Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The price of cabbage

• 16-05-2003 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I mean come on people are yee really interested in the price of cabbage??

On a serious note has anyone any funny experiences with regard to pre-race preparation? Does it really make a difference what an athlete those the night before a race? I know we should all make sure to get enough sleep, carbo load to increase muscle gylcogen levels etc etc.

Just this week I have had the best training session of the year to date. I was running the most relaxed I have in a long time and I was running quicker too! And what was doing the night before I was out drinking the and drinking every kind of drink from beer to coctails to shots. Apply to same theory to races?? Chances you will get a good night sleep at least there will be less analyising of the race the next day. If I ran the same way I did in training I am certain I would race well.

Any thoughts?

Disclaimer

(PS I am over 18 and do not condone the use of alcohol as an ergogenic aid in anyway) ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tim-Thrower Tim

Something throwers have done for years.

Sedykh and Litvinov were on the piss the night before they both broke the world hammer record in Cork. The last thing the Irish hammer thrower remembers (having failed to drink the boys under the table with guinness) is Sedykh producing a bottle of vodka and saying "Now we really start drinking"

Two years ago I was talking to Olibhe in Jurys after the Cork City sports. It was about 3 am. She asked me if I was throwing in the morning, my club had neglected to tell me that the leagues were on. I wandered home finishing off two bottles of bulmers, I threw 2 pb's and an sb.

At the Easter throws meet I threw ok, went out for a load of beer and broke my dicsus pb the following day in the leevale sports in spite of having torn muscles in my shoulder the previous day.

Moral of the story? I think you're more relaxed if you've had a load of beer the night before. Don't know what you run but being relaxed is very important for throwing.

So obviously, according to my theory, as I'm off the booze at the moment I'm going to throw crap tomorrow :)

32.67 in the AAI Games, 33.87 in the relays, down from 35 and 2 x 34 at the Leevale sports. I'll have to get pissed before the nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fergalfit

Hard luck in Navan. a few more meters and you would have jumped to 4th!

Mr Menton corrected something in my turn on Sunday, with a little practise I'll be breaking that pb again soon. Did you run?

I wasnt invited *sob* not good enough anyway! Hopefully will run some decent times this summer.

• Advertisement

Invited? We invited ourselves :) Who in the AAI would invite 3 35m discus throwers? I hate to admit how bad I am but based on world records it would be like inviting 3 21 second 100m "sprinters". Maybe you should try inviting yourself next time.

Im not in the country anyway! In England at the moment and very annoyed that I prob wont make it back for the Munster U-23s.

Fair enough. If your back for the Munster seniors I'll be the confused looking one in the discus cage.

Advertisement