Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where have all the poster's gone

• 16-05-2003 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

what's the storey why doesn't anyone bother with the carlow it board it used to be hopping the whole time. And for all the smartasses don't say it's because of the exams i know thats a lot of the reason but carlow it people are still posting on other boards

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

People are expanding and discovering that there is more to boards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe the novely has worn off?
    It has got amazingly quite here though compared to what it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Nearly, every one of us are sitting exams, i just don't have time to post anymore....
    Trying to put a years work into two weeks is just not the easiest thing to do.
    saying that I really should get back to it.
    Ah maybe tomorrow, or sunday, it is the weekend.

And i can't understand how i'm failing everything. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

its coz people are finding that boards isnt all that fun anymore since fun stuff(spamming) was outlawed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Peeps are either studyin, bored with it or spamming the hell out of the carlowit and boards.ie channels on irc. Boards more so now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

boards isn't boring, just the carlow board

for some reason i think spamming was always frowned upon.......its not just recent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BlueHaze

They all probably realised that it was a waste of time coming onto Carlow It Boards. Boards where they had no freedom of expression and were constantly censored or restricted in their threads by some muppet moderator who feels it is his / her duty to exercise their alter egotistical power in their own little internet pseudo world, and treat us all like children. Children whom of course should be greatful to the all mighty DeVore and his little cult of moderators for allowing us to post our threads here. What a pack of patronising egotistical sad muppets! Let them continue riding their high horses upon their power trip, and observe closely how many more people leave for any of the thousands of other discussion groups on the internet, moderated by intelligent adults with a bit of sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

another 1 to add the the "jealous of mordeth's hair" list lol
    /me awaits flame

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Theres a standard code of practice everywhere,whether its boards,irc,the pub or in work and it has to be followed,
    The mods are the people here who have to make sure that that that code is followed,
    If you dont like it stop moaning and go find somewhere else to voice your opinions and post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

how's about you **** of bluehaze!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GreenFirefly

Oh dear, it seems that I have upsey a few people in here. I take it that you are all personal friends of the moderator in here, thats cool! As for a code of practice everywhere, exactly what society or democracy do you live in where another person deems what you say not relevant or inappropiate and thus decides to 'lock' you out? Do the pubs you visit have a designated place for people talking bull****, another for those conversing on sport, or perhaps another corner especially for people wishing to exercise their freedom of speech, God for bid!
    Finally, from your last comment about how I should go and 'voice my oppinions somewhere else' isnt that what thousands more seem to be doing on Boards.ie, and isnt that what discussion boards are all about, voicing oppinions, and freedom of speech between complete strangers arising in argumentitive conversations or total agreement?
    I remember a mate of mine who attends Carlow IT recently telling me how boring the Carlow IT board was. More importantly that some fool named DeVore and actually came in here all God allmighty and Big father like, ridiculing the Carlow It posters and threatining to take away their board, tut tut you ungreatful little brats lol ! I actually came in to see for myself, and couldnt believe this fool mouthing off as if you all were not worthy to be here. What was even more surprising was that nobody said anything to the git, incredible!
    Anyway, I have wasted far too much time discussing what most intelligent people know already, Boards.ie are a joke and to take those imortal words of wisdom from carlow Its resident literary genius 'Bicky' Im going to **** of, whatever that means?

Ciao!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GreenFirefly

lol @ Sinnocense.... Has the moderator in here got vast amounts of hair I should be jealous about? Well considering Im well on the road to becoming a baldy, I hate the fuc**r :-) Just to add that although my previous post may seem to have been a personal attack on the moderator in here on Carlow Boards, it wasnt intended to be......... Ciao!

Rise up Bald people and cut this mans hair!

Hehehe
    You really have nothin beeter to do with ur life then come on to boards and moan bout it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by BlueHaze
    They all probably realised that it was a waste of time coming onto Carlow It Boards. Boards where they had no freedom of expression and were constantly censored or restricted in their threads by some muppet moderator who feels it is his / her duty to exercise their alter egotistical power in their own little internet pseudo world, and treat us all like children. Children whom of course should be greatful to the all mighty DeVore and his little cult of moderators for allowing us to post our threads here. What a pack of patronising egotistical sad muppets! Let them continue riding their high horses upon their power trip, and observe closely how many more people leave for any of the thousands of other discussion groups on the internet, moderated by intelligent adults with a bit of sense!
    You know what, about half way through your post I almost forgot that this is not a public service provided by the government and funded my tax-payers, I almost forgot that this is a privately owned website, privately funded and privately run website and that the people who moderate the website do so in their free time. I nearly forgot that they are not providing a service and that they are not making any money out of this. I also almost forgot the website www.boards.ie is owned by “Spin Solutions” a private company that does not profit from www.boards.ie. You know what, I nearly forgot.
    Originally posted by GreenFirefly
    As for a code of practice everywhere, exactly what society or democracy do you live in where another person deems what you say not relevant or inappropiate and thus decides to 'lock' you out? Do the pubs you visit have a designated place for people talking bull****, another for those conversing on sport, or perhaps another corner especially for people wishing to exercise their freedom of speech, God for bid!.........I remember a mate of mine who attends Carlow IT recently telling me how boring the Carlow IT board was. More importantly that some fool named DeVore and actually came in here all God allmighty and Big father like, ridiculing the Carlow It posters and threatining to take away their board, tut tut you ungreatful little brats lol ! I actually came in to see for myself, and couldnt believe this fool mouthing off as if you all were not worthy to be here. What was even more surprising was that nobody said anything to the git, incredible!...
    Hmmmm.... yours was not as inspiring as the other guy but I believe the same point applies. You people seem to forget that the money put into www.boards.ie is coming out of Tom’s (DeVore), and people like him, pocket and that if they and the people they elect, to run the site, decide to moderate what is said on their privately owned website than that should be up to them. If you want to have a bbs where people do what they want go and buy the rights to a bbs, a domain and pay for all that and they run it your self. Other wise, go **** your self and stop being an absolute muppet

Could somebody please summarise those long posts for me? i'm too damn lazy to read em!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by Snowball
    You know what, about half way through your post I almost forgot that this is not a public service provided by the government and funded my tax-payers, I almost forgot that this is a privately owned website, privately funded and privately run website and that the people who moderate the website do so in their free time. I nearly forgot that they are not providing a service and that they are not making any money out of this. I also almost forgot the website www.boards.ie is owned by “Spin Solutions” a private company that does not profit from www.boards.ie. You know what, I nearly forgot.Hmmmm.... yours was not as inspiring as the other guy but I believe the same point applies. You people seem to forget that the money put into www.boards.ie is coming out of Tom’s (DeVore), and people like him, pocket and that if they and the people they elect, to run the site, decide to moderate what is said on their privately owned website than that should be up to them. If you want to have a bbs where people do what they want go and buy the rights to a bbs, a domain and pay for all that and they run it your self. Other wise, go **** your self and stop being an absolute muppet

Now First I just want to point out that I'm not disagreeing with you by default, I actually read your post and it just so happens, I disagree.

Fair enough boards.ie is privately owned and belongs to someone.

But its not really fair to promote "some" elements of democracy (sugestions/report posts/report mods) if as soon as it makes you uncomfortable you hide your head under the blanket of "We're not a democracy".

And its possible to be privately owned and DEMOCRATIC.

After all thats the new buzz word of our generation isnt it, democracy, freedom etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

I'm gona have to agree with Ivam in some parts.

People are entitled to there opinions, but it doesn't mean we have to be subjected to peoples opinions all the time

Originally posted by Ivan
    But its not really fair to promote "some" elements of democracy (sugestions/report posts/report mods) if as soon as it makes you uncomfortable you hide your head under the blanket of "We're not a democracy".
    Ivan, u've been around long enough to know that boards.ie is not democratic and never has been. Never even possed the illusion that it might be. Even dictatorships have systems in place to allow the common man to complain about the local representitive. Does not mean that it will make a differance.

Although I have to admit that there is an element of the ["as soon as it makes you uncomfortable you hide your head under the blanket of "We're not a democracy"."] sindrome is there it does not change the facts.

Boards.ie is not for the people by the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Originally posted by Ivan

Now First I just want to point out that I'm not disagreeing with you by default
    haha

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

i think some ppl have exams at this time of the year

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Oh shut up, shut up, shut up.

I don't care how boards is run, people like it, people use it so accept it. So Bluehaze & GreenFireFly **** off an take your suggestions to the Feedback section of the pub where more ppl will give a crap.
    And dara get off you high horse, you are not an elected representive of us or of boards so don't go lecturing people fo what they should and should not do. Bluehaze & GreenFireFly are entitled to be here as much as anyone of use here and complain as long as they do it in the relevent place.
    And ciaran I think you are disagreeing by default, it's what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭ratman

thanks now i feel like sleeping. ****heads stop flaming my thead

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

Some people like boards, some people dont. Whatever rocks your boat guys!

having now gone to the trouble of reading GreenFirefly and BlueHazes posts I have come to agree with Bicky. F**k off indeed.
    Boards.ie requires moderators for a few reasons.
    1) It has users of varying age profile therefore it's content needs to be monitored and where appropriate censored.
    2) Due to it's large ammount of users spam has to be kept to a minimum to take some of the load off the server.
    3) Spam is also minimised for the sake of it's regular users mental wellbeing!!!

In short, if you have a problem with taking part in a moderated discussion group why bother using one? I think it's fair to say you wouldn't be missed if you did "**** off".

IMHO boards.ie offers a lot more than some of the more idiotic message board sites O have come accross and I think this is largely due to the way it is run.

Good day to you sirs/madammes.

Don1:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well said don.

(QUICK SLAG ME OFF I AM A MODERATOR)

Originally posted by TomTom
    And dara get off you high horse, you are not an elected representive of us or of boards so don't go lecturing people fo what they should and should not do.
    Tom, stfu. my oppinion my say my post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Originally posted by Stephen
    Well said don.

(QUICK SLAG ME OFF I AM A MODERATOR)

he's the short haired unloveable one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Mord is the greasy long-haired smelly one.

Are you coming back to us in September or what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

doubt it
    dunno what I'm at yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Havin' been a member of Maynooth's boards for awhile, I can safely say that this board is very restrictive, and for a good reason!

Maynooths boards (Mikado), is moderated by 3rd and 4th years, and there's alot of them. And the audience is all over 17.

Here, there is no minimum age (as far as I can see), and it is moderated by a few volenteers, out of their own time.
    Some are students.
    Some have jobs.
    But they all do a good job of it.

And yer lucky I'm not modding the place, or you would have complained a lot sooner, about the lack of moderating, and how the boards would have gone to hell.
    Luckily, I'm not moderating the boards, thus your able to flame the mods...

Just count yer blesssing...

Advertisement