Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dut?

• 15-05-2003 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Dublin University of Technology? I doubt they'd change the name but do you reckon that University status is the right way to go for DIT?

If so give your reasons why and back them up.

I would like to see DIT gain University status as long as the practical, industry oriented and innovative spirit of the college remained a dominant feature in the University.
    University status urged for DIT and Waterford Institute
    By Sean Flynn, Education Editor

A transformation of higher education with new-style universities in Dublin and Waterford is proposed in a major new report.

The report, by one of the leading world authorities in the sector, says Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) and Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) should be given university status.

It also says that the sharp division between the seven universities and the other 12 institutes of technology should be scrapped. Instead, it wants to see the institutes in areas such as Cork, Galway and Limerick forging closer links or even amalgamating with the universities in these cities, creating "higher-education networks".

The report argues for a "more fluid, flexible and integrated" third-level system which could respond more effectively to national priorities. The current system, it says, lacks overall direction and purpose.

Prof Malcolm Skilbeck - the author of a series of landmark reports on Irish education - says the current deep divide between the seven universities and the institutes "inhibits creativity and innovation".

Even the largest institutes, he says, do not enjoy anything like the freedom, power, prestige and influence enjoyed by the universities.

He says a move to give DIT and WIT university status, with a "very clear industrial and technological mission", would introduce a new kind of university. It would also challenge traditional views of the university sector.

Prof Skilbeck, a former deputy head of education at the OECD, is the author of The University Challenge. Published two years ago, his report, commissioned by the Conference of University Heads in Ireland, is a virtual template for change across the university sector.

On this occasion, however, he was commissioned by DIT itself. DIT is one of the largest third-level institutions in the State, with over 20,000 full and part-time students, but its decade-long campaign for university status has still not achieved its aim. The campaign has been led by its president, Dr Brendan Goldsmith, who retires shortly.

Prof Skilbeck was a member of a review body that reported on its application for university status five years ago. He supported the application but it was rejected by the Higher Education Authority.

The Skilbeck report says the creation of universities at DIT and WIT would reflect the pressing need for more graduates as the State moves towards a still more highly-skilled and knowledge-based economy.

Prof Skilbeck dismissed the view that the incidence of "sub-degree " work in these colleges would undermine their claims to be regarded as a university. There are, he says, scores of well-regarded colleges in Northern Ireland and elsewhere where degree and non-degree work was taking place in the one campus.

I know WIT is mentioned above but there is another thread for that so unless you point on WIT has relevance to DIT then maybe it should go there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Will it make a difference if they become a Uni ? They are spread all over Dublin, would it at least get a proper campus ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

In about 7 years we will have only two campuses.

Southside at Aungier Street and northside at Grangegorman. Both are currently under development. the Aungier Street campus is pretty much near completion but they may decide to buy bishops square (between Aung St and Kev St) so that they can join Kev St and Aung St up a bit more.

Kevin Street need some serious renovation. The place is a dump. It depresses me to look at. Bolton St is cool so its a pity to lose that. Cathal Brugha is worse than Kevin st. A lot worse. Every time I step into the place I want to slit my wrists.

Grangegorman is really cool. Greenfields site out near Smithfield. This is the first time that DIT have had their own playing fields I think? They had the Northside Vs Southside rugby challenge their this year. I think some of the college teams train there now as well. its quite apt that they are building a DIT campus on the site of a former mental health unit.

Personally however, im a big fan of the modularity of DIT. last year i knew pretty much every first year in Aungier St in any course and about 50% of the other years up to fourth year. This year the place is to big and I know SFA people. I actually find the place kind of intimidating and hence I've been in SFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ahh well then isnt really just a matter of time until they have to give them Uni status?

What new powers do they get for that status? Or is it just more money

They will get it, the above article is pretty much the future. Whatever that guy says is what the government will do.

Yes, they will get more money. This shouldn't be an issue though. ITs should get the same level of funding as universities anyway. This would mean that they would be more competitive financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Might be just me but i prefer the atmosphere in kev st over aungier st. Every time i walk through it i feel like im in a hospital or somthing :).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dar
    Might be just me but i prefer the atmosphere in kev st over aungier st. Every time i walk through it i feel like im in a hospital or somthing :).

Are you that's not just this year? Last year it was cool.

The reason Kevin St depresses me is that everyone sits around smoking doob in the snackery all day. i like the odd bit myself now and then but I hate to see certain people who spend their lives at it (some people would define their personalties by it).

The snackery is always covered in rubbish and cigarette ash too. No cigarette ash in AST and we try to keep the rubbish down a little bit more. You have to eat there after all.

Have you been to Cathal Brugha St though? It is one of the most opressive (SP?) atmospheres i have ever been in. The staff in the canteen have a real hang up about the fact that the students are going to work in the same industry as them but that they will be much more highly qualified than them.

Advertisement