Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[E3] Half Life 2 Impressions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Where are you getting the movie from?

Wait nevermind I found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Omg. The physics of the objects looks amazing, the graphics look amazing and the video gave the impression that it plays like hl1.

Im excited, but worried. Lord knows what type of spec machine you'd need to run that beast :/

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

I don't think you need to worry, according to Gamespy, you won't need a superbeast to enjoy hl2, see below:

"With all of these considerable graphical upgrades, we were pleased to hear that the minimum system specs are currently targeted at a 700 MHz PC with 128 MB RAM and a DX6-level video card, meaning you won't need a NASA supercomputer to run Half-Life 2. Of course, you'll want to have something better to fully reap the benefits of the new tech, but gamers who haven't upgraded in a while shouldn't have to worry about breaking their budget."

Courtesy of Gamespy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Pretty kick ass 30mb vid of HL2 here.....

Seems the lads bandwith got wacked out of it so its down for good. Gamespot live has some kick ass video feeds but would be madness to try and view them on anything less than ADSL.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Here's 2 Vids I've found.

http://minds.may.ie/~provost/half-life2/

Vid 1 is like a teaser trailer.
    Vid 2 is in-game action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 OddBall

getting a 404 on that - anyone got any good links to half-life 2 movies ?

Nice one slydice - works a treat !!

oh man does that look good or what ???

Just imagine the mods that we can make - man o man we got 2 brilliant games coming - half-life 2 and doom 3 - check doom 3 out :

http://www.darksidelan.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

my god!! half life 2 = drooooooooooooooooolllllllllll
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

omfg at doom3!!!! I think I need a change of underwear after that one! :eek:
    (downloading HL2 vid atm)

• Advertisement

Graphically HL2 isnt mind blowing, but the interaction with the world, like, OMG! I want to play that..... now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Oh please God let Valve stay true to their word and release HL2 in September, please!. I'll be goog and go to mass everyday and pray etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I was talking to the guys over in Havok who did the physics for this game and they are pretty excited about it. It's looking good although it's hard to believe that Valve might deliver on something this century.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy **** i cant comprehend how ****ing amazing that physics is. When he blows the trailer down on top of the guys in the court yard its a plank of wood hanging out that knocks out one of the them. In****ingcredible. Or pushing the pieces down onto the stairs to hinder the following soldiers...WOW. The flying radiator, the animation on the soldiers and guns, the flopping of the mattress are all really great.
    First clip in years which has made my jaw drop.
    In comparison doom3 looks like another pretty in pink, graphically sweet shooter. Give me a hl2 over forty doom3's any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I was speechless. It looks like it's going to be classic already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

ooh, Doom 3 looks pretty amazing too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The game just looks soooooo sweet :) This is looking like the game of the year already. The buggy driving video looks kick ass and the other crashed cars and trucks being knocked about by weapons fire is awsome looking. Even the small touch's like the screen view ducking and bobbing when getting into the buggy smacks of attention to detail and really draws you into the game.

August cant come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I watched that clip with the gravity gun (the one with the radiator and mattresses n'stuff)

Oh
    Dear
    Lord :eek: :D

And that was before I watched the last 45 seconds or so ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

omfg, the swinging girder!!!:)
    the grenade blowing the big skip off the roof & squashing the cop!!!! (hl2's version of the marines by the looks of things)

well worth a download!

another link for the 2:22 gameplay vid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

9 different vids here!
    http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/trailers/halflife2/
    i can't vouch for their quality (no quicktime installed on college pc's)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone watching the news last night. I think the physics engine is the Havok engine. And it was made in none other than Ireland!

Irish beign a part of history, wh00t, gwan the paddy's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Curse this 56K modem, I must get back to college, and from what you lot said, it sounds like I'm in for a treat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BlackFlag

www.hlccl.com

Europes biggest HL DM league and forums

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Anyone watching the news last night. I think the physics engine is the Havok engine. And it was made in none other than Ireland!

Their graphics engine was also used to do special FX in The Matrix Reloaded

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by meglome
    I was talking to the guys over in Havok who did the physics for this game and they are pretty excited about it.

Which is why I had said already that I was talking to the guys over in Havok, their engine is doing the physics in the game. I should have been clearer the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Hope it reverses Havoks fortunes. A friend of mine and a few others were made redundant a few weeks ago. (she wanst too sad about it, she wanted to go to Oz for a bit anyway :p)

For Havoks sake i hope they get a huge chunk of mouladh for whats looking to be a spankingly good physics engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

two words.

f-u-c-k-i-n-g unreal!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Knew this game would be good but I thought it wouldn't be as groundbreaking as the first game. Well I ate my words when I saw the videos. Feckin amazing. The AI and physics are amazing. Time for an upgrade methinks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement