Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another rip off.....

Options
  • 15-05-2003 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just my 2 pennys worth. I really fail to see why anyone should go down the .ie route. Lets face it, joe on the street doesnt have a goddam clue what ie means anyway.

I recently did a job for a friend, 2 years .biz reg and 50 meg full access hosting on netweaver.co.uk for around 70 quid.

Compare that to a .ie reg and hosting here ..........

The reason the IEDR charge so much is because people pay it. Lets face it, if this was an american thread, the posts would read "Price increase, go elswhere !"

Its time we voted with our pockets, then this "Grab all you can while we are in office" government might just cop them selves on...doubtful though.

They are too busy flying to the US on €7,000 business class tickets to worry about the people who actually make this country tick......

Rant over

PJ
    www.pdsil.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Hi PJ

You aren't really comparing like with like.
    The IEDR operates a managed registry, whereby you have to qualify for a domain name before it issued.

I see valid arguments for and against that system, but I won't get into it here.

Could the IEDR be better run?
    Yes

Should the domains be cheaper?
    Yes

Should they be the same price as .com/.net/.biz etc?
    Depends on how you want to run the registry, but I don't really think so. Most other ccTLD's aren't, but then look at the .co.uk domain and it's success.

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by misterq
    Hi PJ
    Should they be the same price as .com/.net/.biz etc?
    Depends on how you want to run the registry, but I don't really think so. Most other ccTLD's aren't, but then look at the .co.uk domain and it's success.

Ronan

The .ie's are completely overpriced.
    If you are involved in hosting and/or domain registration maybe you should have a look at IrishHostReview

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by blacknight
    The .ie's are completely overpriced.
    If you are involved in hosting and/or domain registration maybe you should have a look at IrishHostReview
    "This site is under construction"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by kbannon
    "This site is under construction"
    Click on the link for the forum:
    http://www.irishhostreview.com/phpBB2/index.php

Advertisement