Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW info

Options
  • 16-05-2003 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

I am thinking of buying a 92 BMW 316I Is there anything I need to look out for ???? And are they a reliable car ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

The interiors pre '93 quality shakeup can be a little rattly, but that should all be sorted. The 4 pots are known not to be as bulletproof as the sixer's but provided you have some sort of service history (not necessarily bmw) you won't have any probs with the car! Enjoy!

But if u can stretch to it a 320 is great value & lower insurance than a 318iS

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have found the opposite - a 318iS is cheaper to insure than a 320i (with both e30 [80's model] & e36 [80's model]).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Start car from cold, if you can hear a ticking from engine for a few seconds, it could have worn hydraulic tappets, gets progressivly worse.

The thing about the interior Mytango mentioned about the interior, the glove box lid used to rattle (can be sorted though), it was redesigned 93/94

Check the service history, if the previous owner didn't keep upto date with the maintenance, it could be expensive to bring it back to date, shocks etc.. as with everything..

Body work is generally rust free.

Silencer should have been replaced, if not i's nearly due, the original silencer lasts about 10 years.

Drive the car along a rough road and listen for any thuds from rear of car, if its present, shock mounts could be gone (last about 40K miles) cost about €18/each from dealers...

No problems with engine and transmisson.

Had 1 for 3 years and loved it, replaced it with a 325 tds and will buy another one when i get tired of this one.

Did all the maintenance on mine and plenty of room to work on the engine in the engine bay in comparison to the 6 pots...

Check steering rack for dampness.

The engine in the '91 E36 was the m40, which was carried over from the E30 316i, replaced with a new engine around '93, about 5 bhp more...

Any more questions and i'll try and help...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I will be buying a 94/95 318i in the near future, any1 got any detailed specs and/or links for specs. Any1 out there ever owned 1 and if so whats the verdict? cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement