Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Referee controversy

• 15-05-2003 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

There was a major talking point at Goodison Park as Manchester United claimed the Premiership trophy , referee Mike Riley was controversionally left out of the medal ceremony

Riley, who awarded United the 7th penalty he has given them this
    season, and who has also sent off four opposition players, fumed "It's
    ridiculous. I've done more to earn them that trophy than probably
    anyone except Van Nistelrooy. And he wouldn't have that Golden Boot
    either if it wasn't for the seven penalties I've given him. I'm really
    disappointed and will be taking this up with the referee's union".

However, it is reported that United manager Alex Ferguson is privately
    disappointed with the official's performances over the season and
    thinks they should've had "at least ten penalties" from him. Reports
    are circulating that the Scot is considering removing Riley from the
    Old Trafford payroll and signing Andy D'Urso as a replacement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

It's funny cos it's trueww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Jesus, never realised that referee's were on club payrolls. How does that work?
    Is that not a complete conflict of interests. I referee for basketball and am never allowed to do my own club's game's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

each premiership club gets one referee each season , they rotate this to make it fairer so it's unlikely the same ref will be paid by the same team 2 years running and gives them less chance to develop personal relationships with the players.

Graham Poll used to train with Arsenal last season !!

Funny old world allright , but i doubt any of this would influence a referee in the course of a game.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pendulum

I think Refs are influenced as there are so many outside factors involved. e.g. abusive players/crowd, pressure match, TV cameras.

I would find it difficult to remain totally unaffected in that situation.(heh guess thats y im not a ref :rolleyes: ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

how many pens did utd get awarded this season? wat sort of ratio of pens has this chap compared to other refs and other teams he's reffed during the season? and teams he's been associated with in the past few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

This kinda thing is taken for granted up in Scotland, just part of the culture of football up there!
    However, as Celtic have proved over the last few seasons if your teams good enough (or the others are bad enough) youll win through in the end no matter what or who is stacked up against you!

Arsenal fans take note!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

hehe@ gaffo

you do know they taking the mick right and i hope ur just playing along :p

Majority of penalties were awarded to Utd for actualy fowls on their players (and Nistelroy diving). Why call their ability to cheat and make players fowl em outta the equation and just blame the ref instead? *cough* :)

Advertisement