Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk item today 1:40pm

Options
  • 16-05-2003 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

IrelandOffline have been invited on air by Newstalk 106 for a discussion on Ireland's Internet access deficit, today at 1:40pm.
    There will be other speakers also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Can anyone archive this???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Hey,
    I wouldn't mind listening to this. Is it being streamed online?

Later
    Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

http://62.25.96.7/newstalk

Windows media audio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Well done to Dangger was very good lets hope something good come's from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Well done David. Lightweight treatment by Newstalk as usual though, I rang and gave out to them...suggested eircom/ComReg/IDA should be brought on to explain why we are doing so badly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

I had trouble with getting the strem to work, e.g. it didn't, anyone else have trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

well done dave, looking forward to hearing it,
    nudge, nudge .. mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

mp3 of interview here (32kbs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Very good, our friend from the Irish Internet Association needs to Dumb down her arguements a little, me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by MDR
    Very good, our friend from the Irish Internet Association needs to Dumb down her arguements a little, me thinks.

Firstly, well done Dave :)

Secondly, I would agree with MDR's above quote. Didn't come across very well and came across (to me anyway) as waffling/repeating aimlessly at points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Good interview, newstalk sort of didnt give enough time on the real issues, like line failures in BB enabled areas, but hopefully when the TV3 piece is done you can slip that in there somewhere

regards

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

but hopefully when the TV3 piece is done you can slip that in there somewhere

Yes indeed, this is still on the cards, and has been pushed back a a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

You did well. If the Newstalk guy had let you talk a bit more freely and not interrupt with stupid questions, I think you could have done even better. The 88 out of 1000 exchanges is a good piece of statistics to base the argument on. It may be worth pointing out that a lot of people on the enabled exchanges can't get the service either.

The interruptions were not stupid questions, but indicitive of the kind of difficulties you experience when talking on this subject.

You've got to avoid tech but sometimes that's unavoidable as interviewers will often ask a tech question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

It was a very good interview. I texted in a few comments.

But overall it went very well. Fair play David.

Damian Kiberd's questions were very apt. It is a pity that this station is not available outside Dublin.

But it was an informative & David and Ireland OffLine came out pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Thanks to *Skepticone.

I have just listened to the MP3 version of the interview. All I can state is that given the time constraints which are inevitable on a live News broadcast.

David managed to get his message out to the listeners in a quietly educational manner. A complex under pressure interview, handled beautifully.

This type of media coverage is exactly whats needed. Lets hope the upcoming TV3 interview will justify the amount of time they are spending on research and preperation.

Pady20;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Dangger: why is it everytime you get the chance to hilight and educate the public you miss the opertunity with low key non aggresive posturing??
    air time is your only! chance to educate the masses yet you avoid saying what needs to be said and only when you had about 30 sec of air time left did you slightly mention what you shoud have said from the start mentioning eircom.

Sorry you where being wayy too polite and i notice the only time we got any kind of real info was when the interviewer asked key questions...
    You realy must learn to simplify in the 1st sentance then attack for the rest not the other way around.. :ninja:

Perhaps air time is my only chance to educate the publc, but it's not my only time to educate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    Dangger: why is it everytime you get the chance to hilight and educate the public you miss the opertunity with low key non aggresive posturing??
    air time is your only! chance to educate the masses yet you avoid saying what needs to be said and only when you had about 30 sec of air time left did you slightly mention what you shoud have said from the start mentioning eircom.

Sorry you where being wayy too polite and i notice the only time we got any kind of real info was when the interviewer asked key questions...
    You realy must learn to simplify in the 1st sentance then attack for the rest not the other way around.. :ninja:

I disagree, I think it was very good, not too technical, yet he still got his point across in manner that everyone can understand and still managed to put the boot into Eircom with points on the very slow and limited rollout of DSL, the very high line price and the government throwing the baby out with the bathwater :) when they gave Eircom the network.

Good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Farrah

Originally posted by MadsL
    Well done David. Lightweight treatment by Newstalk as usual though, I rang and gave out to them...suggested eircom/ComReg/IDA should be brought on to explain why we are doing so badly.

I missed the interview but happened to be listening to the show sometimes afterwards. They mentioned this - that somebody had complained that Eircom etc wasn't on the show and they said that they had invited them all to take part but strangly enough - they declined.

What a surprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Nicely done Dave, you came across well, made good points .... the "chief executive" person came across as a waffler ... she may have known her stuff but couldn't put it across (am I consider myself well up in the whole Eircon saga and technology in general)

P.S. Is the Irish internet assoc. a company and is she getting paid? is it a full time job? ... jaysus .. Dave do up your CV and send it in to them with this interview taped ... heh:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Dave,

well done indeed. I am not surprised however that Eicom refused to go on the show. They don't have any valid points to make to excuse their poor price/performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Hey, great interview mate. I think you really made your point clear.

What is this upcoming TV3 interview though?

following on from the tv3 piece on broadband that wa aired a week ago or so and a very long story that im not mentioning here, tv3 is doing a follow up interview on this next week

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

My point about stupid questions was that you (Dangger) did a very good job presenting the case even to non-technical people and the questions didn't actually improve your delivery in any way, as your answers were mostly just a repetition what you had just said, as you originally presented the information in about as non-technical a way as is possible given the topic. Anyways, water under the bridge.

Shin,

Stop teasing. If you know when the follow up TV3 interview presumeably with our Chairman David Long [Dangger] is going on air this coming week?..

Then at least name the day, for heavens sake!.

Paddy20;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Just listened to the MP3. Excellent stuff David. So when’s the TV3 interview on?

OHP

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Shin,

Stop teasing. If you know when the follow up TV3 interview presumeably with our Chairman David Long [Dangger] is going on air this coming week?..

Then at least name the day, for heavens sake!.

Paddy20;)

Sorry m8, i only know it as next week, david long said this on the first page of this post LOL

Shin :D:D

TV3 are currently reviewing material we sent to them and hope to do something on it this week coming .

• Advertisement

Anyone heard anything about the TV3 News team follow up which was being previewed for a possible airtime slot for sometime this week?..

Paddy20.

Advertisement