Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI for C

Options
  • 15-05-2003 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

does anyone know how to create a GUI colours etc. for use with C? At the moment my program takes input from the screen but I'd like to livein it up a bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

What GUI are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brugi

I'm not using any GUI at the moment, just running it off the command window. Could you recommend a GUI to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I like KDevelop for Linux...

There's a version of Turbo C for Windows free I think...

Google for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by brugi
    I'm not using any GUI at the moment, just running it off the command window. Could you recommend a GUI to use?
    Well the GUI would normally be the underlying windowing system the shell provides. E.g. Windows' windowing system, X-Windows for UNIX.

You probably want to use whatever windowing system the shell you most commonly use provides.

The windowing system will provide some sort of API that allows you to work with it. E.g. Windows provides a bunch of functions and datatypes for dealing with windows, another bunch for drawing operations, etc.

On top of that you may have a windowing library which wraps this API in classes and functions that make it easier to handle the API. In particular it's easier in C++ to deal with classes that delegate to the API than with the API itself (which is defined in a manner more natural to C than C++). MFC is an example of this for Windows.

There are platform neutral windowing APIs and libraries which give a common interface to the differing windowing systems in existence. I can't say that I know much about them.

So what you want to look at depends on your operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Also you may not want or need a full blown IDE, perhaps something like xemacs or UltraEdit would suit your purposes.

But like my misspelt :) co-mod said, you need to tell us what OS you're talking about.

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If you're looking for a windows GUI I would suggest Dev-C++ (it doe sboth C/C++) before shelling out crazy money.

It runs off the MINGW compiler and has lots of nifty little features.

Get ithere

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Whatever GUI API you use you will need to produce, not a lot, but a fair bit of code to actually get stuff up on the screen (this is generally the case)

If you just want to do windows stuff you should look at MFC, if you want to go cross-platform you should check out QT or GTK.

If you want fancy 3D stuff have a gander at OpenGL.

IMO avoid DirectX like the plague, the API changes far too often.

Advertisement