Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios Upgrade

• 14-05-2003 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Hey Lads,

I really need some help out on this one, my heads totally wrecked. This is for Blasters PC (for those of you who remember him). Basicly, I have a 40 gig drive and I cant get the pc to see it properly. With some jumper changes, I can get windows 2k to see it, but will only see it as an 8gig drive.

From reading all the trouble shooting guides, it appears I need a bios upgrade. I cannot find the right bios upgrade for this, so its a bit of a witchhunt. So here are the details -

BIOS Manufacturer : Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    BIOS ID : 01/28/1999-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KJ1CC-00
    BIOS Date : 01/28/99
    BIOS OEM Signon : V.7BXAN_2 C01 01-28-1999
    Chipset : Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
    Super I/O Chip : Winbond 83977EF found at port 370h

Seriously lads, big time kudos if you can help me on this one!

Thanks
    Eric

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Hey Eric,

Not sure if this will help but it might be a start. I had a search and found a guy with a similar problem to yours. He gave almost, if not the same BIOS information. Have a look.
    The bios he updated to can be found here.
    Hope this helps.

Jimmy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Deadly Jimmy.

At least that gives me what proggie to use. part 1 done.

Im just worried/wondering what bios file to use now..???

Eric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

BXAS2D01.BIN ?

Thanks Jimmy,

Yeah, I tried them, but w2k still only sees it as 8gig.. any other ideas ?

Eric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Can you get details of the system board manufacturer and model, as I've often had more luck getting working BIOS upgrades by going this route.

• Advertisement

sure... any suggestions as to tools to obtain the board manu. Everything ive tried says its a intel i440BX, but it looks doubtfull if it is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech.

Something like Sisoft's Sandra will tell you the make and model of the motherboard. (and everything else, for that matter)

I know maxtor have a utility that you can install and it'll allow the entire drive to be seen on older machines like this, but I doubt it works on non maxtor drives. The other manufacturers should have similar utilities, have a look on the relevant site for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

if you fdisk in another computer ie modern bios system then it should read as 40 gig because i have found this problem before with a packard bell 166mx which was max 2gig fdisk and when i put in 14 gig into it it read as 14 gig.....older computers max was 2gig..then 8 gig..then 32 gig max...and so on.have you tried this fdisk on modern bios?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Just to Phaxx's comments, you'll also find the board details marked on the physical board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

http://www.wimsbios.com/
    2A69K Intel 440BX/ZX chipset (Pentium II/III based chipset)
    J1 Jetway (Jetboard, Acorp)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The board has the i440BX chipset, it definitely is the same board that yer man has in the link sickboy posted.

Try the newer bios http://210.201.178.73/bios/9bxan/9bxasa13.BIN

Read that thread, he mentions that it gave a warning about the part number not matching the system... dunno if it will do the same for you.

If that still doesn't work, you could probably pick up a pci ide controller for 30 euro, don't use drive translation software as it will be terribly slow.

Thanks lads.

Gerry, Im gonna try that today. Yeah, I got the same message as he did, but it made no difference :(

hmm..

I tried that .bin file Gerry, but it gave me the message -

'the program files part number does not match your system' and then quit out :(

wah wah. Any other suggestions... sorry to be a pain, im really stuck on this one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Use the /F switch to the awdflash program, that will skip whatever version checking it does and write the bin file.

heh, I give up!

Tar for that Rob1891. So off i goes to try that and then I get.. 'file size does not match'..

Like please.. gimme a break here :)

Advertisement