Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Firewire Drive Help!!!!!

Options
  • 15-05-2003 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Posted this in the Technology board 2 weks ago but didn't get much of a response, hoping for better luck in here:

External Firewire Drive Help!!!!!
    I hope this is the right board, but here goes:

I bought a 80gb external Firewire drive off komplett about 2 months ago for extra storage space for my laptop(Dell Inspiron 2650). Im using an Emagic USB2.0/Firewire combo PCMCIA card to connect firewire drive to the laptop again bought from komplett
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?act...&GrpID=11&s=pl.

Anyway onto the problem. Operating system is xp home. Drive is picked up straigh away in windows, say I take a folder and try and copy it onto the firewire drive(folder is about 500mb), after copying over approximately a third, the drive disappears from windows. I go to device manager and it is still there( but windows disables the device because of either error 10 or error 43). I reboot laptop and firewire drive is still not redetected, I have to pop out PCMCIA card and pop it back in and suddenly windows picks back up the firewire drive. I try the same thing and try and copy some data onto the firewire drive again and the exact same thing happens. So my first thought is that it must be a problem with firewire drive. I bring it into work, get Network administrator to connect it up to one of the servers and hes able to backup 40gb of data no problem onto drive. Get him to use my cable just in case its a problem with the firewire cable, again no problems copying to and from drive(operating sytems are windows 2000 server).

So next thought is that it must be PCMCIA card, bring that into work, connect it up to a 2000 laptop, connect up firewire drive, and yes it works perfectly again. So next step is I think that either the drive or PCMCIA card are not XP compatible. Back up everything onto CD, nuke the laptop hardisk at home and them install 2000. Same thing happens again, disappears from windows halfway through copying files. The thing is USB2.0 ports are working perfectly with devices attatched to them. So the only thing im left with is that it could be the PCMCIA port on the laptop, even though its working perfectly with the USB2.0 features on the card and a PCMCIA network card. I've also tested a bluetooth PCMCIA card and that works perfectly as well. I'm at my wits end here and have literally tried everything. At this stage I've put the Firewire drive up for sale on the ForSale boards. Has anyone got any other ideas of a way to solve this problem??????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Did a search for 'error 10' on the microsoft knowledge base, turned up something that might be of help...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813707

ho hum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

cheers that seems to be exactly the fix I need. Have you any idea how to get this fix, i've rang Microsoft 3 times as theres no link to download this fix, quoted the knowledge base article and all they keep offering me is service pack 1, I read out tbhe knowledge base article to them and they say where am I getting this from, I say from the online Microsoft Knowledge Base, sorry we have never heard of this. If someone could even point me through to the right deparetment at least i'll be grateful.

Advertisement