Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micheal Schumacher

• 15-05-2003 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

At 99million a year and no tax to pay hes the highest paid sports man in the world.
    I hope he wins the season again this year so that he'll have broken nearly all of the important records .
    What are your views on the greatest driver of all time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

He is undoubtedly the most complete driver on the track; with his concentration in the cockpit, technical knowhow, car handling (both on wet and dry tarmac) and "out and out take no prisoners" attitude is second to none. After breaking his leg there was talk of him quittinbg the F1 scene but he came back and took two pole positions out of two. I can't personally remember a driver as complete as him other than Ayrton Senna. They are both chips off the same block.

Although he has his critics (here on boards as well :) ) he usually goes and proves them wrong anyway. I know team orders have turned alot of F1 fans against him and Ferrari but even last year he showed that even without the help he got in Austria he still went and wrapped up the championship before it ended;)

The only "rare" factor of his performances that would cause concern is his tendency to lose concentration when he is leading the race by a comfortable margin - like we saw at the wet Indianapolis race a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by jonno
    "out and out take no prisoners" attitude is second to none.

Unfortunately that ended when he married and had kids...(life)priority changes. imo, hes not as evil as he should be or used to be.
    Originally posted by jonno
    The only "rare" factor of his performances that would cause concern is his tendency to lose concentration when he is leading the race by a comfortable margin - like we saw at the wet Indianapolis race a few years ago.

He did it Monaco too but thats no his weakest link lately but rather the amount of mistakes he makes over a weekend and Schumacher has never been great under pressure with Suzuka 2000 being the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spock

I was at a Murray Walker dinner and he said we are all lucky to be alive and watching the sport during Micheals reige as he is the best of all time and its unlikey anyone will top him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Bah its horrible to admit but he is the best F1 driver, its a damn shame that isn't one or two more Schumachers in the sport to mix things up a bit, come on Kimi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by daveirl
    I'd prefer to watch races with less talented drivers if it meant it was more exciting tbh

Then watch champ car :) You certainly wont notice a speed difference..actually F1 [from a tv viewers perspective] looked dangerously fast in the early 90's and looks a lot slower now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

99 million a year ! What currency is that ?

This weeks Autoexpress has him on STG£22M p/a with word that he makes as much again in advertising and endorsements.

He is my god !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the only thing about schumi is that he hasnt raced raced against a lot of champs in a given season.

the likes of senna and prost won championships against other championship verterans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

F3000 is usually quiet exicting to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

British Touring Cars is good too.

Schumacher has raced against Senna, hill, Hakanin. Although if you look at the track atm, the only champions are Schumacher and Vill.
    TIME did a special on schumacher, £99million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Spock
    At 99million a year and no tax to pay hes the highest paid sports man in the world.
    AFAIK, he pays tax at a flat rate of $1 million a year to the Austrian government.

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

As much as it galls me to admit it, (I'm obviously not a big fan) he is the best F1 driver, he always pulls it out of the bag. It just sickens me to hear the commentators falling over each other to praise him! His talent is unquestionable but the sport has becoming a wee bit boring partly due to his supremacy. I've no doubt it's a time in the sport that will go down in history, he's beaten a lot of Senna's records and will surely gain more before he's done. I'll be telling my great grandkids about it, but I won't like it :D

I think the sport has gotten more exciting since he began to reign, i find it fasinating to watch someone of such skill, its like watching Bruce Lee kick ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I agree he is the best driver out there today in the current batch of drivers but its very harsh to say that he is the best driver of all time.

My heart still tells me that Ayrton Senna was the best driver of all time....
    but in fairness schumacher is soooo knowledgeable on the technical aspects of an f1 car...he is the ultimate master of car setups.

Personally Id like to see how Schumacher would do in either the current Williams or Renault....or in general ghow he would handle a car on michelan tyres.

Originally posted by Washout
    Personally Id like to see how Schumacher would do in either the current Williams or Renault

yap yap fuking yap...
    You have already been shown what he can do in inferior equipment when he jumped into Ferraris F1 Truck for the 96 season and made that truck a winner (or sorts) and a certain Spanish GP only displayed who is king.

97,98 & 99 are not as extreme, but Schumacher was still in the inferior car.

i truely think hes the best of all time and it will be a sad day when he leaved the sport

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by Spock
    i truely think hes the best of all time and it will be a sad day when he leaved the sport

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Ciaran

The £99m is including all the sponsorships and stuff right?

I think he's on a par with Senna but as with all such things we'll never know, 1994 would've been great though. :(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ciaran
    The £99m is including all the sponsorships and stuff right?

I think he's on a par with Senna but as with all such things we'll never know, 1994 would've been great though. :(

I dont think so. The Willaims quickly evolved passed the Benne into the best car on the grid. The fact that Damon Hill was racing Schumacher for the championship is proof of this and had no difficulty keeping pace with him in Adelade when the Willaims was a vastly superior car.

Schumacher would have given Senna a good run during the first half of the season but that is only due to Senna poor start to the season and the Benne initially being a quick car.

imo and all bull**** really. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Its like comparing oranges and apples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

can't stand him, though i'll admit he may be the best driver out there at the moment, however he's struggling this season and theres new talent coming through.

I consider ferrari/schumacher the man utd. of formula one, you either love em or hate em. I do be praying he'll crash, engine blow etc.

go on the kimi

Advertisement