suggest you get yourself a gumshield if she hears what you said about the gummy bears!
    Seriouly though I know somebody who grinds her teeth and was advised to get a gum shield, so yep gum shield it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

i suffered from stress when in secondary school and college, exams etc and started to grind my teeth at night which in turn gave me headaches and earaches.
    I got one of those gum shield things and wore it at nighttime when I was feeling stressed. Stops the grinding as your teeth are sorta locked into the top bit where they took the imprint.

It stopped after a few months. I don't have it any more, I think it got lost when moving house but I don't grind my teeth anymore.

It is most definitely stress related, stress has a lot to answer for in this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

stress has a lot to answer for in this world.

this world has a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

"this world has a lot to answer for."

...people, including me, have a lot to answer for.
    ..........but there's a whole lot of good floating around as well, including in/with/from??? me.

It's stress related alright, it can totally feic your teeth.
    Anyone have any idea how common it is?, my guess is not so common but not so totally uncommon either.

How is some people grind there teeth at not and not when they're awake, do they just stop themselves or something or is there more to it(no inuendo), like unresolved stressful emotions being run through/sorted out/surfacing or something..

quote:"run through/sorted out/surfacing", i think i'm coming down with with a bit of grammatical indecisiveness syndrom or something, hopefully it's not catching, imagine someone talking like that spurting out three words at once, imagine the insults........(you ****/*t**nn*/*** you *******......all censored thank goodness, some insults should not come to be..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah it's stress related. I champ my teeth, chew the inside of my cheeks and crack my jaw in my sleep if I'm stressed out.

A couple of years ago, my ex boyf started to whinge at me about the noise my jaw made when it cracked - at the time it was quite noticeable both asleep and if I was chewing something while awake. After being b1tched at for some time, I went to the dental hospital to see what they could do about it. Some suggestions suggested slitting the area where my jaw hinge is and rinsing the sockets but I flatly refused that. To stop the night champing and grinding they offered to fit me with what they called a 'night brace' which is basically a gumshield you wear in your sleep. I thought long and hard about it and decided against it - at the time I was quoted about £120 (IR) and I knew it wouldn't be worth it because I just wouldn't wear the brace. There's no way I could sleep with a gumshield in!

One way I found to solve it is to get better quality sleep - are you guys bundling in a single bed, or an uncomfortable double bed? Deeper you sleep, generally the less tooth grinding.

I'm a recent convert to Nytol as well to help get a good night's sleep and it does make a difference.

Finally, and I'm not trying to be horrible here, but how much does this tooth grinding bother your girlfriend? If she goes to see the dentist and the diagnosis is that it isn't damaging her teeth that much, earplugs are a damn sight cheaper than a night brace... :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I do it all the time, in my sleep i often get woken up recieving boxes to my face from the girf, stress related,namely work, and i have to wear a gum shield at night because my front teeth getting worn down to nothing, i went to the dentist he made one that fits my teeth exactly, still doing it though at night time, wake up in the morning, with white **** stuck to my lips, it is bits of my teeth. pain in the arse having this. it not as bad as it used to be :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Seems abit odd the reaction some of you have with your partners with this....

Personally if I can't sleep I get up and do something physically that really exhausts me, speed walking or jogging etc. Have a bath. Then have a glass of vino (a really heavy red works wonders) or a beer. No grinding after that. Worst thing is to be up on the PC or working late at home before going to bed. Keeps your mind active which is exactly what you don't want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭hells angels

Go to the dentist..and its not aways stress it could be her jaw that is slightly out of line.. thats what was wrong with my sisters but she got a gum sheild and was giving jaw excersies to do at night... not sayin thats what is wrong with your womans but if it is get it sorted out asap or she could be i serious trouble in the not so distant future....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dentist will make one for a high price. it is like a rugby gumsheild that doesnt guard the gums. you could get a rugby one and cut it down to size and use it. you may spit it out the first few nights but after that you will find it difficult to sleep without. my mate has one, dentist asked if they use drugs, probably to see if it was just from taking e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by ballooba
    My dentist told me once that i do that.

Never mentioned it again so I must have stopped.

you sleep with your dentist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nopreviousowner

Does she know she's doing it?

Yes, she knows shes doing it cos I tell her or else wake her up to stop her. Its dosen't particularly bother me too much or stop me from getting a good nights sleep, but I fear for her teeth as the crunching and cracking that she produces at night time is often quiet extra-ordinary. Sometimes she wakes up with blood between her teeth..not much...but I was thinking that this is from the grinding.

Hmmm... hopefully the problem is down to our single little bed as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

On a slightly different note, I had braces from a few years and now have been wearing a retainer for about a year. Its removeable and will be off soon for good. Someone was saying that they couldn't sleep with something in their mouth......in my opinion it makes absolutely no difference at all and feels quite normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Tusky

hmm your girlfriend doesnt do alot of " pills " does she ? [/QUOTE

Originally posted by mooman_00
    lol what pop a few back and head off to sleep.........any woman who nightly ritual consists of that has more problems than worn teeth.......
    ]

Moonman misses point methinks!?!?!
    Check out the Dance board to find out what Tusky mean't!!!!! :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Yeah, my brother has that problem. He got a gum shield/guard kind of thing, its not like a sports gum shield. get i done quickly, my brothers top set of teeth are as flat as his bottom set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I have this quite badly also I can't really see any damage yet so I'm holding off on the dental treatment.

Just to say that everybody grindsa their teeth it's the severity of it thats at question. Also that it's not neccesarily stress in fact nobody definitively knows what causes it. There just as much evidence to link poor lifestyle and particularily smoking to bruxism.

The thory goes that it's a bodily reaction to make you wake up a bit because your breathing is so ****ed.

Anyways just saying that treat any diagnosis of cause with healthy skepticism.

Good link:

http://www.is.wayne.edu/mnissani/bruxnet/advice.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Possible causes of teeth grinding at night are Stress, as mentioned here, diet lacking in certain minerals, drugs (again mentioned here) or, em, worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭josh40

My nine year old daughter does it so much ,she's had three root canals on baby teeth. Apparently. it's very common in young kids and is not believed to be stress related. It usually stops when they get their permanent teeth, I certainly hope so , I could buy a new car with the money I've spent on her teeth already.

If it continues, when she gets her "big" teeth, she'll just have to get a mouth guard. It is supposed to be fairly common in adults too, and apart from ruining your love live, it destroys the teeth and the pocket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Root canals on baby teeth? Is that not like fixing a tile a week before you get your roof redone?

• Advertisement

She's nine the permanent teeth are right below, bad first ones can destroy the second ones before they even come through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I see. Can the dentist not just extract the bad ones if the new ones will take their place in a couple of years? Just curious.

Gordon,

If the dentist removed the "baby/milk" teeth before the "big" teeth were ready to come down the gums may seal over. Therefore the gums would have to be slit open in a few years time to let the "big" teeth through. Happened to someone I know.

Rgds,
    A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I grind my teeth while sleeping sometimes, stress related or whatever causes it I don't know (deffo not e's anyway :p
    gumshield is the only answer, or as has been mentioned if you wanna throw the money away the dentist will make you one. Although I'm sure lifestyle's rugby gumshield will do just fine, does for me..

Another problem with removing baby teeth too early ,is that the space may closeand then you get to pay for braces later!

Advertisement