Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem?

Options
  • 14-05-2003 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭

hey
    i need some advice i have a BCM V.92 56k voicemodem, wich was installed when i got the computer from dell, it is crap, i'm using xp home, and pro.. phone line connection gold plated each end, about 10meters away from the sockett, the problem what i'm having when i'm downloading files of around 2MB it takes around 30-45 minutes to finish downloading, that is way to long. couold the problem be the modem or the server who this is going thru[ eircom] if it is the modem are there any good external one's on the market?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 tomnoc

More likely to be bad connections than a faulty modem.
    what speed are you connecting to the net at and how far is your house from the telephone exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

10 mtr long cable! Try one <6 foot for a start, and have you tried any other ISP than Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

10 mtr long cable! Try one <6 foot for a start
    Considering the crap phoneline the signal had to go through from his wall point to the exchange I would doubt that this small extra distance is the problem ... it could be the 10meter cable itself though ... try a different cable from your PC to the wall point ...

Personally I would say that it is the modem, some are crap and some arent .... if you have a mate with an external modem ask if you could borrow it and see does it give similar download speeds to what he/she was getting ...
    and have you tried any other ISP than Eircom?
    This is a good point, I find that I get 4 - 5 Kbps of an increase by connecting to a different ISP, I believe it has to do with the chipset type in their modems that they have at their end matching the chipset type in your modem ....

Another thing that may help is to look for an init string for your modem type ... check the manufacturers website...

Lastly, there are apps that tweak the maxmtu and other settings, these can help speed up your link but not by a large margin ... there are loads out there, mostly shareware .. but there are a few freeware ones ... have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

cable length can be a big factor in connection speeds. anything longer than 6ft will start to have an adverse effect on the signal strength due to tenuation on the line (longer the cable from the socket to the PC, the weaker the signal gets).

everywhere from the socket back to the exchange and beyond with have repeaters which boost the signal to prevent significant signal loss, but I've yet to see any extension cable that has anything like that on it. keep it <6ft and you'll be a lot happier.

A proper phone point (installed by a decent engineer) will have a repeater in it which would help.

If this isn't practical you could use CAT5 (sheilded network cable) with RJ11 (phone) plugs on it, which I have used in the past with a cable of about 50ft and got a half decent connection with it, but normal phone cable just isn't of high enough quality to do the job if there is too much distance to cover. <<<to do this though you'll need a geeky mate with access to some CAT5 cable, a crimping tool and some RJ11 plugs.

another idea is something i saw recently in the eircom store in Henry St. which uses the electrical cabling in the house to send the signal over longer distances than you could acheive with a normal phone cable.

there's a link for it HERE but I honestly don't know if it's any good, but you could probably take it back if it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by vibe666
    cable length can be a big factor in connection speeds. anything longer than 6ft will start to have an adverse effect on the signal strength due to tenuation on the line (longer the cable from the socket to the PC, the weaker the signal gets).
    I'd love to see a proper technical website link saying all this ... and I have never in my life seen an repeater inside a phone point, or anywhere else in a house for that matter ...
    As for length of phone line in the house I have a plain 50 meter phone extension cable (bought in Roches Stores, nothing fancy) running from my phone point to my computer, I almost always get 49,333 connection to EliveFree and 45k to 47k connecting to Eircom ....
    I'd love to know where this magical 6 feet comes from ....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement