Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brooktree 848/878/879 TV Capture Cards

• 16-05-2003 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any information on these cards? Suppliers, picture quality, connecters, that type of stuff? I need to use these cards, and pretty much no other ones, under BeOS, mainly just for watching/recording TV, but occasionally for other video capture stuff. However, I haven't seen any reviews of them, as they are pretty old cards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Erm, one example I can think of is the Pinnacle PCTV Rave - it's based on the BT878 (mine has a Philips tuner module).

Connectors:

1 x RF-in (for as many of the damn things as I've seen and fitted, I'm not sure what they're actually called - that's embarrassing!)
    1 x S-Video in
    1 x Stereo Line out (3.5mm "headphone" style) for pass-through to sound card.

Picked it up for about £50 maybe three years ago - the same model was still on sale a month or two ago, so prob. Still is. Picture quite okay with strong signal, not impressed with tuner. (However, am living about 150m from a mobile mast so that might be relevant)

A number of the PCI-based Hauppage WinTV products also use these chips - maybe you should do a google?
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thanks, I'll google, and then physically go into the shops and ask the techies... Do my usual, ask them to shove it in a system and let me put a live CD in

Try to get a video source of some kind other than a pair of rabbit ears or similar - remember anywhere with a lot of CRT monitors will jeopardise TV reception, and if you're in a steel-framed "superstore"-type place, well, you're sunk without some other form of RF source... maybe a games console with an RF modulator?

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have a TFT and use analogue cable with a very steady signal (very recent cables for a Chorus line). Shouldn't be too much of a problem

Originally posted by MYOB
    I have a TFT and use analogue cable with a very steady signal (very recent cables for a Chorus line). Shouldn't be too much of a problem

Actually, I meant if you were trying it in the shop, but good for you nonetheless... just keep the TFT's inverter away from the tuner.

Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hauppuage WinTV cards use a BT878 as well.

Advertisement