Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request new board - Scubadiving

Options
  • 15-05-2003 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Any chance we could have a scubadiving board (in the sports section).

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Yeah cuz EVERYONE goes scubadiving :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Not everyone plays/has interest in Athletics/Fishing/extreme sports/Gaa/football/motorsports/wrestling/self defence/soccer but we have a boards for them all....

Why not scubadiving. Could be used as a reference for folks who want to take up the sport (I've been diving for about 6 years so I'd be willing to give advice and such).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Heh heh........ another one of those damned trolls!!:eek:
    Now now boys........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I scuba-dive :)

So thats an ok from me. I am particularly interested in :
    • Diving in Ireland
    • Getting my Rescue Diver (€500 from Great Outdoors including Medic First Response)
    • Getting some second-hand equipment
    • Trips away for the weekend - Theres a couple of people I know who would also be interested in this.
    • Co-moding this forum as its of particular interest to me. I would also nominate Daveg should it go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm a diver too, I'd like to see something like that.

Thumbs up. No, wait, that's not the OK signal...

• Advertisement

I'm qualified to advance diver stage. Looking to do my rescue diver too EvilPhil. I would have done it earlier but my diving buddy fúcked off to Cuba to do his rescue/medic/dive master & instructor. The lucky bástard.
    Trips away for the weekend - Theres a couple of people I know who would also be interested in this

Excellent idea. Perhaps we could mix a boards beer with a diving weekend.... oh hang on.... Bad previous experiences with Whiskey and diving...
    Co-moding this forum as its of particular interest to me. I would also nominate Daveg should it go ahead.

I'd be willing to Mod with Evil Phil. I ran the Nortel diving club (Galway) for 3 years so I've worked up some good contacts in the diving business (esp scubadive west in Killary - West of Ireland) so I'd be willing to enquire/setup these links again for dive days/weekends ect.

Also any newbies interested in learning how to dive could be helped/pointed in the right direction.

Have I sold this enough yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I'd be interested in this aswell. And I know a few others that would, JayK, Snaga, Ronin.

.logic.

TBH what I meant was here are the 3 people who scuba on boards. Hardly worth its own forum is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by [-UK-]Wolf
    TBH what I meant was here are the 3 people who scuba on boards. Hardly worth its own forum is it ?

Umm how do you know there are only 3 on boards that dive? Diving is a very big past time in Ireland and I'm sur ethere's quite a few on here that do it regularly.

.logic.

Originally posted by [-UK-]Wolf

With 55 views on this thread we already have 7 folks interested. I wouldn't just view this as a forum for people who dive but also a resource for people who are interested in learning how/about diving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont scuba dive but i have always wanted to give it a go.. every time i go away i mean to go diving but never get the chance due to other stuff so im always dissapointed.. i know Ireland does not have clear water or anything but i think we have some of the most interesting diving spots in Europe.. at least i heard that!!
    So go for it!! At the very least a forum on watersports in general might be a good idea!

Offroadannie would be another interested party. Maybe we could set up a gear pool if there's enough spare pieces lying around ...

And maybe we could have an anonymous logon like the Personal Issues board so johnny foreigner and his mates can ask questions about diving in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Big Ok from me. Also a diver - and I'm looking to get back in the water, so buddy lists would make some sense here...

Originally posted by Saruman
    I dont scuba dive but i have always wanted to give it a go.. every time i go away i mean to go diving but never get the chance due to other stuff so im always dissapointed.. i know Ireland does not have clear water or anything but i think we have some of the most interesting diving spots in Europe.. at least i heard that!!
    So go for it!! At the very least a forum on watersports in general might be a good idea!

This may surprise you bit Ireland is generally viewed as having one of the best cold (and I mean COLD) water dives in the World.
    I have dived in a good few sites in the west (and in the south) and I find the diving to be excellent.

I've also dived twice in florida. Don't get me started...

OK. I should point out here that I have been diving a few times and really enjoy it. I guess I might have been wrong.

Try selling the idea to devore and see what he says I guess, but, I wouldnt hold my breath ( pun :p ).

Anyway best of luck with it and if it gets going I wouldnt mind going down some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by daveg
    This may surprise you bit Ireland is generally viewed as having one of the best cold (and I mean COLD) water dives in the World.
    I have dived in a good few sites in the west (and in the south) and I find the diving to be excellent.

I've also dived twice in florida. Don't get me started...

Diving board would be great

I know what you mean about the west. I was at Scubadivewests
    last year. Had amazong weather and really good vis

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

I heartily endorse this product and would also nominate sir daveg as mod. :D

How about it DeVore, will you give us the board?!

*Pretty please*

How about it DeVore, will you give us the board?!

Please.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

i went divin a few times in spain and (costa del sol) ive to say its the most fun youll ever have!! i encourage everyone to try it once and i support this board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Maybe Extreme Sports could be renamed to Extreme/Alternative Sports.

I'm sure it could take the traffic generated by scuba diving threads and if not then the forum could be created.

Any decisions guy's ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sounds like there is interest. I'm concerned about "advice" being given out. I dont want people getting advice about o2 mixes and then we get sued when they use CO2 instead.

Other then that there seems to be an interest in it. I'd have thought Evil Phil would have suggested a Climbing board first ... :)

DeV.

Sounds like there is interest. I'm concerned about "advice" being given out. I dont want people getting advice about o2 mixes and then we get sued when they use CO2 instead.

when I said advice I meant "where can I learn to dive". "What courses do I need to do". "How much will it cost". "What equipment might I need to buy" ect ect ect....

I wouldn't give out advice I wasn't 100% sure about.

Thanks.

Climbing forum eh? Something like the ones moderated by this guy??

Dave is right, we would only give advice that we are qualified to give (PADI Qualified that is). Otherwise we can point people in the right direction.

Go on DeVore, give us the board.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

errr.... /me kinda points towards the Sports nav...

you mean... like that one?

DeV.

Would it be possible to make 2 of the new threads (this & this) as sticky's ? Or if you make me mod I'll do it ;) :ninja:

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Cloud Interference:

Scubadiving -> Scuba Diving

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

SCUBA Forum. Good idea.

Yep, got my vote.

PADI Rescue Diver here (sounds good, but it's a recreational qualification, not a professional one!) I did the next one (Divemaster) too, even with a 6 week internship at a Dive Centre, but failed 2 of the exams and didn't bother to re-take them because I was busy going out and getting drunk with mates (was living in Tenerife at the time).

But anyway, a Forum would be great, there's a lot of good places to dive in Ireland and I'm sure there's a few divers on these boards that could give advise to newbies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement