Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digibox Malfunction

• 14-05-2003 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Friend of mine has a Grundig digibox I sourced from the UK last year with an ex Sky sub card. He just rang me and said he lost all channels. At first I thought the card had been deactivated. However, when pressing him further he stated that he could not get any channel whatsover on the box,including FTA. All he gets is a Blue screen and the banner with the channel information as normal. Problem was sudden with no indication of a problem.He has rebooted,switched off socket etc.

Can anyone guess at what this problem may be. i.e. technical fault or some other issue. Would really appreciate some feedback on this.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

is the signal quality/strength still ok?

i have a grundig box too which is now over 18 months old and I havent seen anything like this before, especially after a reboot etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Power supply capacitor failures are commonest problem on Old Grundigs.

Ask at www.satcure.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

He still has signal strength. FYI, This is not that old a box .Its a silver Grundig with fast speed etc..

However,if its the problem that you say Watty ,anywhere local
    (ie. Limerick/Clare) to get it fixed??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Do a hard reset... usually fixes these little problems

Thanks, but could you pls advise what a "hard reset " is!!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Heat is another problem - My Grundig don't get channel 4 if I leave it on top of the analog receiver - but put it on it's side (PSU/power cable to the top) to get a good airflow (chimney effect) and away from the other warm receiver it behaves quite happily - no sat signal was what I was seeing on C4

Note: digiboxes power the LNB when in standby - so they don't cool down that much compared to when "on"

You can also cool them with a hair dryer (on the cold setting ! ) to see if that helps. - I've a pace box doing some thing similar - but it's problem is that it is not locking on to the EPG channel so no listings - so the daft thing don't know where to look for channels... - so before you do anything drastic - try to add a few channels in the other channels menu - check out www.satmania.com - try PCNE etc.

If you are certain it is no other problem - ie. have let it cool down for an hour or two and tried it on a neighbours sat cable (don't forget turn off and unplug from mains before changing sat cable) and still the same - then you could think about a forced sw upgrade (small chance of killing it or so it says on the web) - power down for one minuter - hold backup button on box - turn on power - wait a minute - take finger off button - should have a B/W message warning you of the dire consequences of interrupting the SW update during the next 10 minutes. - when finished it will power down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

all you have to do is disconnect it from the power and press the backup button and reconnect the power stil holding the backup button on the front of the box and wait till all the lights on the front of the box come on then wait about 10 minutes and it should go in to standby.

FYI Folks

The digibox is now working again. It seems a mild powercut was the problem. He basically never reboots properly etc . He has done now and all is ok

Thanks for help,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Jimmyireland

My Grundig digibox's software is stuck at 2.79bband will not accept a softawre update. I have tried to do it manually but to no avail.

After waiting two weeks for an engineer to call a taking a day off work yesterday(at my own expense) with no sign of the engineer calling, I have now been told by Sky that it will take until June 6th to get another engineer to call to me. Any one got any ideas for me. The system is running fierce slow and is in fact freezing at timesl.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Look at www.satcure.co.uk (lots of hidden info)

If there is any chance the dish moved or cable got wet try the box on a neighbours dish...

2.79 sounds old - and old grundigs did have funny symptoms caused by problems in the power supply..

BTW: June 14 is free to air day ;) so do you really need SKY ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    BTW: June 14 is free to air day ;) so do you really need SKY ??

July 14 is the proposed date for BBC FTA. :)

Advertisement