Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox

Options
  • 15-05-2003 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

i was wondering about the xbox is good or just a piece of crap. I am going to use it for gaming. If anybody has one give me info about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you'd be better off waiting until around crimbo time to get one.
    there should be some decent games coming out then (about time:rolleyes: )
    doom 3, hl2, halo 2...

don't bother getting one if you don't like fps's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

if you like bland american sports games and low quality action games you will be in heaven.

the only way i could justify getting one would be to chip it and load that nice hd with roms then get emulating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

coop halo is a thing of beauty tho, i wasn't too fond of the ugly black box until i had a good session of that.

the new transparent green xbox looks pretty slick too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

There are a few really good games, but I've found they tend to be either really good or really bad and an awful lot of games tend to be direct ports from PS2 with no enhancements. despite the machines superior capabilities. This means that in most cases of multi-format games, youre as well off with a PS2.

Halo
    Morrowind
    Splinter Cell
    Silent Hill 2
    Fatal Frame
    Time Splitters 2
    Rallisport Challange
    Unreal Championship
    and Metal Ger Solid 2

are all worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

thanks for the comments lads..i just thinking of buying one due to the price its fallen to 175 euro..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spock

buy it, buy it.
    I did and its the best decision i ever made, havent played my PS2 since

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

thanks for the great feedback if any body has a comment to say about the xbox post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Tbh i bought one last november,iv got 7 games and im trying to sell it,it's not that i dont like it it's just that i spend more time at my pc,and never get to use the xbox, got, halo,splinter cell,amped,dead or alive 3,project gotham racing,jet set radio future , sega gt 2003 , all good games tho. imo if you already own a pc you wont use the x-box much.

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Combatcow
    if you already own a pc you wont use the x-box much.

Maybe im just an exception to this rule...?
    I only use my PC for racing sims, then "genuine" ones cus im kinda snobby about those.

I mean, all these consoles are @ such cheap prices that owning 2 is not really a stretch with the games being the only expensive part but with the serious lack of AAA titles that has not been an issue either.

There are some fantastic games available for it and recently i have being discovering the joy of Halo multiplayer..wow!

Xbox live looks a pretty neat package..ahh its all good

PS2 is most certainly the 1st choice (cmon tombraider!) but it really is no difference between Xbox and NGC.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Maybe im just an exception to this rule...?
    I only use my PC for racing sims, then "genuine" ones cus im kinda snobby about those.

The thing is most of the games available on Xbox are also available on PC.

However the PC versions are usually EUR 20 cheaper, go down in price quicker and if you have a good PC then they generally have much better graphics on PC then Xbox.

Plus with the PC versions of games you get the benefit of mods, etc.

Nobody in their right mind would buy the Xbox versions of Doom 3 and HL2 over the PC versions.

Consoles are good for more social games like beat-em ups, etc. But the PS2 is way better for these type of games then Xbox and the NGC has the most fun, original games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Nobody in their right mind would buy the Xbox versions of Doom 3 and HL2 over the PC versions.

Dunno about that. I agree that PC games are cheaper and sometimes have better graphics. However, I find that the convenience of a console wins the day for me. I buy a game for my xbox or GC rather than my PC, when i put it in the console I know

a) it is going to work and I don't have to worry that the game will not install properly.

b) the game is optimised for my controller. With the PC with so many different controllers, some games have more functions than buttons on the controller!!

c) i simply switch on the console and the game runs. No waiting for the PC to boot, d-clicking the icon, no random PC crashing.

Overall, I just think consoles are more stable than Pc's. In fairness its what they are designed to do. A PC is primarily designed for crunching numbers and typing rather than for games.

My tuppence worth
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

YEah, I've always figured PC for work, surfing and CM4.

If I want action/console-type games, get a console.

Consoles are designed for games playing, PC's aren't so it stands to reason the console games playing experience is usually better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I have an x box and have been very happy with it todate, I
    also own a PC , and its true that the x box is very convienent
    the games are getting better and co- operative Halo is really really good,

I also like Mortal Kombat deadly alliance, and Dead or Alive three
    you just cannot get good beat em ups for the Pc and DOA3 is reputed to be the best beat em up across any format
    for the price the x box is at now it is to mind very good value
    and I would recommend it, my friend bought one of the new special edition green ones and they are cool!
    Also splinter cell is very good on the x box I prefer it to the pc version

For me the biggest advantage a PS2 has over the x box and personally for me the only advantage is that you can rent the games very easliy in your local video store , I know of only one place the rents x box games

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But if Half Life only ever came out on a console, then the sublime Counter Strike or many other great mods would never have been created.

In my opinion the small few hassles with PCs are well worth it for all the other extra advantages of a great community and online gaming with more then just Halo.

Plus keyboard and mouse is by far the best control interface for FPS games, the joypad doesn't even come close. If your left hand isn't permenantly deformed into the awd position, then you're not a real gamer :D

BTW you are all whimps :p you won't even wait a minute for the PC to start up and install a game. I remember waiting 30 minutes to load just one level from a tape on my ZX Spectrum and even wrote my own games ww)

You MTV generation have such a short attention span ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I did and its the best decision i ever made, havent played my PS2 since

Neither have I! Its pretty good all right, and far better value.

No need for a 40 euro memory card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All it is is a dvd and halo playing machine. Any other good games are available for the PS2 or Cube. Definitely not worth ur money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

had a nintendo, super nintendo, then dreamcast(still have it) and now xbox and gc (have a gba sp also).

And of the three new ones, it's the xbox and gba i play the most. Halo/Panzer/Timesplitters/DoA3 etc.

Take that as you will, but I was die hard nintendo person and now I play the xbox mostly (tho metroid prime is great).

Advertisement