Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Latin scholars amongst us?

• 16-05-2003 11:08am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know this is the English board and all but I figured there might be a Latin scholar or two hanging around here as well.

(Perhaps we should have a Classics board? *muse*).

Anyway, I'm looking to translate "There is only one Queen" into latin, not a hard task you might think but I want to get it right and my latin is quite rusty since I havent studied it since school.
    Anyone out there proficient at Latin?

DeV.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So far all I can add is:

Unus = "Only one"
    Regina = "Queen"

I cant find a direct translation for "There is" and I suspect I recall that there isnt a direct translation for it and its somehow irregular...

"Sum" is the verb to be but doesnt work here afaicr...

Any classically inclined peeps out there?

DeV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Unus tantum Regina est is what I would guess based on half-remembering that Unus tantum Deus est means "there is only one god". But I'm not even slightly sure of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sorry to jump on the back of this buh...I was going to ask for a Latin translation of the following on the Italian board.

1) "Until the end of time."

2) "Things must be done one at a time."

The closest I can get is for the first one is Tempus Terminus, which probably means "time's end" or "time ends" (if it means anything at all!).

I wonder could it be considered a poetic way of expressing oneself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I was studing Latin in secondry school and i liked it, found it a little easy but the school decided to drop it as an option for the JC :(

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I don't know how useful this will be to you Dev, found it years ago, a latin grammar dictonary...

http://homepage.eircom.net/~cult/files/dict_lat.exe

about 300k...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Una regina sola est

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Una regina solum est

Advertisement