Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netsource SOHO system through standard hub to 2 PC's

Options
  • 15-05-2003 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭

provided i dont run into any unusual problems will a netsource SOHO system run ok through an ethernet modem linked to a hub linked to 2 PC's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

yes but you need to route it out if you use only hub and not router... if you previously had dial up shared then its easy.. same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

what exactly is the difference between routing and sharing a dsl connection through a hub

efficiency maybe? A router for instance you could have at your socket.. it acts like a PC! No need for a PC near the socket. It assigns an IP address to each computer on the network and automatically gives it broadband!! You dont need a main computer to be on to have access on the other systems

the main pc doesn't have to be on, the modem and hub have power supplies of their own

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

it wont work unless you have some device to do network address translation. A router will do that, or some posher dsl modems. A hub won't. Make sure you dsl modem does nat'ting, or else you'll have to sort something else out. Lots of threads on this forum about this.
    Greg

• Advertisement

like saluman asked, we did share dial up on 2 machines (obviously not at the same time, 56k). so what your saying is the line to modem, modem to hub, hub to 2 pc's wont work. the dude in maplins sold me the stuff on the very basis it would.

sorry, just noticed the modem box says router on it. i take it this means everything is rosy

The modem box says router???? does it have ports on it for RJ45 network??? If so why did he sell you hub too?? Did he sell you a 10/100 hub or just a 10mbs hub? if the latter, the router might be 10/100 so better off using that and get rid of hub. What modem/router do you have?

Oh yeah and if it IS a router then you should be ok... no need to have the PC on but you will need to configure the router for your package... dont ask here.. look at the other threads about how to configure.

the hub is 10/100 Mbs. he sold it to me cos i want to connect to pc's to the router modem. it has ports for rj45 and USB, but i'll be using the rj45 obviously.

the router modem is made by eTBC. goes for €125 and the standard 5 port hub was €35. 2 network cards, €32.

€182 all in.( except cabling.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Absolutely no reason why this shouldnt work, if you were sharing dialup before, then just do the exact same with broadband, just share the BB connection thats all.

Worked for me for me for many happy months for BB i-stream usage.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

nice one ppl, thanks for your help, probably get esat bb now. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Deadduck,

you might want to think about getting a refund from Maplins...sounds like they were a little enthusiastic in selling you kit. I took back an modem/router combo and they tried to sell me a modem and a hub.

[They also told me that I shouldn't be able to get a fixed IP on broadband... I said I can , they said you can't I said My ISP assigns me the same IP address each time i re-connect through their DNS server... they said..oh.]

You can get an eTech modem/router (same as the modem you have) from www.marx-computers.com for 155. Have one at the mo - works a treat for 2 PCs, a laptop and an Xbox.

maybe i misunderstood, i have the eTEC modem/router combo but its got no hub built in so i bought one seperate. where's the problem?

Advertisement