Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscene Calls

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by thedrowner
    how i solved the situation was dropping hints to various people about us going to the police. it shook them up, and made the calls stop-it may not work for you, but it's worth a shot.

Thats actually a good idea. Not sure if she wants all her friends to know. I'll say it to her. Her friends will probably come to the same conclusion she came to about who's making them and make a point of talking about it in front of him. That would have to change his attitude one way or the other, either he'll start making threats and the fuzz will bust him or he'll quit.

Originally posted by [-UK-]Wolf
    If I can ask?

What are the calls like? Are the lurid? Are they violent threats? Are they sexual threats? I mean what are we really talking about here.

There are different ways of dealing with different weirdos what kinda of weirdo is it thats phoning her ?

He says nothing at all. By saying nothing an obscene caller has a lot more power. He can make victims feel like **** without exposing himself to the law too much.

He would have to be in his early to mid twenties by the way. He is not a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

it should work. do get the call traced as a back up, in case the person in question doesn't believe you'll follow through with it and you end up having to, at least you'll get it sorted then. i didn't drop hints in my case i actually warned them- basically what happened was me and a friend fell out, and all her school friends were threatning me, on top of my best friend getting the obscene phoncalls, so i just replied directly to the school girls and told them to 'grow up, that it was nothing to do with them and to try and deal with the situation in a more adult matter. and due to the obscene calls, you can pass the message on that the cops have been called'

i know most of it is irrelevant but just thought id better give u the background info. i didn't hear a single thing from them and no whenever any of these people see me they act like nothing ever happpenned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

I'm afraid I Have no advice for you balooba on this one :(

I just wanted to make the point about how stupid the system is in this country. You seem to have to know a Garda or know someone who knows a garda before you can protect yourself.
    Grrrrrr
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is the possibility that it is someone accidentally redialling her number with their phone in their pocket?
    Originally posted by Jaeger
    If they're not speaking, then it's not an obscene phone call and the gardaí can and will do nothing as there's been no laws broken.
    In such a case it's harrassment, which is just as bad.
    Originally posted by hells angels
    I think the air-horn idea is the best by far it should teach him not to fcuk with you and probably deafen him for about a week but sure what harm is that.....
    This may not work as there is a volume limit on a phone.

• Advertisement

About the airhorn thing. She lives in a terraced house and the calls come at night so I don't think that the neighbours would appreciate that.

lol.

Wasting his credit would be nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

air horn is a great idea. !!!
    imao
    But probably would'nt work as victor said!!

Yea gerry ryan or joe duffy bout the 6 week wait. But even if unsuccessful could help raise awareness.

Some sick ****er was ringing my home. My 9 yr old sister (at the time ) picked up the phone .

Then they just stopped.

I think yea if u just left the phone on top of the tv and sat down each time

.so he would know ur not listening.

Every time he rings u say" time for tele again"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm not sure where the best place for this is so I'll go for Nets/comms as this is a topic for technological intricacies. I'm sure the nets/comms people would be best suited to answer this one.

Apologies for putting this in the wrong place if that is the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Balooba dont call my post retarded. Its not my fault your friend is completely over reacting. What makes you sure its the same person calling each time? I ALWAYS get calls where no1 speaks...its mainly due to me being first in someones phonebook and getting called. I honestly think your friend is over reacting. If the person calling is saying nothing, then forget it. And dont imply Im retarded you ****en muppet.

Originally posted by 50Cent
    Balooba dont call my post retarded. Its not my fault your friend is completely over reacting. What makes you sure its the same person calling each time? I ALWAYS get calls where no1 speaks...its mainly due to me being first in someones phonebook and getting called. I honestly think your friend is over reacting. If the person calling is saying nothing, then forget it. And dont imply Im retarded you ****en muppet.

OK maybe highly retarded was a bit harsh. I stand by the retarded bit though. Explain to me in 300 words why your post was not retarded and i'll take it back.

Someones phone being unlocked in their pocket is not that likely as it happens at the same time all the time and not everyone has their number blocked and 20 times in 42 days?

There has been a few good suggestions here. Thank you. I'll put them all to her tonight and she'll probably take at least two of the suggestions here and put them into place. I'll post an update soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

kick the sho*t out of him!!!! and remember kids, life is the most precious gift of all....:D

I have explained myself already. The point is your friend is over reacting and seems like a very weak, fragile individual who is getting so worked up over someone ringing them up and not saying anything. Now if they are calling her home phone, well thats a different story...thats personal. But its a mobile phone. Stop over reacting.

Think of it this way? If they were ringing up saying " I am going to rape you" or "i am going to kill you" then id be very worried. But there just ringing up and saying nothing, if i were her, id play the joke on them. Id use reverse psychology and act like i know who it is and wind them up and when you see the guy/girl she suspects it is(give them weird looks etc).

But Ballooba you seem like a ****en tosser anyway, one who "knows it all" already. So ye **** you. Thanks for calling me retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 tomnoc

50cent

your being abusive agin so

SHUT UP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 tomnoc

Forgot to mention booluba i think you were right the first time about the highly retarded bit 8-)

Now if they are calling her home phone, well thats a different story...thats personal. But its a mobile phone. Stop over reacting.
    I would actually say calling a mobile is a hell of a lot more personal than ringing a home phone.
    Think of it this way? If they were ringing up saying " I am going to rape you" or "i am going to kill you" then id be very worried.
    I don't think we're ever going to agree on this but if you consider the psychology behind not saying anything at all, it can be a lot more threatening than saying something. If they make a threat then you know what they are threatening. if they say nothing at all then your left to your own devices to consider what they are threatening. They aren't doing it for a laugh. They are doing it to hurt someone, psychologically or physically it makes no odds.
    But there just ringing up and saying nothing, if i were her, id play the joke on them. Id use reverse psychology and act like i know who it is and wind them up and when you see the guy/girl she suspects it is(give them weird looks etc).

But Ballooba you seem like a ****en tosser anyway, one who "knows it all" already. So ye **** you. Thanks for calling me retarded.
    Apologies for calling you retarded, you caught me at a bad moment. I know thats no excuse but sorry. In retrospect you seem like a perfectly sound, reasonable person. You made light of the situation and rightly so because maybe it seems trivial to you. Remember though that to this person if seems very serious. i'm not so much worried for this person's safety so much as that they have to worry about it all the time. this person is the type of person who wouldn't confide this in me unless it was really getting to her.

Here's an alternative solution which may solve all woes. A mate of mine was getting prank calls till all hours of the morning from muppets in school. So whenever they called, we would turn their prank into our prank and just say random and hilarious stuff down the phone. Unfortunatley our fun was short-lived as the prankers soon stopped pranking :/. Me thinks we dented/destroyed their pride :)

Give this a go and if it doesnt work ...well cant help ya :(

btw I only read the first post as I cant de ársed trawling through 3 pages of poo.

No worries man. Its all good. I apologise also.
    I don't think we're ever going to agree on this but if you consider the psychology behind not saying anything at all, it can be a lot more threatening than saying something. If they make a threat then you know what they are threatening. if they say nothing at all then your left to your own devices to consider what they are threatening. They aren't doing it for a laugh. They are doing it to hurt someone, psychologically or physically it makes no odds.

I have to agree with this actually. I say and especially for a girl it could be very worrying since if it happened to a lad, its usually other lads messing about, but with girls, it has to be taken a lot more seriously cos girls messing dont usually do that stuff to each other.

I actually have no doubt at all its a guy. Its so typical in some aspects cos some guys just like girls CANT let go.

Anyways Ballooba, good luck with it, hope it gets sorted and very painfully too(for the guy thats responsible)

Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

blowing a whistle down the phone is a good idea. if you have an idea of who this is then confront the bastard

As I said before the whistle thing would not work. the neighbours would have a calf if they heard that at three am. Once again Andy, I apologise. Put it down to a bad day.

Advertisement