Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FTV Cards and BBC going FTA

• 15-05-2003 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking that if and when BBC go FTA the new style FTV cards will be very handy little things. Once they have been married to a digibox, they will unlock all of the UK terrestials (plus the digital BBC's) on any box.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Digital BBCs won't need a card.

AFAIK any FTV cards "out there" arn't getting updated or turned off.
    They'll only be needed for ITV1s, C4 and Five.

ITV very very likely to follow BBC plan next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Yes, I know the digital BBCs wont need a card. The point that I am making is that if you put the FTV card into any box that you will get the UK terrestrials on the EPG and all of them will be viewable.

This will probably only work with new style FTV cards, or with the old style once a new style sub card has not been used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Found two related posts on DigiSpy, and worth repeating, I think :

1) A normal Sky Digibox will automatically re-tune to the new transponders once Sky amend their Network Information Table. This is expected to happen on 21st May for DSat1 services, and on 22nd May for DSat2 services.

At this point, viewers outside of the UK will lose all access to BBC services unless they can receive the Astra 2D satellite on their dishes

2) posted by sergeant121
    If the ITC's e-mail response to my question, "Is it true that Channel 5 will only be available to Sky subscribers when the BBC discontinue the FTV cards when they go FTA on satellite?" is anything to go by, there's nothing silly about it!
    quote:
    Viewers currently accessing Five on a free-to-view card, may in the future have to pay a small subscription fee. Nothing however appears to have been decided at present and discussions are ongoing. The ITC is monitoring the situation.

viewer.relations@itc.org.uk

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That email reply sounds interesting.

Could it happen that ITV, C4, and five will become part of the Family Pack (or lower sub) in UK? Or maybe that would only apply to anyone who doesn't already have a FTV Solus card!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

or at least it does for now....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Scotsguy

I have just phoned the number to order 3 FTV cards (I already have one for my Donegal setup). They are still issuing them but refuse to post them out without details of the STB. Looks like they are linking the card to the box first. Makes life difficult !

The guy I spoke to has no firm information as to the situation regarding FTV cards for non-BBC channels. Appears that the whole thing is up in the air at the moment. Quote" We only have responsibility for BBC"
    Hope this is of some interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Tell me, when one rings for three FTV cards, do you ring 3 times or just ask flat out for 3?

Secondly, I rang this afternoon to order a card for my friend. Her daughter's address is in the sticks of England and the postcode showed up as invalid on the helpdesk's system. I asked to speak to a manager and the tech refused, saying that the system info comes from the Royal Mail and his manager was on lunch. As I wasn't 100% sure the code was right I said I'd get onto 'my local Post Office' to see what was up.

This blokie did say that there was no panic, that they would be issuing FTV cards for at least 3 months. He said they do issue cards without sys info, but that if you don't give at first call time, you have to call back to activate. As I've only ordered a new Digibox, I don't have it's details yet, but would have liked to have card + box arrive at same time. Will ring again to check the satus of my blue FTV card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

If ordering 3 cards for same person then one call is fine - obviously not if you are using 3 different names an daddresses. :D

I ordered a FTV card without the box details but you do need to call again to get it activated Same difference really.

Still waiting for BBC1 so can't try swopping yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hurrah, got my replacement FTV card. ITV CH4 and CH5 were already activiated. However not the BBC channels so I rang the centre. I was asked for the serial No. and version No. and BBC1 was on before I had time to say thank you. I think this may be due to it being a replacement card rather than a new one.

Advertisement