Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux v's NetSmart [TKO]

Options
  • 15-05-2003 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Just wanted to share my joy with the universe LOL...

I finally got linux to connect to EsatBT NetSmart with the cheap Lucent Winmodem in my PC. What I like about linux is that when something doesn't work, at least you can *see* it not working. Much as I like Windows at times, everything is invisible and almost unfixable - it either works or you're stuffed.

If it's of any use to others... the settings that worked for me on NetSmart are...
    [assuming your modem doesn't need drivers specially compiled for your kernel ;-) nice one]...

nb.1) I've used Vector Linux SOHO (based on Slackware 8.1, apparently) which has the KDE3.1 'KPPP' dialer:

nb.2) check that modem is working with KPPP's 'modem query' function.

dialup no. = 1421332103001236
    username & password = netsmart & netsmart
    (only works, of course, when your line is activated)
    authenication mode = PAP
    modem speed = (anything over 56K works for me - ie 56K modem)[Achieving 52K connection]
    set automatic / Dynamic IP address
    I set DNS servers listed for IOLfree:
    DNS1 = 194.145.128.1
    DNS2 = 194.145.128.2

and then it actually works. I'm still pinching myself that the first thing I compiled [namely the ltmodem driver] works perfectly!!! ...given the beautifully guided little setup prodding.

Happiness is.

Cheers all,
    Mr Abc.

Advertisement