Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And your favourite captain is?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

god this one was dug out of the archives :) i think we have an overwhelming victory though. However there is some suprising results. I hope for sisko in second place though i'm surprised at how well janeway did and how poor kirk did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Janeway is judged way too harshly. She was a newbie captain assigned to a "supposedly easy mission on a small little ship" who was forced to learn the ropes very quickly during her time in the Delta quadrant. For the first 2 seasons her incompetence really showed as she made questionable negotiations with alien species and patronized the crew.

Over the course of the show though her character developed into the competent captain we saw in the later series (before season 7 when she became totally overbearing). Development is what I like to see in a character, not a ready-made "perfect character".

Oh and Kirk was a frikking slease.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Ah but when you think about it the intrepid class ships were technologically advanced and had quantum torpedoes, neural gel packs etc. . Sticking any old captain on that ship wouldn't do any good. Plus she gambled with the crew's lives way too much. She's a village idiot if you ask me

It didn't have quantum torpedoes, just phasers and photons. It also had a crew of just 150 and was meant for short easy missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Kirk is the man - Summed up in three words:

"Flying Drop Kick".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Sisko was the man, had a life outside of his job

all the rest were a little bit sad, living for their jobs, Picards best friend was Data!, and all of Kirks relationships seemed to self destruct, don't care about the other two, they're boring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

"I don't like to lose"
    *bites into his apple*

Kirk by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Data wasnt Picards best freind.....Riker was picards best freind

Data had Geordi as a best freind and picard as a mentor in human ways

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sisko - you do NOT fcuk with Sisko. I may have not liked him first season but since this is a favourite captain poll, it doesn't matter as he wasn't a captain for Season One :) But Picard's my second fave.

But the real question is - who the HELL voted for Archer?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Data was definetly Picards best friend, his closest companion on the ship .... not saying Riker wasn't a friend.

• Advertisement

Data had ten times more personality than Riker. All Riker could do was play poker and tell bad jokes. Riker used to just suck up to Picard like a good subserviant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

No no no. Picard's best friend on the ship was Guinen (sp?), by a mile. And now that I think of it, Data probably was a closer friend of Picard than Riker was.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Data had ten times more personality than Riker. All Riker could do was play poker and tell bad jokes. Riker used to just suck up to Picard like a good subserviant.
    Eh he could play the saxaphone! Sheesh how could you forget an important character building point like that :rolleyes:

i must agree somewhat with both points of view, geordi and data where by far best friends especially in the early days of TNG, whilest at this time i would have thought that picard and riker just had a good working relationship. also in this time picard was more of a mentor to data then anything else, however over the course of time picard and datas friendship evolved until you have it to the state of play it was at in first contact and then in nemesis. saying that i still think that riker was a good friend of picard all through the time also

however how come no ones considering Dr. Crusher?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    however how come no ones considering Dr. Crusher?
    I think thats a sensitive topic.

Crusher! are you f-ing mad ....she was captian for 2 hours of screen time (and a crap one at that) managed to get the ship destroyed and nearly start a war with the powerful klingon empirer + she was "captian" of a hosptial ship for god sake thats not even a real captian lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Picard, without a doubt, simply the best captain ever. Kirk's my second favorite, I just can't help but have a soft spot for the auld lad, having been brought up watching TOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Janeway, cause I could not imagine bedding any of the others.

Yes Katherina warp speed it is my luv.

Originally posted by bizmark
    Crusher! are you f-ing mad ....she was captian for 2 hours of screen time (and a crap one at that) managed to get the ship destroyed and nearly start a war with the powerful klingon empirer + she was "captian" of a hosptial ship for god sake thats not even a real captian lol :p

nah i mean as one of his best friends

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    nah i mean as one of his best friends

And hence I repeat I think thats a sensitive topic.

• Advertisement

aye comment was directed towards bizmark, don't think its a sensitive topic i though i think they have got over a lot of there 'issues' and that they have a good friendship

im totaly confused what are ye talking about

well your where saying crusher was a crap captain. but i mentioned crusher when we where talking about who was picards best friend and i was wondering why no one mentioned crusher.

i dont think they where best friends...just that they wanted to "do" things with each other

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Janeway - that voice - could only watch voyage when there were Borg..
    Cisco - another voice problem - punctuated delivery, Shakeperian actors can do SicFi but not apparently the other way around.
    Kirk - thinks the prime directive is a directive to prime weapons ..
    Archer - still undecided
    Picard - If only he'd respected the prime directive when Wesley tripped over the flower bed...

So despite an unforgivable crime it's Picard.

Picard - If only he'd respected the prime directive when Wesley tripped over the flower bed...

lol class

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Its so hard to pick a faverate captin.
    I would loved to see more of the mirror univerce Kirk

I cant actually pick a faverate main captin s
    o not including them i might go for

Worf - suicidal warrior "Then perharps 2day is a good day to die prepere for ramming speed"

The Gemhadar 3rd (1st and 2nd where dead so he was captin) "Our Death is Glory to the founders"

I liked Captin/General Chang

Picard was very good in the Episode "Yesterdays Enterprise" - the 1 where the Enterprise C came into the future and alterd history.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Originally posted by bizmark

You could also count her as captin when she commanded the enterprise in part 2 of Decent - but that wasent great either

Advertisement