Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Level Fees: Rich families to pay

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by Corben Dallas

-OT dont get me started on Doctors , dont kid yourself folks doctors dont contribute to irish society half as much as they should (services not tax) Doctors work hard @ uni and then they work v hard (for 5yrs) as Junior Doctors NCHD (Non Consultant Hospital Doctors) but once they've done this its easy street all the way...... eg u wont get a doctor sitting in Surgery on Sat (Local Gp), going rate is about 30-50 €'s to see them per visit and if yur unlucky that u have to get a Doc on call out .......the skys the limit. Once they have done their 5yr NCHD work they'll work half the hours u and I do per wk and get paid 3,4 or 5x times what u or i get.

Then again they take the risk of making life or death decisions and assuming all responsibility when things go wrong (or even right) and are the last line between you and the grave, so you bitch about 50 euro for a doctor visit. How much do you value your health? I guarantee that you waste more on non-essential things like alcohol. Is 50 quid too much to get you healthy or would you prefer to spend 2 grand on a holiday? Having fun, etc,? It's a job that helps people and it's cheaper to get that service then it is for the massive amounts people throw away on ****. Spent 700 quid on a TV and people bitch about 50 quid to get their kid looked at. However, given the attitudes of a lot, I have visions of pigs, hell, a cold day and flying all at once as to whether it will change.

Even though it's off topic - I think it's important as the population of Ireland has not really increased by 50% chunks yet there has been several hundred new consultant posts. However, people these days feel they should have everything and have it now and it should be for free or I'll sue! Goddamit! The problem with the healthcare in Ireland is increasing demands of a greedy public. Now *there's* somethign that it'll start a flame war!

Or have Irish people suddenly become more populous by the million and are sicker then ever compared to 20-30 years ago? Will anyone take this on? The health service has improved drastically but not in proportion to this newer, magically more *ill* population. Thoughts or a new thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by bonkey
    Indeed, if coming from the government, this would also possibly give them the ability to refuse people exit from the country until their debt to society had been paid off as required (contractual obligation).
    The EU would go gaga. I'd take them to court in Europe myself if they tried to limit freedom of movement. We even had a constitutional amendment to cover our asses on freedom of movement so we could keep a ban on abortion active remember? Banning them fom leaving the EU, now that's a different matter. Short flight to Heathrow as a jumping off point would sort that. Contract, schmontract, you're not allowed to sign away your rights like that. Not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by sceptre
    Contract, schmontract, you're not allowed to sign away your rights like that. Not going to happen.

Yup...and while people want the government to pay for a higher level of education than is covered by any definition of "the right to an education", and aren't likely to make any sacrifices for it, then that last sentence is just as accurate a description of the reality of the government continuing to foot the full bill for university costs.

Not going to happen.

And yet, every single thing they do is argued against on the grounds that "its not a right, but it should be".

All take and no give.

I'm guessing that the same people, if asked how the government will pay for this will come up with some blinding genius idea like "stop wasting money on other areas, and there's plenty to go around". Nice idea, but in practice, dont you think the government would have realised this already?

The simple truth is that the government cannot afford to continue these subsidies. There are three choices : stop funding it, hike taxes to make up the shortfall, or cutback in some other area.

Now, given that option 1 is what people are complaining about, I'm just wondering which of the other two options they think the government should be taking. If its the "cutbacks" one, then I'd honestly like to know what the government is spending a comparable amount of money on that you feel the nation can do without.

So - seriously - if people oppose this move, then suggest where the money will come from. Our economy is going down the toilet, and we've been forced to make cutbacks. This is one. If we dont cutback here, we need to do so elsewhere, or we need to increase taxes.

Which, where and how???

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by bonkey
    Our economy is going down the toilet, and we've been forced to make cutbacks. This is one. If we dont cutback here, we need to do so elsewhere, or we need to increase taxes.
    While I agree in principle in what you are saying here, that if there is no money in the kitty it can't be funded, surely it's neccessary for the government to make the unpopular decisions that actually completely reforms our public sector. Is there even one public service/sector that is performing satisfactorily. If not why do people continue to have to pay more and more into a system that shows no signs of improving (or even maintaining) the standard of living of the vast majority of the population.

Of course completely reforming such a system might cause them to look at themselves as well which is obviously not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bonkey,
    It says a lot about the economic situation that the government is buying new jets while slashing the education budget. So frankly, I don't see why we need to give up something so crucial as education while buying a new gulfstream for bertie while leaders of other, larger countries use commercial transport (usually their national airlines).

Originally posted by Sparks
    bonkey,
    It says a lot about the economic situation that the government is buying new jets while slashing the education budget. So frankly, I don't see why we need to give up something so crucial as education while buying a new gulfstream for bertie while leaders of other, larger countries use commercial transport (usually their national airlines).
    ah something to agee with Sparks on:eek: :)
    My local council go away two or three times a year,to some obscure conference or other, at the taxpayers expense.
    I sat in on a meeting recently, and the amount of nonsense that was being talked...was unreal,there was one councillor, no doubt , with the ink fresh on his expense sheet, snoring merrilly in the corner:rolleyes:
    Theres a perfectly good wide road between, the two towns beside me, all it needs, is a "pass-out lane" Australia syle with a ring road around the next town, yet, they are buliding 12 miles of dual carriageway instead.

An extreme tightening up of compensation laws would be helpfull also,diverting money otherwise squandered on unscrupulous claims to the Education budget.

Incidently, and as an aside, most of the money, used to upgrade and extend two schools here locally was raised locally,there was no point depending on the government.
    Maybe there should be parish or local funds , set up specifically for the purpose of raising funds for those that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to go to college.
    mm

Originally posted by Man

Incidently, and as an aside, most of the money, used to upgrade and extend two schools here locally was raised locally,there was no point depending on the government.
    Maybe there should be parish or local funds , set up specifically for the purpose of raising funds for those that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to go to college.
    mm

Indeed: I heard on the radio this evening that some parents group are setting up a gaelscoil in Limderick or someplace. I think that local funding is the best idea because at 1st and 2nd level in 99% of cases I would guess that kids go to school within 10 miles of home.

Forget about a federal EU - federalise Ireland! Locally elected councils and money with central poolling of a separate national tax would probably work better. It's sad that a single government can't run a country as small as this but on the other hand seeing as I use local roads more than say, ones to Berties house, I would be pro independence.

Now where's my confederate flag; it's time to start campaigning around Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I think it's perfectly fair.

Plus I don't honestly think the "wedge" is going to be reduced every year, Familys with over €100,000 should help to redistribute their good fortune.

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement

And Fianna Fail didn't lie at the last election. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by smiles

Plus I don't honestly think the "wedge" is going to be reduced every year, Familys with over €100,000 should help to redistribute their good fortune.

<< Fio >>
    Actually this interests me.
    If it's only ,students whose families income is over €100,000 or higher who have to pay-who is protesting at this?
    Prior to 1995, these people were well able to send their kids to college if they got a place or wanted to go.
    Indeed private schools aren't a problem either, the higher up the income bracket you go.
    Should the State pay for anyone to go to Blackrock college ( albeit with an extension of the buildings there ) ??

I would find it Gas,that students,who are going to have their fee's paid anyway( as the majority of parents are not in the "super-income" threshold ) end up campaigning for ,the kids of wealthy families to have free fee's.

Actually now that I think of it, thats a great concept and would represent a swing to the right :p
    Imagine, if the logic was transferred further,it should mean Mary Harney gets a medical card as does Michael Smurfitt...
    Not that the likes of the super wealthy would use it much, but it would cost the state a fortune in prescriptions as everyone would be entitled to it.
    Mind you, we'd probably come to the attention of the IMF:eek:
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

And Fianna Fail didn't lie at the last election. :rolleyes:

Consistently? About everything?

Why is it that once there is grounds to say "X has told lies" that someone will turn it around to somehow mean "X cannot be telling the truth, because X always lies".

jc

<< Fio >>

Devil's Advocate here, but aren't they contributing way more than the sub-100,000 category anyway? Income tax, etc., . No medical card. No college grants, all of that counts. The only difference is they choose to earn and spend money how they like. Why reward slackers - it's a generally free country (irony unintended). I would be in favour of the government loan system like the US uses. It would make people grow up and deal with the real world quicker.

The campaign for free fees like above - what does it really do? Yes you have the right to an education but where does it end? Are we going to end up with free phDs and Masters as well at a higher level again?

People who want a certain education can get it - and if they cannot afford that then a government loan would be appropriate. After all, where the hell does the money come from? Magic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

daveirl, a family that earns over €100,000 should pay fees.

Lets say they pay 42% tax, so they have €58,000 a year or €4,900 a month. They would pay around €3,000 on mortgage/loans and expensives/bills, leaving around €2000 a month disposable income. Putting aside €800 a month they could afford fees of around €10,000. (all figures approximate)

l3rian, spoken like someone that's never raised a family.

Your right, I havent. But I can do the figures.

The bottom line of around €2000 maybe generous, but I think this figure is the arguement.

What is your guesstimate of a €100,000 familys disposable income?

l3rian, spoken like someone that's never raised a family.
    just to add, I and another member of my family went to college, and had to pay full fee's and all the other costs associated without any grant what so ever.
    And thats with parents earning a lot less than €100,000 at the time.
    If you couldn't afford to send at least two kids to college on €100k plus, then theres something else wrong.
    mm

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My parents paid my college fees and I worked saturdays to get cash for spending money.

But I'd pay an extra 1% tax if it meant keep college fees out of the system. I hated the LC when I was doing it because its ruthlessly fair. However looking back its the only way.
    College was an option for me, for many with at least as good grades it wasnt and thats the first time the educational system was clearly unfair.

Ireland can only benefit from free education and so what if 5-10% of them leave, so what if 50% of them leave. We are done being a 3rd world country, we have to compete with the 1st world and that needs education cos we cant do sweatshops no more...

Think about the big picture for 2 seconds, think about someone other then yourselves.

DeV.

• Advertisement

just to add, I and another member of my family went to college, and had to pay full fee's and all the other costs associated without any grant what so ever.
    And thats with parents earning a lot less than €100,000 at the time.
    Ditto, but we could only afford for one of us to go to college at any one time, and that was only changed by the introduction of free fees.
    Mind you, back then our house was worth 30,000 pounds - nowadays it would go for 600,000.
    In other words, the economic circumstances from a decade ago don't apply any longer.

Look, it's like this - free fees did do some good. We have them. So why the hell would we give them up?
    The grant system needs reform? Yes, but that doens't need free fees to be abolished.
    Because it's unfair to the rest of us that the rich get in free? That's disingenous - it's a lot more unfair that those on middle incomes get shafted, because there are more of them.

l3ian,
    Try zero, or close to it. You have morgage payments, electric/gas/telephone/garbage/etc bills, food, clothes, car payments, petrol, supporting kids going through college, pension plan payments and very, very little left over. Think being able to go out for dinner every so often, or to the pub for a pint. You're not talking about exotic holidays three times a year! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Of course completely reforming such a system might cause them to look at themselves as well which is obviously not going to happen.

Well its not an easy thing to actually completely reform a system, especially a national one, whilst at the same time keeping it from breaking down in pure confusion. Whilst I agree reform is needed at a fundamental level its not something that can be done successfully over the course of a governments typical lifespan. Youd need widespread political support to actually begin, maintain and follow through on reform - and given the nature of the bitchy petty bickering where extremely few new ideas beyond spending more money are seriously considered its not going to happen. And thats even before the politicians confront the bureacrats and the unions with their no doubt extremely controversial reforms.
    My personal opinion is free fees for all or fees for all, I'm not too pushed either way but people should misrepresent the threshold as way more than it is.

I agree and disagree:)

On the one hand I agree because students are (almost?) all legally adults and thus youd think theyd be viewed independantly of their parents - so you would have the free fees for all or none.

On the other hand very few students are independant of their parents - even those living away from home are often having their bills paid by their parents to a large degree. When you accept that then you cant say students should be treated one and all by the government. as parents from different backgrounds are going to be able to support their children different and it would be extremely wasteful for the government to spend money on students who are perfectly capable of paying their own way.

In my opinion the government should stop free fees for courses which are economically useless - like ancient history for example - regardless of any other factors, stop free fees for students of wealthy families who are capable of paying for their kids education fairly easily - but offer the option of a government loan to be paid back only at the rate of inflation within say 10 years or whatever to those students who wish to stand on their own two feet.

Free fees arent actually free. *Someone* is paying for them - it should be the people gaining the most direct benefit wherever possible. Free fees are only useful where it helps Ireland to increase its knowledge base to make it a more attractive option for foreign investment. Thats it, the only reason the government should be interfering in 3rd level education as far as I can see.

Was also listening to Colin (? ) Jordan on the radio today, the students che guerva - the guys a riot, apparently cant be held responsible for what students do if fees are reintroduced . What are they going to do? Strike:D? Protest on the streets - a new and fresh approach to student issues:)?

Sparks, I dont think zero is a realistic figure.

And why do you support your kids going thru' college? Have they ever heard of part-time jobs?

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    Devil's Advocate here, but aren't they contributing way more than the sub-100,000 category anyway? Income tax, etc., . No medical card. No college grants, all of that counts. The only difference is they choose to earn and spend money how they like. Why reward slackers - it's a generally free country (irony unintended). I would be in favour of the government loan system like the US uses. It would make people grow up and deal with the real world quicker.

Right the way I see it the idea of Free fees is to encourage people into the education system and get rid of income limiting people from going to college, familys earning over 100,000 do not face these problems and I think it is only fair that they have to pay for themselves, free fees should be there for people who need them.

It's not a case of rewarding slackers, the kids have never had a chance and you cannot judge them based on the fact their families are unlucky, disabled, etc. and yes there will be some slackers but you get the good with the bad.

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by Man

If you couldn't afford to send at least two kids to college on €100k plus, then theres something else wrong.
    mm

Exactly, but people want 50,000 euro cars and 300 grand houses in south dublin, pay 5 quid for a pint and aren't willing to put the effort in to find what they want somewhere where they can afford all of it. It's greed IMHO.

Right the way I see it the idea of Free fees is to encourage people into the education system and get rid of income limiting people from going to college, familys earning over 100,000 do not face these problems and I think it is only fair that they have to pay for themselves, free fees should be there for people who need them.
    << Fio >>

Yes I know, but what about the reports last year and before showing how many students at even 2nd level were not bothering studying so they could work parttime to go drinking, etc., ? Those were all over the papers in 2001 and 2002. That's undeniable - and then they **** up the LC, but get another free ride until they are 22 or so - and then with some degree or diploma that basically doesn't guarantee money or a job unless they thought about it carefully - but chances are they didn't if they were faffing about earlier.

So how about this:
    Bring back fees, but increase the amount of scholarships by a very large proportion. 2nd level is free generally. So reward those who do best in the LC - who committed to studying harder. Yes I know someone will bring up grind schools; make them tax deductable.

So if you show you are committed to studying purposefully, you get one of a much increased number of one-off single degree scholarships. Therefore it's not based on income - it's based on educational committment.

Or another way: have free fees for the first year of college, with anyone allowed to go into any speciality - be it arts, science, medicine, whatever. Have a bastard hard 1st year exam, one to see who is really committed to staying in college for a further 3-5 years, and have them compete for scholarships for the rest of the degree or diploma. Then the ones who are not going to use the opportunity (and I suspect that is quite a lot given failure rates per year and drop outs) would not be draining the system of much needed cash.

Not income based. Not family-wealth-connections-whatever based. Just on whether you DESERVE fee support from the government or not. Scale the scholarships to different levels - those doing say higher level, or ordinary level or whatever they are these days. So say you are not a 550+ pointer. Lets say you want to do a course on something that's 400 points. No bull**** - you study, you get into first year, free fees. Then you have to show you mean business and work your ass off to get to 2nd year/compete for scholarships (much increased numbers of these). Would this work? I am not trolling here - I just thought it was a new way that hadn't been mentioned yet; I believe in rewarding a harder worker - wouldn't this work better than a blanket 100,000 or whatever it may be cut-off or grade. It removes all means testing and unfair situations whereby a student may be say refused funding by parents, etc., . Make them scholarships - emphasise the studying. THat would promote a much higher skilled workforce, no?

people want 50,000 euro cars and 300 grand houses in south dublin, pay 5 quid for a pint and aren't willing to put the effort in to find what they want somewhere where they can afford all of it. It's greed IMHO.
    And where do you propose we go to buy a car or a house or a pint? Houses sell for prices from 250,000. Cars from around 15,000. We don't get to say "well, I'll pay 25,000 for the house, and I want the car for 3,000". The only other option is to emigrate - and in case you've not noticed, that's bad for the economy.
    Yes I know, but what about the reports last year and before showing how many students at even 2nd level were not bothering studying so they could work parttime to go drinking, etc., ?
    That's one of the consequences of not paying teachers top dollar - you lose a lot of possible teachers because intelligent people at age 18 look at the stress/workload to pay comparison and decide that teaching is not a viable option - the end result being that with a few exceptions (people with a true vocation), you don't get high-quality teachers, and the next batch of students are worse than the last. It's a vicious cycle too :(
    Those were all over the papers in 2001 and 2002. That's undeniable - and then they **** up the LC, but get another free ride until they are 22 or so - and then with some degree or diploma that basically doesn't guarantee money or a job unless they thought about it carefully - but chances are they didn't if they were faffing about earlier.
    Restructuring grants and reintroducing fees won't help here. The problem that you're talking about is with primary and secondary education (secondary in particular). The only way to fix those problems is reform of the primary and secondary educational systems and increasing both teachers pay and teaching standards. Trying to fix the problem by messing with the fees system for college is like trying to fix the problem of sugar in the gas tank of a car by mucking about with the exhaust system.
    <snip>
    Would this work?
    The problem is that exams are well-known as a bad means for measuring a students ability, conviction or actual vocation. All an exam measures is how well the student sits an exam on that particular day. Plus, from the inside of teaching college courses, those exams are not as formalised as they need to be and there is no effective pressure on colleges to change that, or to review their courses. The computer engineering course in TCD for example, has been in dire need of a comprehensive review of how the entire four-year course is structured and taught for nearly a decade now, and there is absolutely no sign of that ever happening.
    So I'd be strongly opposed to college exams being used for the purpose of deciding on funding, because of how they are set up and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

And where do you propose we go to buy a car or a house or a pint? Houses sell for prices from 250,000. Cars from around 15,000. We don't get to say "well, I'll pay 25,000 for the house, and I want the car for 3,000".
    It's perfectly possible to buy a serviceable used car for €3,000. And if you can't afford that, there's public transport. If you can't afford to pay a €250k mortgage (I know I can't), you can rent accommodation for less than a €250k mortgage would cost. If you can't afford the rent, the Health Board will give you Rent Allowance money. You're not "entitled" to own a new car or buy your own house or go to college at the taxpayer's expense. All these things are privileges, not rights.

So I'd be strongly opposed to college exams being used for the purpose of deciding on funding, because of how they are set up and run.

So instead we should have free fees for everyone bar those who worked harder/more to get more money, and have a situation where when free fees came in everyone said great and did IT. And now because of greedy choices (i.e., I want to be *earning* a hundred grand at 24 and other madness) unemployment and immigration are going to prob go up.

So do you think people all made good choices when it was free for all?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    Yes I know, but what about the reports last year and before showing how many students at even 2nd level were not bothering studying so they could work parttime to go drinking, etc., ? Those were all over the papers in 2001 and 2002. That's undeniable - and then they **** up the LC, but get another free ride until they are 22 or so - and then with some degree or diploma that basically doesn't guarantee money or a job unless they thought about it carefully - but chances are they didn't if they were faffing about earlier.

Well then that's their loss.
    So how about this:
    Bring back fees, but increase the amount of scholarships by a very large proportion. 2nd level is free generally. So reward those who do best in the LC - who committed to studying harder. Yes I know someone will bring up grind schools; make them tax deductable.

Making Grind Schools tax deductable? What point would that serve?

You're helping people who are naturally gifted, some people can do fúck all work and still come out tops in the marks.

What about the kids who go home every night to a house where they have to share a room with two little kids, they can't study after 8pm because their siblings are asleep... your method favours those who are lucky enough to have a good place to study and those who are rich enough to pay for the kids to go to grind schools. Fair enough to have some rewards, but to base an entire education funding scheme upon it is a terrible idea.
    Or another way: have free fees for the first year of college, with anyone allowed to go into any speciality - be it arts, science, medicine, whatever. Have a bastard hard 1st year exam, one to see who is really committed to staying in college for a further 3-5 years, and have them compete for scholarships for the rest of the degree or diploma. Then the ones who are not going to use the opportunity (and I suspect that is quite a lot given failure rates per year and drop outs) would not be draining the system of much needed cash.

And where would the funding go when there will be **** all people in the next few years of college, you'd actually be causing problems because there are certain cut off points, if there are 20 people or 200 people in some course, the cost of running the course will still be the same, the lecturers, the theatre halls, etc. all have to be paid for regardless of the number.
    Not income based. Not family-wealth-connections-whatever based. Just on whether you DESERVE fee support from the government or not.

Why not? Surely those who are able to afford to pay, especially those who have already paid for their kids to go to private schools, if they can do that then surely they can't complain if they have to continue to do so.
    Scale the scholarships to different levels - those doing say higher level, or ordinary level or whatever they are these days. So say you are not a 550+ pointer. Lets say you want to do a course on something that's 400 points. No bull**** - you study, you get into first year, free fees. Then you have to show you mean business and work your ass off to get to 2nd year/compete for scholarships (much increased numbers of these). Would this work? I am not trolling here - I just thought it was a new way that hadn't been mentioned yet; I believe in rewarding a harder worker - wouldn't this work better than a blanket 100,000 or whatever it may be cut-off or grade. It removes all means testing and unfair situations whereby a student may be say refused funding by parents, etc., . Make them scholarships - emphasise the studying. THat would promote a much higher skilled workforce, no?

If a student is refused funding by their parents they can take it up with various different education authorities and arrangements can be reached, and somehow I doubt that this would happen in very many, if any, cases.

You're idea is theoretically a good one, but there are still problems with it, the exams for every course will be different, you will encourage people to do courses which will not challenge them because they are afraid that if they do the ones which challenge them then they won't get free fees, and surely you don't want people who simply do a course because this is the only way they are sure they will get a scholarship, in fact you'd be encouraging a workforce thats afraid to be challenged.

<< Fio >>

Advertisement