Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving an eircom phone point?

Options
  • 14-05-2003 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Anyone know if it's possible to move an eircom phone point within a house that is wired with many points, without having to call eircom out?

I did try disconnecting my 1 eircom point and connecting it upstairs (blue and red wire, exactly as eircom had done it), but to no avail.

any info appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I dunno about movin it about yourself but I do know eircom do it for free, we had it done a few times..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Is this a newish house we're talking about, do you have an external white box on the side of your house like your esb meter box only smaller? I can talk you through it if you give me more info.

Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

An electrician should be able to do it easily enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

Originally posted by Redshift
    Is this a newish house we're talking about, do you have an external white box on the side of your house like your esb meter box only smaller? I can talk you through it if you give me more info.

Ryan

Redshift - i am moving in to a new house shortly with that white box on the outside there is one point in the living room - I want to put another point upstairs - Any info about this type of installation would be appreciated. ie (is this just a pipe running thru the wall to the point.)

Originally posted by macronot
    Redshift - i am moving in to a new house shortly with that white box on the outside there is one point in the living room - I want to put another point upstairs - Any info about this type of installation would be appreciated. ie (is this just a pipe running thru the wall to the point.)
    I would be supprised if your new house is only wired for one point. Usually there are several wired for but just one socket is installed and connected by the electrician this is usually in the hall. If you open the white box on the side of your house you should see a few Cat-5 cables one of which will be connected to a matchbox sized eircom junction box the spare cables will be for extra phone points usually they go to the kitchen, Alarm, Master bed, Living room. Look in these rooms for a blanking plate low on the wall, opening it should reveal the other end of one of the Cat-5 cables outside if you want a socket there you will have to purchase a rj11 phonesocket to replace the blanking plate connect on pair of wires from the Cat-5 to the green and red terminals on the socket and connect the other end of those wires into the eircom junction box outside just connect them up the same way as the existing connections you can't really make a mistake here and it doesn't matter which way around the pair of wires is connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

Thanks for the info RedShift. Will have a more through look around when i'm in the my new house again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 vjoc

I's a goog tutorial but it is for british sockets which are wired slightly differently to ours it also over complicates what is a simple task.

Advertisement