Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl and best isp for ping

Options
  • 14-05-2003 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know when NTL will be offering Broadband in Cork City, specifically Ballinlough.
    What about Esat and Netsorce when will they be offering it around here?
    Who is the best for a compromise between gamin and general use?
    Does anyone remember the local politicians harping on about ESB (I think) laying broadband cable around the country?When will this be done and who will be providing the cable broadband NTL or a new company? (lets hope its not Chorus theyre T.V service is bad enough Id be frightened to think what they'd be like with broadband)
    Id be very grateful if anyone could provide me with answers.
    Does anyone know what un-bundled means when people are referring to a broadband service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

as things stand

NTL never

ESAT never

ESB (over powerline to the home) vaguely possible, you could try to persuade them

Chorus own the cable, whaddaya think

you could get wireless from amocom.com a S Cork based WISP

LLU means that the wire to your house is not under the 'control' of eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

thanks muck.

So we're pretty much stuck with eircom down here?

What is wireless broadband like?:ninja:

2 Kinds

1. The community not for profit type, the Irishwan model.

2. The commercial type (licenced and faster usually) such as Amocom of which I know nowt save that they exist.

M

Thanks for that Muck I didnt even know Amocom existed.
    They look pretty good 80euro/month for 512download/512upload
    Does'nt say if there is a download cap.

Do you think that Eircom are ever likely to scrap their download cap or at least raise it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Chowley
    thanks muck.

So we're pretty much stuck with eircom down here?

While I shouldn't be helping you southsiders get broadband :D I'll help anyway, aren't I so big hearted.

You might also be able to get IOL Broandband and Netsource SOHO, these products are based on Eircoms RADSL wholesale product and should be available everywhere that Eircoms RADSL product (iStream Starter) is available. These two products have better features and prices then Eircoms product IMHO.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bk.

Do you know anything about wisp?

Supposedly Netsource said that they wont be offering bb here until August, which is strange as Eircom are supposed to upgrade this exhange this month.

Once an exchange has been enabled can the other companies such as Esat and netsource then provide bb?I presume they can ya?

Can anyone tell me what RADSL is I really dont hav a clue about broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

wisp - wireless internet service provider

radsl - rate adaptive digital suscrivers line ie) u can be as much as roughly 5.5km from ur local exchange to receive it, can go up to 512k download 128k up but 256k down is only guarenteed

adsl - asymetric digital suscribers line ie) under 3km to receive it and is a guarenteed 512k down and 128k up, or u might go for the 1mb

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Chowley
    Thanks Bk.

Do you know anything about wisp?

Wireless can be great (see IBB) or awful (see Chorus), I don't know anything about the company in question, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Supposedly Netsource said that they wont be offering bb here until August, which is strange as Eircom are supposed to upgrade this exhange this month.

Did you ring Netsource and they told you this, or is this second hand info? As far as I know they are should be available at all Eircom enabled exchanges. Unless maybe Eircom haven't enabled your exchange yet.

Just ring netsource and ask them to do a line test. You are not under any obligation to take it if it does pass, but at least you will know your options.

Once an exchange has been enabled can the other companies such as Esat and netsource then provide bb?I presume they can ya?

Well depending their agreement and setup with Eircom it should be possible.

Can anyone tell me what RADSL is I really dont hav a clue about broadband.

Answered by BArra

Would a wisp be guarenteed 512up 512down or would it be like RADSL and have lower rates guarenteed?

a well run WISP should have pings like NTL or ESAT business, 20-30ms , a crap WISP can be really slow....you'd be better off with the Eircom product.

same with speeds , if they are pros then 512k it is.

M

• Advertisement

Im just worried about the download cap 4Gig seems like it would be very easy to pass and then of course there is the interleaving thing.
    Thanks for the advice anyway muck and the rest.

Advertisement