Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hula Hoops and littering

• 16-05-2003 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

This poll is to settle a small argument between myself and a friend. The other day several minutes and many meters after my friend purchased a packet of Hula Hoops my friend discovered that his packet was damaged. He tested one Hula hoop for edibility only to discover that the product was stale. After this discovery he came up with a plan to dispose of the hula hoops (excluding packet), the plan consisted of 2 stages, telling me about his plan and drooping the hula hoops under his car. After he gave me the details of the plan I opposed by commenting that I believe that such action should be considered littering. He quickly attempted to counter my opposition by 'informing' me that hula hoops were biodegradable and then he quickly executed his plan.

This poll aims not only to answer the question of whether the planned dropping of Hula Hoops is littering but whether planning and dropping any biodegradable material in a public area is littering.

Please note that the hula hoops were dropped on tarmac.

Is the intentional dropping of hula hoops onto tarmac littering? 10 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    60% 6 votes
    I don't care!
    40% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

you should have posted them back to KP and demanded lots of free stuff in return or at least a packet to replace the damaged one.

I'm sure the birds and other animals will eat the hula hoops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Trev

I urge everyone to give this an "I don't care vote". Plus, this is surely on the wrong forum anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Something

/me points at trev and accuses him of crimes against society, LITTERING!

Do I know you? :)

Surely these hula hoops would have been washed away with the rain and down a near by drain. Did you go back the next day and check if the hula hoops were there?

What am I saying, I voted 'I don't care'. :)

yes, i belive we have met on one or more occasion. If you read the post properly you would understand the argument or you'll be more confused :)

Anyway, its not about how long they're there, tbh.

• Advertisement

This will be the last post I make on this topic.

The point is:

If you dropped an empty packet of hula hoops on the floor, I assume you would pick it up?
    If you dropped a hula hoop on the floor, would you pick that up?

Thank you, and good night.

Theres a kinda big difference between doing something by accident and doing it intentionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I would say that it is littering if it is in a built up area.

I would throw an apple out of the window of a car in the countryside because it is biodegradable but I wouldn't throw an apple onto the street of a city, that's just dirty scumbag littering in my book. And the justification for your dirty friend is this: People do not want to walk around a city with rotting stale food on the streets. Walking round the countryside is OK in my book because Mother Nature is in the house.

Anything that is left in a street not chained up or locked - is litter.

(yes that includes people too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Bio degradable,but more likely to be eaten by rats.

Originally posted by Gordon
    I would say that it is littering if it is in a built up area.

I would throw an apple out of the window of a car in the countryside because it is biodegradable but I wouldn't throw an apple onto the street of a city, that's just dirty scumbag littering in my book. And the justification for your dirty friend is this: People do not want to walk around a city with rotting stale food on the streets. Walking round the countryside is OK in my book because Mother Nature is in the house.

Anything that is left in a street not chained up or locked - is litter.

(yes that includes people too!)

Wasn't in the city streets. It was just at the side of an insignificant road where my car was parked to walk to college. The only reason I did it was to save me dropping them all in my car. It was near a drain, and it was a wet day. I would not have done it in any other circumstance.

Do not call me dirty. I never drop litter intentionally and if it's an accident I will pick it up.. This was just a few hula hoops which would be washed down a drain within an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aha we have a culprit!

Well, I guess it depends. Our faeces goes into the drains at the end of the day, so why not a couple of hoola hoops? Should this not be in humanities? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Its not littering because they are biodegradeable and the birds will probably eat them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you had left the bag there, then yes, it would be littering.
    But imo no you didnt litter. As said they are biodegradable and it's likely an animal would eat them, or they would just turn to mush and disolve in the wet.
    Technically it probably is littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Originally posted by Makaveli

Technically it probably is littering.
    shows what a fuked up world we live in

Advertisement