Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamecube

Options
  • 14-05-2003 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about getting a Gamecube for quite a while, so today i went into the games shop in Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre to see what they were going for.

The guy tells me that they're not selling GC's anymore. As far as he was concerned GC is dead. Killed off by X-Box apparently. All GC games are 50% off. Admittedly there's not a great selection but still might be of interest to some people. I asked him was he taking much of a hit by selling them at 50% off. He said he was making a loss but that he wanted rid of them.

Anyway, where can i find a cheap gamecube now? Or have i missed out on all the bargains?

Killian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Jesus... the cube's dead? When did that happin?

The cube's been going from strength to strength in the past couple of months imho... and the X-Box?!

perhaps i'm just no longer 'with it' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

i think he might find that the cube is the number one selling console in Ireland at the moment.

Whats the name of the shop ? me wants cheap games !

Try Xtra Vision for a gamecube - console on its own is 99 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What shop is it? A franchise or stand alone shop?

The cube has had 2 killer games in the last 3 months, and alot more to come. I think its far from dead.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

i wont even justify this thread with a response..no i will

you tell the ppl in the games shop in Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre to think again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I'll have to try and get to Xtravision and see if they have any left.
    I really don't want to miss out. :D

I can't actually remember the name of the shop, but it's on the top floor of the shopping centre, it's just around the corner from Bookstop.

What kind of deal's are Smith's/Game doing?

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Software City I believe it's called.
    I got Q3 Team arena in there last week for €5 :)
    Couple of weeks before I got Half Life plus two of the expansions (before the blue shift bundle) for €15.
    They don't strike as a bunch of intelligent folks in there. The asked if I knew I needed the origional Q3 to play Team Arena!! C'mon! really?!?
    I pretty much took their best PC games stock though (the cheap stuff anyway!)

It's upstairs in the shopping centre, beside Marks Models.

I just took a trip up to Xtravision and they said it was €159 for the cube and Metroid Prime but that there was none left with Metroid. I asked about the cube on it's own and was told that it's still €159 which i thought was a bit stupid.

Anyword on the cost in Smiths/Game?

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its 200 yoyos in GAME with any game , You can get the special metroid or Zelda editions of it there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it's €200 in gamesworld with any game as well...
    i think they have a gamecube, mario sunshine & 3rd party memory card bundle for €220

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

i think a large part of the problem the gamecube has had is how it's been treated by retail, not just poor marketing from nintendo.
    i remember being disheartened to see the cube gets it shelf space down the back shelves of the likes of game and eb at launch.

with xbox and ps2 getting prime fos displays, the cube was handicapped from the very start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

unfortunately in the eyes of everyone bar gamers the game cube sucks, some dont even think its still around! Nintendo chose not to advertise over here to save costs on the overall cube development. The drop in gamecube prices has ment there are a load of gamecubers out there but if shops stop selling cubes and accessories then nintendo may think there is no need for european sales of software whish would eventually lead to its death.......these are just my opinions.........

me i love mine and although i love my ps2 and hate the xbox(irrevelant but i felt it needed mentioning) i can only see myself spending game money on the cube for the next while, so long live the cube!!!.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I'm definitely buying a cube after my exams... I hope the price drops in Ireland too, after the E3.
    I'd wait until after the E3 anyway before buying one.

Originally posted by Kenshin
    I'm definitely buying a cube after my exams... I hope the price drops in Ireland too, after the E3.
    I'd wait until after the E3 anyway before buying one.
    anywhere between €100 & €200 isn't low enough for you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd just like to say that it really is frustrating the amount of **** that we get from nintendo in Europe. I love their games but the waits for the software is unbelievable and they are lossing lots of sales because of their poor advertising. It's also annoying how ignorant most gamers are in Ireland and England (more so Ireland). Most wouldn't know Metroid from a load of crap like Fifa and yet crap like Fifa and the xbox are flying off the shelves. I'm amazed that Zelda and Vice City did so well in Ireland.

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I'm amazed that Zelda and Vice City did so well in Ireland.
    zelda, yes.
    vice city was/is hardly surprising tho.
    released just before crimbo, advertised all the time on mtv, has the words "grand theft auto" in its title... i could go on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

The gamecube is not dead, despite nintendo's best efforts to pretend that it is. The sequel to the cube has been confirmed, so the little purple box is here to stay for the next few years. If you do decide to get one, get used to nintendo's piss poor distribution right now. Take comfort from the fact that they aren't deperately trying to part you from your coinage with every cheap trick & gimmick known to man (a la Microny, Sonysoft). Pure gaming quality will arrive, but it will it will silently sidle onto the shelves like a late student at a lecture who then goes on to get a 1st, the bastard.

Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

i think the Artane or Killester branch of Xtra vision is selling the cube on its own, for 99 euro - no game included. Give them a ring and see.

alot of these places don't seem to think its selling even though, theres clearly a large group of us buying them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Originally posted by tman
    anywhere between €100 & €200 isn't low enough for you?
    I'd rather wait a week if that meant saving €50... money doesn't grow on trees you know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

i cant believe its dieing. Oh well, its a pity, i was getting one. But i dont want a dieing console...ill stick with the ps2 instead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Originally posted by 50Cent
    i cant believe its dieing. Oh well, its a pity, i was getting one. But i dont want a dieing console...ill stick with the ps2 instead

How can you read this thread and come away thinking that? The games are there if you want them, and there's plenty more on the way even if there not rammed down your throat everywhere you look.

Zelda; Metroid Prime; Monkey Ball 2; Rogue Squadran; Resident Evil; Eternal Darkness.... and that's just the games I have myself. Everyone of them absolutely brilliant.

But, at the end of the day, do what you want.

It's also annoying how ignorant most gamers are in Ireland and England (more so Ireland).

50Cent take note.

• Advertisement

Ye theres a few ones which are good.

But Midnight Club 2 came out, and NBA streets Vol 2, Splinter Cell is on the PS2 now too with extra stuff that isnt on the Xbox....and of course, Pro Evolution Soccer 2(the best football game in the world) and Colin Mcrae Rally 3 and Vice City. Thats what i like to play...oh and lets not forget SmackDown shut your face, that is comedy with a few mates!

BTW Rogue Squadron was a load of COCK! It was ****...i remember playing it in Game, it sucked beyond belief. Monkey Ball 2 is crap as well. Metroid Prime is a great game...but ive a pc for all my FPS games. Dont know about Res Evil(apparently its diff for the gc?) now do i know about eternal darkness.

Jesus man, dont cry...Im not an ignorant gamer. And yes, i will do what i want. I just have more faith in Sony and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

50cent, you have a PS2, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

That guy in that shop knows nothing, absolutly nothin about nothin. I can't believe it. In fact, I'm heading down there right now to tell him he knows nothin. Let you know how I get on

Balfa i have a ps2 ye.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

50cents your exactly one of the people that I'm always on about. All the games you mentioned are just licenced tosh (midnight club 2 HA!). You really should play a game thats made not just to make money. Games like Zelda and Metroid. You can really tell the another of effort that went into these games. And it's not just on Cube. I suggest you get yourself some Ico, FFX and Vice City ( I personally much prefer the former games). You'll thank me for it. Unfortunately you should just give up if you have an xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well said.

- Dave.

50cents your exactly one of the people that I'm always on about. All the games you mentioned are just licenced tosh (midnight club 2 HA!). You really should play a game thats made not just to make money. Games like Zelda and Metroid. You can really tell the another of effort that went into these games. And it's not just on Cube. I suggest you get yourself some Ico, FFX and Vice City ( I personally much prefer the former games). You'll thank me for it. Unfortunately you should just give up if you have an xbox.

Licensed tosh maybe...but quality licensed tosh.

Secondly, i have a PS2 not an Xbox.

Thirdly, i have Vice City already and i dont want FFX. What the **** is your point? Everything you have said so far is ridiculous, can you not read what i posted? I have a ps2.

Ok, could we maybe stop the squabbling and get back on topic?
    Great, thanks.

Yeah, so i just saw TV3 news and they had a little snippet about E3, some stuff about america's army and some terrible looking game about hunting for Saddam Hussein.
    Anyway, they go on to mention Sony's dominance of the console market, how X-Box is catching up with Sony and then i hear this "nintendo's gamecube trailing behind with a small niche following among young children". Needless to say i was a bit surprised. But when you think about it, Nintendo isn't doing anything to try and change this perception of their products.

There is definitely something lacking in Nintendo's marketing department.

Anyone found a gamecube for in and around €100?

Killian

I believe I am going to have lots of trouble and many an argument with you 50cents. Some day you will see the light when you're older.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Retr0gamer, why not just accept that he has different tastes to you. He's a casual gamer obviously, one who mostly likes to sit around with some mates and have a laugh on his console. He doesn't care about the craftsmanship, he just wants some fun. You're taste is in better games, but unfortunately most people don't care, nor do they have the time to get into these games.

But yeah... back to the cube. I might be getting one soon for me 18th, but I've gotta source out a cheap one <preferably with game>. It'll be the first console I've had since ye olde Mega Drive and I haven't a clue on game prices and the like. Or even what's good on it. Just a case of In Nintendo We Trust. :D

So a little help?

Advertisement