Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know why................

Options
  • 15-05-2003 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

When I ordered my business line of Esat/BT it was the 512/256 one........but I checked my commection and it is actually 608/320?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Don't complain thats a good thing :-)

I've seen this with esat before and its good, ALL good :)

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BlackFlag

Oh I am not lol I am getting better ping in english game servers then the English themselves lol
    just wondering how/why etc

curious

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

They may be configured so that the adsl line itself will train up and connect at a higher speed than sold, but the actually data rate that you can download stuff it will be as advertised, either by limiting this in their network or through adsl overhead.

Eircom's 'business' services both train up at 1024, and the 512 service is 'data' limited.

The overhead for adsl is about 90% due to using ATM. So you would need a ~560k line to get 512k data.

Either way, I do believe that having it train at a higher rate is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BlackFlag

Ya interesting enough as far as my m8s online told me 64kb/s (dividing by 8 normally brings the dl speed)should be my maximum dl speed but I can get 65 if the site has enough bandwidth...which I attribute to the bit extra that ESAT gave me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

its the same as powernet i connect to the server at 10mbps but i dont download at this. Its done like this so they in time can upgrade the service with less cost

• Advertisement
Advertisement