Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to toggle picture download ?

Options
  • 15-05-2003 3:05pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In most browsers there is an option to download audio / pictures or not - but it is usually 4 clicks and a scroll away...

Is there a way of having an On/Off button on a per window basis so when you have several windows open you can turn off pictures /audion and all that junk on slow sites while getting more than text in the faster ones ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

if u told us what browser and os u use , it might help ur cause

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm using IE6sp1 in Windows 98/NT/2Kpro, but am considering upgrading to IE5.5

Will happily use netscape/opera as well if I can get a "turbo" button :)

(also looking at the browsers in Knoppix - but that's a different story)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    I'm using IE6sp1 in Windows 98/NT/2Kpro, but am considering upgrading to IE5.5

whats the advantage of DOWNGRADING from v6 to v5.5 ?

i dont know of any function to pick and choose the images you want, bar some kind of 3rd party software

what i tend to do in your situation, say when reading COMIC sites. simply hit STOP of ESC (in IE) and RIGHT CLICK > SHOW PICTURE on the placeholder of your choice. you may not have placeholder enabled in your browser, so flick it on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In IE options..
    Multimedia
    Image Download Placeholder - ON
    Play Animations / Sounds / Video OFF

Show pictures <--- This it the one I want to toggle on/off

IE does not respond promptly to Esc much of the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Its in opera beside the address bar, little camera icon (depending on what skin you're using),
    click once it stops loading pictures but leaves the ones that have half loaded, click again it displays text only, click again and it recommences picture downloads,
    you can go around the page right clicking and showing the ones you want,

say when reading COMIC sites

heheh "COMIC" :D

[edit] you can just press G to do the same thing

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

hmmm ...but on mozilla, you can't load a page, stop all the images loading, and then view a single image ....(without loading a new page for the image)
    bah

there's probably a way, but blah blah ...

cool, i'll wait for the full release though, anyway, as a user of mozilla do you find that it crashes an awful lot, especially when you've opened lots of tabs & you have to resize it into a small corner of the screen for it to be functional
    grr ...

• Advertisement

Mozilla 1.2.1

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130
    it happened on previous installations too
    i think i've read on their site it's a recognised flaw :mad:

something like this